DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air worthiness certificate

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Is it necessary to get an air worthiness certificate
What is the basis of your flight operations? Are you wanting to do something that isn't covered under Part 107 or Section 44809?

Getting a AWC is going to be a huge and extensive process and well outside the scope/ability of most of us.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
@BigA107
Yes this is a complex process.
In my study for the 107 test I came across this topic and the different types of drone operations. It was unclear to me, as I read the statute and comments, if it was something I would need to dig into further. I have concluded at this point that it is not necessary.
Thank you.

@BigA107
Yes this is a complex process.
In my study for the 107 test I came across this topic and the different types of drone operations. It was unclear to me, as I read the statute and comments, if it was something I would need to dig into further. I have concluded at this point that it is not necessary.
Thank you.

If your flight operations are able to be done under Part 107 or Exemption 44809 the request for AWC will be denied immediately. Thinks like Extended Flights Over People, BVLOS, and operators like UPS & Amazon will seek AWC into to operate outside of what is allowed under Part 107.

Reactions: EagleHead
If your flight operations are able to be done under Part 107 or Exemption 44809 the request for AWC will be denied immediately. Thinks like Extended Flights Over People, BVLOS, and operators like UPS & Amazon will seek AWC into to operate outside of what is allowed under Part 107.
Yes I understand this. Thank you.

Regarding BVLOS, would colored strobes meet the LOS rules even though the PIC may not otherwise be able to naked eye resolve the aircraft at distance?

Regarding BVLOS, would colored strobes meet the LOS rules even though the PIC may not otherwise be able to naked eye resolve the aircraft at distance?

Yes, but within reason / common sense.
They can help you find your drone when it disappears against a background (sky or ground), but . . .

The whole VLOS thing is about knowing your drones orientation, and relate that and a response if a manned aircraft comes into the airspace around it, and could be a concern.

If a drone was say a km from the pilot, it could be that the pilot doesn't hear the aircraft soon enough, or can't see it and tell what orientation / danger their drone may be to that aircraft.

There is no hard and fast rule as everyones eyesight is different, but strobes can help you at least see your drone faster in reasonable distance circumstances.

It's well known that white leds stand out way better than green or red, or other colours.
Green / red might be handy for night time use in some case to work out what way your drone is facing, but once the drone is say approx 500m (1600') away (purely as an example), lights seems to just blur together, and colours are not terribly easy to distinguish.

Yes I understand this. Thank you.

The rules state you must maintain VLOS and be able to determine orientation, altitude, speed, etc (My wording not FAR quote). Colored LEDs could aid in orientation etc but only up to a certain distance. The rules are vague "intentionally" so to allow us to make the decision as to what meets the requirements with our aircraft, current conditions, and our eyes.

What is the basis of your flight operations? Are you wanting to do something that isn't covered under Part 107 or Section 44809?

Getting a AWC is going to be a huge and extensive process and well outside the scope/ability of most of us.
Regarding my intended flight operations:

I intend to map a conservation area of approximately 200 acres.
Furthetmore I intend to thermal image for the purpose of counting and tracking wildlife in this refuge over time.
For instance: To track the movrment of deer populations over a set period of days and within each 24 hour day to track the daily movements.

This is s big job. The Mavic 3 is wounderful for imaging and close observation with 28X zoom. And btw, the 28X zoom captures very fine image detail.
But...the mavic 3 does not support functions necessary for the particular tasking I require for this project. I have bern researching other assets to accomplish these objectives.
I understand that Dronedeploy would be an effective mapping solution and that Litchi would also be usegul in other ways.

I would appreciate any comment or suggestion you may have in regard to these outlines of intended opetations.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760