DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AirMap is back

If I am supposed to used some else the please let me know.

I am only trying to fly legal and safe

Reactions: Droniac
Indianapolis Airport has an additional requirements for flying in any of the Indianapolis air space here in Indiana. A uas operator should fill out the form on their web prior to flying in any of their air. So that way an email get sent to airport authorities that a drone operator is operating in the airspace this is in additional to the lanaac
Not sure who you were getting authorization from after Sept 10th but Airmap was taken off the Faa approved LAANC suppliers list.
Somehow they weaseled their way back on it.

And I have been relieved confirmation via text on my phone. Requested, approved, or denied if I do not file earlier enough prior to my scheduled flight

I had have additional background check done by Amazon to fly over their building at the airport

As I think about it. Each job that I did, each time a new back check was done on me. Different companies by the airport, same air space

Different days. Different times, different companies

I been putting something in the app, also I have been filling out a request online at Indianapolis international Airport. For the airport authorities. I talked to someone there weeks ago because I was a job at the end of the runway for one of Amazon buildings
Unfortunately, if you've been using AirMap since September, they've all been illegal flights. They were not allowed to give LAANC approvals since around September 15th. They just came back online yesterday. Any requests from then until yesterday were not approved. Basically since AirMap cares so little about their customers, they felt is fine to hang you all out to dry.

Last edited:
Indianapolis Airport has an additional requirements for flying in any of the Indianapolis air space here in Indiana. A uas operator should fill out the form on their web prior to flying in any of their air. So that way an email get sent to airport authorities that a drone operator is operating in the airspace this is in additional to the lanaac
Interesting. They literally are NOT allowed to do that as per ATO procedural dictate. If you have a LAANC approval, and/or 107.41 COA, you don't have to call. At least not unless the COA requires it.

For those who want a laugh over ATC over reach... Drone Safety

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
With all due respect, anyone who is active and invested in this industry and still supporting AirCrap (not giving them a google hit here) is crapping in their own kitchen. Why would you support any company who has actively tried to restrict your access to PUBLIC airspace and charging for any access to it? It makes zero sense to me. I'm genuinely asking for anyone who knowingly supports them KNOWING about their slimy business practices how and why you still support them?

I fully understand why someone who doesn't know any better would use it (we all learn as we go) but why would you support a company who is trying to screw you over and openly admitted it more than once AFTER you are aware of their underhanded tactics?

While they may be re-instated (sad to hear that) they aren't listed on the FAA's LAANC website yet.

I use UASSidekick and love it but that's just my personal preference.

Interesting. They literally are NOT allowed to do that as per ATO procedural dictate. If you have a LAANC approval, and/or 107.41 COA, you don't have to call. At least not unless the COA requires it.

For those who want a laugh over ATC over reach... Drone Safety
And they may or may not actually be doing that - hard to tell based on the level of misunderstanding of the most basic stuff on display in this thread. That said, my local airport website still has a form that dates back to the recreational 5-mile requirement, and I've seen county representatives confidently declare that it is still required. I'm pretty sure that no one is paying any attention to it though.

And they may or may not actually be doing that - hard to tell based on the level of misunderstanding of the most basic stuff on display in this thread. That said, my local airport website still has a form that dates back to the recreational 5-mile requirement, and I've seen county representatives confidently declare that it is still required. I'm pretty sure that no one is paying any attention to it though.
Their web page still shows the requirement. But yeah, whether they use it or not is the question. It also mentions the 5 mile notification.

…Why would you support any company who has actively tried to restrict your access to PUBLIC airspace and charging for any access to it? It makes zero sense to me. I'm genuinely asking for anyone who knowingly supports them KNOWING about their slimy business practices how and why you still support them?

I fully understand why someone who doesn't know any better would use it (we all learn as we go)...
I think that I started with Airmap when it was them or Kittyhawk. Airmap had the superior platform. It was an easy choice.

Sadly, in my limited understanding, they still do. Have any of the other providers stepped up with something as easy to use and as straightforward as Airmap?

I hope my use doesn’t read as support. I’ll drop them in a hot minute for a better provider, and advise others to do the same.

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
I think that I started with Airmap when it was them or Kittyhawk. Airmap had the superior platform. It was an easy choice.

Sadly, in my limited understanding, they still do. Have any of the other providers stepped up with something as easy to use and as straightforward as Airmap?

I hope my use doesn’t read as support. I’ll drop them in a hot minute for a better provider, and advise others to do the same.
Best thing to do is get B4UFly, then go to Aloft if you need to get LAANC. Super simply.

There is plenty on the webs about their underhanded dealings. But basically they have lobbied Congress in the past to give states the first 200' of the airspace for them to control. That would then give states a revenue stream where they could charge drone operators to fly and/or launch.

AirMap already has a system in place for that, and started working with the state of Kansas on a state run UTM (Unmanned Traffic Management) system. If Congress gives this power to the states, AirMap is poised to make a ton of money off the backs of drone owners across the country.

I have no problem with companies making money (obviously, since I own a couple), but don't spit on my head and tell me its raining. And that's exactly what AirMap does. On one hand they act like they support the industry, and then on the other they actively attempt to take that industry away from us.

And take a look at how they handled their removal from the LAANC system by the FAA. They didn't even bother to let their customers know. What kind of company shuts off their product and doesn't let their customers know? Also, their co-founders are vehemently anti-drone. One ran a company that would charge people to declare their home or business a no fly zone. It went out of business. Another worked on the ULC's tort reform committee that would have made uniform laws that forbid drones from flying over private property without permission. Many of us in the industry sat in on those meetings and told the truth about how this would kill the industry. It failed too.

AirMap sucks (the company, not the product), and if a drone owner supports the industry, they shouldn't use it.

They're data mining as well. They use the data from logged flights to continue their programs of airspace restrictions. If there are a large amount of flights in a certain area, they can go to that municipality and show them how much revenue they could be collecting if Congress gave them the power to charge for NAS access.

As I said earlier, AirMap is a cancer on this industry and no one should ever file LAANC with them. if they do, they're just feeding the dragon that could destroy their own industry.
I've heard some of these claims, but it's tricky to find clear, reliable sources for them.

Can you or somebody else please show some proof? Thank you.

Best thing to do is get B4UFly, then go to Aloft if you need to get LAANC. Super simply.
Yes, I’ve been using B4UFly since release. But we’re talking about LAANC service providers.

The problem I have with Aloft is the same as Kittyhawk. It’s hard to use. Hard to read street names on a low-contrast color palette, really bad color choices for these LAANC ceiling grid overlays. Hard to find landmarks. Try to add a pre-planned mission on iPad, demands Location Services be on, even though I’m trying to plan a mission for a location several miles away. Gets caught putting dialog boxes up about it repeatedly, won’t accept “Cancel”. Have to terminate the app.

Are people *using* Aloft on mobile devices? Because I can’t make it work! I just gave it one more try, and, as usual, was not successful - couldn’t even get traction. I’ve read a lot of endorsements here - who is using it on mobile devices, using it for preplanning, succeeding with it?

I've heard some of these claims, but it's tricky to find clear, reliable sources for them.

Can you or somebody else please show some proof? Thank you.
I'm pretty sure people would consider me a reliable source. But there is plenty of other evidence on the internet.

Reactions: dirkclod

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1