DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AirMap is back

Reactions: Droniac
You can Google it. There are plenty of other articles.
Vic I mean this with no disrespect, but making some very negative claims about a company like this and then saying "Because I said so and do your own research" is inadequate. You made those claims, went as far as to use the word cancerous and I think you should at least show some semblance of proof. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not saying you're not trustworthy. I don't have any strong feelings towards AirMap and I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I personally don't like when people rail against something or someone and then refuse to back up their claims and even worse say "Well people trust me, go google it."

Wouldn't it be nice that if someone googled "airmap datamining" or something similar and they found this thread and it actually had some links and some sources instead of what this thread has been? I am decent at using search engines and I can't find anything credible about AirMap data mining, so it's not as simple as just googling it.

Anyway here are a couple sources I found, please feel free to add to these:
Think of @Vic Moss and @BigAl07 as your Doctors. Seems both are telling you Airmap is like a cancer and you don't seem to want to hear the truth from two separate experts on the subject.

If that's the analogy you wanna go with, it's not unreasonable for someone to ask questions and for the doctor to answer those questions and educate their patient so they can make an informed decision on how to proceed instead of saying "I'm a doctor trust me, go google your disease". Do you see what I'm saying here? I'm not saying that Vic is wrong, I'm just asking them to post some of their proof after that claim so that we can all make an informed opinion on AirMap.

Well it is always nice to be well informed. I thought by now with all the negative comments would have been enough for anyone but I guess not. I am no expert on the subject and it really does not effect me in anyway as I do not reside in the usa. One thing I can tell you over the years (7 years and counting) of following people like Vic Moss and also having inside dealings with BigA107 I know both are very knowledgeable on FAA rules and what is going on in the industry. So I usually don't look any further on information that has already been answered. But thats just me.

Knowing a lot of this stuff gets buried and tweets get deleted I still managed to find some from Airmap. I'm sure there a lot more out there if someone wanted to spend the time to look. These are images and might be hard to read but this is the best I can do for now.
141864702_10158889073951624_2095522347406966156_n.jpg

141850782_10224605240615901_3322586422698409146_n.jpg

21949935_2035156710104421_7913863268507856461_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure people would consider me a reliable source. But there is plenty of other evidence on the internet.
I've heard some of these claims, but it's tricky to find clear, reliable sources for them.

Can you or somebody else please show some proof? Thank you.
Look no further. You’ve been exchanging with a totally Reliable source. Flysafe & Godspeed, Droniac

I have been using Home | Airspace Link for pilots since airmap went off the grid. I think the interface of airspacelink is quite user friendly, can do requests from the website or my phone, so preflight planning is a breeze.

Aloft's LAANC does not work from my chrome browser, on a PC. UASidekick, Skyward are not free to use, I don't think.

Reactions: SethB
As a newbie a few years back, as time & apps progressed, I too found Airmap a great product offering a better interface than other options. As within this post, older posts pointed out the concerns and non-benificial intentions by Airmap Owners.

I've since read various posts and internet, and have elected to accept the negative practice of Airmap towards the industry & small businesses and adopt a different tool for LAANC.

I've tried several tools (apps & web sites) and some are functional, although none approach the interface of AirMap... the "App" is probably the best... sadly associated with a unsatisfactory company with negative intentions for our industry.

I also hold & acknowledge the expertise of several mentioned above and accept their statements in capacity similar to expert testimonials. Although I do agree with the matter of "hearsay" vs "presentation of evidence", and appreciate & welcome links or resources of such evidence. It's not that the experts are invalid or disputed, but does appear to be a challenge obtaining the material.

The above post #45, certainly helps reinforce the statements... most factual material presented reinforcing all the expressions so far!

For those as myself, that stumble onto this thread. It'd be helpful if other options were listed out, and indicated format (web, ios app, Android app, etc). What opinions / experiences Others have with these apps.

Personally, I've found the Web site for airspacelink (airhub) .. not their app to be the closest to AirMap. Although canceling a mission isn't a feature I've found. I like it's navigation, screen draw, saving and reusing missions... color contrast could improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: SethB
…Personally, I've found the Web site for airspacelink (airhub) .. not their app to be the closest to AirMap. Although canceling a mission isn't a feature I've found. I like it's navigation, screen draw, saving and reusing missions... color contrast could improve.

@Dougcjohn Thanks for that summary, and especially for sharing your airspacelink guidance & website tip. I’m looking for traction with a non-Airmap LAANC provider…

…Personally, I've found the Web site for airspacelink (airhub) .. not their app to be the closest to AirMap. Although canceling a mission isn't a feature I've found. I like it's navigation, screen draw, saving and reusing missions... color contrast could improve.

@Dougcjohn Thanks for that summary, and especially for sharing your airspacelink guidance & website tip. I’m looking for traction with a non-Airmap LAANC provider…
Yes! I’m a convert to Airhub for Pilots from Airspacelink.com. It works on web, has decent map/streetname/grid contrast, and is straightforward to navigate without resorting to documentation.

This was confusing to me:
Airspace Link says on their web site that there is no mobile app. Yet, there is an iOS app available in the App Store named Airhub.

The *app* Airhub appears to be from a different company that has in-app purchases in Euros (likely an EU company), and provides a front end for… Airmap! Isn’t that a head-scratcher.

Until something better comes along I’ll be using the Airhub web site at airlinkspace.com.

I do wish Aloft had a better-written app. Kittyhawk has always seemed like a great company.

Here is a article that mentions how Airmap tried to control NAS. Making reference on all the backlash they got and the tweets they deleted.

Thanks for the link @Agustine. It helped me understand the Airmap issues.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I realize this is almost a month-old thread but glad I ran across it.

I was unaware that AirMap was doing this. It's a shame since really liked the ease of use this app offered. Needless to say, I deleted the app off my cell and mini 4. Switched over to AirHub for Pilots by Airspacelink.

With today's announcement of DroneUp's acquisition of AirMap, things have changed.

Marcus and crew are no longer there, and AirMap's philosophy of creating pay to play airspace approvals is not part of the new AirMap plans laid out by DroneUp.

With today's announcement of DroneUp's acquisition of AirMap, things have changed.

Marcus and crew are no longer there, and AirMap's philosophy of creating pay to play airspace approvals is not part of the new AirMap plans laid out by DroneUp.
Vic, thanks for the news update! AirMap will be a welcomed app back on the devices. Although I've found AirHub to be quick & useful too.

Any additional news as to the old AirMap crew...did they take their new purse of funds into another venture? Are they still in the sUAV picture somewhere?

Vic, thanks for the news update! AirMap will be a welcomed app back on the devices. Although I've found AirHub to be quick & useful too.
I've always liked the AirMap platform, I just couldn't stand the owners.
Any additional news as to the old AirMap crew...did they take their new purse of funds into another venture? Are they still in the sUAV picture somewhere?
Some went with AirMap to DroneUp, and some ended up at DroneBase. Marcus is not part of the transition team.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada