DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airplane height at 3 km of airport

jonapap

Reactions
If you are reading this and are from Canada, you know how frustrating the drones regulations are, for those how don't know, google it. One of the thing that is the most frustrating is the 9 km rule : You can't fly your drone within 9 km of an airport. I live in a small city with an airport at around 3 km of the city. There is maybe around 2 airplanes that will land there per week, maybe less. I was curious, does someone know at which height an airplane will be at 3 km of an airport when landing? I am aware that it is probably well higher then the 90 m high limit for drones. Also, I am thinking of medium-small airplanes, no big commercial airplanes.

A "standard" glideslope is three degrees. So, about 3,000 feet when 10-miles out and 1,500 feet when 5-miles out. Small aircraft will often use a much steeper glideslope and will be between 500 and 1,000 feet within 2-miles of their touchdown point.

On a normal approach, when 3km from touchdown, an airplane would be at just under 600' above the ground.

So I guess I shouldn't be flying at 3 km of the airport, especially when you hear a plane coming.... Thanks, for the information!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00