DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace confusion

??? Good to know! Lol people have told me that I would have to call the tower. Glad I research things on my own.
I have both Airmap and B4Ufly on my phone now too :)
Ftr, how long does the automated process typically take?

@brett8883,
this screenshot I just took is this the map specifically for drones you meant? Also, as I understand it, the footage denotes areas which must be asked for authorization by BTV airport tower to fly max, say, 400 ft? Outside this, I don't need to ask anyone for auth.
I'm pretty sure contacting the tower not a good idea now. LAANC is the current way to get authorization and it's an online thing. Haven't done it yet, but will try soon. Lots of reading, but worth doing. Each box on the grid has the max altitude in it. Outside the grid you don't need authorization, but you have to confirm that you're flying in Class G. There may be local rules about drone use not related to airspace. State parks here don't allow take-off or landing, but can't prevent flyover of the park, for example.
Slow typing here...

Reactions: Nautidawg
I'm pretty sure contacting the tower not a good idea now. LAANC is the current way to get authorization and it's an online thing. Haven't done it yet, but will try soon. Lots of reading, but worth doing. Each box on the grid has the max altitude in it. Outside the grid you don't need authorization, but you have to confirm that you're flying in Class G. There may be local rules about drone use not related to airspace. State parks here don't allow take-off or landing, but can't prevent flyover of the park, for example.
Slow typing here...

Same here. No take off or use at ski areas, parks, state forests

I just did a dry run with Airmap. It got approved. Was fairly straight forward. And quick. :)
And if you have a designated practice area you can get a 2 year clearance from FAA via the DroneZone site. I have one for over 2 square miles... even though it encroaches on the edges of 2 different airport’s NFZs.
For daily use AirMap is my choice also. I have never had to ask DJI for permission to fly.

No... 400’ see the post above.
I have a question about the map showing the feet which qualifies for approval. At my address there are no numbers at all, like no feet and no colors (example E4 area is pinkish) does that mean there are no restrictions or does it mean there would be no permissions?
I'm thinking no restrictions but would ask anyways.

I have a question about the map showing the feet which qualifies for approval. At my address there are no numbers at all, like no feet and no colors (example E4 area is pinkish) does that mean there are no restrictions or does it mean there would be no permissions?
I'm thinking no restrictions but would ask anyways.
If there are no feet and no colors then it is class G airspace(uncontrolled airspace) at and below 400’ above ground level. It may be controlled airspace above 400’ AGL but since drones are generally not allowed to fly above 400’ AGL it will not show up on the facilities map.

This is the nice thing about the facilities map, it doesn’t show things that aren’t relevant to drones making it much less confusing.

I am not sure if the facilities map shows temporary flight restrictions in real time so that’s why something like AirMap or Kittyhawk are still good resources to consult before flight even if you have previously checked the facilities map and the area you wish to fly in is clear.

If there are no feet and no colors then it is class G airspace(uncontrolled airspace) at and below 400’ above ground level. It may be controlled airspace above 400’ AGL but since drones are generally not allowed to fly above 400’ AGL it will not show up on the facilities map.

This is the nice thing about the facilities map, it doesn’t show things that aren’t relevant to drones making it much less confusing.

I am not sure if the facilities map shows temporary flight restrictions in real time so that’s why something like AirMap or Kittyhawk are still good resources to consult before flight even if you have previously checked the facilities map and the area you wish to fly in is clear.
I do use the other apps. Just one of those questions I didn't think about until looking at the ARCgis.
Thanks ?

Take a look at this short video with 3D animation of the airspaces. This might give you a better perspective on the NAS:

I fly off Burlington coast a lot,I get laanc approval and I'm good to go,if you go out heading west approximately 1 mile you'll be in g space and uncontrolled,so there is lots of area to fly
That's what I thought. According to Lat and Long looks like we're good to go just out beyond Juniper island, as an example.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki