DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Antenna Mod

haha this thing is awesome, if it works.

I will have a new boosted remote in a few weeks to play with so that I can join in the fun.

I finally got all my s**t together and replaced my defective parts. I ran a course that I previously used with a fixed configuration. The last run on this course produced a 1.3 mile range before all signal was lost and RTH kicked in. With the sunhams amp's now inline on the aircraft on the same course with 6 dBi external antennas, it made it to 3.0 miles before RTH kicked in.

This is absolute proof positive of significant range extension with bird-side amp's.

And I have to give MacIak props for his prediction that the video feed needs little or no amplification (see below).

Lastly, this run had 1x 5200 LiHv and 2x 1500 Lipo batteries. When the bird landed all 4 motors were SMOKING HOT and too hot to touch. And as all the experts here have already predicted, this configuration is just north of the max weight load the mavic can muster without doing damage to the bird.

I will continue to test several other configurations, but wanted to update the group with the first real statistics worthy of mention.

dronemods-018.png

dronemods-019.png dronemods-020.png

Reactions: sprtbkrydr
I finally got all my s**t together and replaced my defective parts. I ran a course that I previously used with a fixed configuration. The last run on this course produced a 1.3 mile range before all signal was lost and RTH kicked in. With the sunhams amp's now inline on the aircraft on the same course with 6 dBi external antennas, it made it to 3.0 miles before RTH kicked in.

This is absolute proof positive of significant range extension with bird-side amp's.

And I have to give MacIak props for his prediction that the video feed needs little or no amplification (see below).

Lastly, this run had 1x 5200 LiHv and 2x 1500 Lipo batteries. When the bird landed all 4 motors were SMOKING HOT and too hot to touch. And as all the experts here have already predicted, this configuration is just north of the max weight load the mavic can muster without doing damage to the bird.

I will continue to test several other configurations, but wanted to update the group with the first real statistics worthy of mention.

View attachment 17755

View attachment 17756 View attachment 17757

Oh snap...

For those debating topside batteries versus the sidecar method, here is one data point to consider. When the center of gravity on the mavic gets too high, fine motor control is difficult. On this last test run when I landed it lurched forward hard and nose dived into a rock.

Anyone have a used mavic camera for sale? :)

dronemods-021.png

Reactions: sprtbkrydr
This is all big news and great news as well. Well other than the part where you trashed your camera! Kudo's man you did a great job with it I think.

This is all big news and great news as well. Well other than the part where you trashed your camera! Kudo's man you did a great job with it I think.

I am going to start flying with the plastic bubble now. And all the naysayers that say it blocks airflow is complete crap. There is more than ample airflow areas in and around the bubble.

I am going to start flying with the plastic bubble now. And all the naysayers that say it blocks airflow is complete crap. There is more than ample airflow areas in and around the bubble.
Yeah if you had it on before that would have never happened to the camera.

View attachment 17755

View attachment 17756 View attachment 17757
Hey Bean! You mean that RC on bird side needs no amp (instead video feed as you wrote?). Too bad for the cam. Darn things are pricey as spare part! See : droneparts.de

What solution is that??
What do you mean? I can turn it on and off without having to unplug the usb cable each time. That's a big solution to me. Plus I have a 6800mAh battery that will never need charging!:)
I just did not like having the use the cable as an on/off switch ya know?

Reactions: MacIak
Hey Bean! You mean that RC on bird side needs no amp (instead video feed as you wrote?). Too bad for the cam. Darn things are pricey as spare part! See : droneparts.de

Did Voldemort test the new setup?

What do you mean? I can turn it on and off without having to unplug the usb cable each time. That's a big solution to me. Plus I have a 6800mAh battery that will never need charging!:)
I just did not like having the use the cable as an on/off switch ya know?
Switch is good! I wish i had one of them y cables with a proper + and - lead instead of the usb end. Would hook it onto a 3s lipo. I liked that the best. Maybe i can convert it, never messed with usb cables?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01