DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ALCATRAZ

Awesome! The mavic was still back ordered the last time I visited San Fran.. how many batteries/flights did this edit take?

Reactions: larkin
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

Please take a look at this website, before every flight.

Getting familiar with all pertinent information is a requirement for any FAA licensed pilots. If it is good for regular pilots, it is also a good regulation for the rest of us.

Do not make the drone community look bad, please.

What you did is illegal. Posting it on the internet for the world to see, is perhaps not the bightest thing you have done....

Thank you.

We all know we can't take off or land from national parks.....but you can takeoff or land outside national parks.

The words "idiot" and "illegal" are completely out of line and uncalled for! Use polite and respectful tactics to get your point across instead of showing your A$$....

So, be careful with this one because as others stated depending on where you took off, you could be flying illegally, and you're also flying over crowds of people. 2 no nos. as for the video, it's nice but should maybe be half the length and the clips should be cut in half too. I also recommend that you cut out any clips that aren't smooth or have clipping or stuttering to make it look professional.

Reactions: frankiez
For the record, Alcatraz is part of the National Park Service. You CAN fly over them, you CANNOT take off or land in them. Have a nice day.

To: .... below is quoted directly from this document.

"
9. Does it matter where an unmanned aircraft is used for the required closures to apply?
Yes. The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS. "

Reactions: HiVac
Good luck trying to explain that to the FAA.

That the NPS think they own the airspace is funny.

It will be up to the government lawyers. In the meantime, it depends if YOU feel lucky or not.

If you are a licensed pilot, it is obvious that flying over TFR, NPS, military, nuclear plants, assembly of people is out.

Again, don't screw it up for the rest of us.

Thanks

Good luck trying to explain that to the FAA.

It will be up to the government lawyers. In the meantime, it depends if YOU feel lucky or not.

If you are a licensed pilot, it is obvious that flying over TFR, NPS, military, nuclear plants, assembly of people is out.

Again, don't screw it up for the rest of us.

Thanks
Explain what to the FAA? Its a clear zone to fly as far as the FAA is concerned. Its the NPS that designated the area a NFZ by taking off or landing from within its lands.
Again read what I quoted, it's only taking off or landing within the NPS that is restricted. Flying over is perfectly fine. I don't have to feel lucky to understand that.

Except for the fact that it's clearly flying over a crowd of people
Define a crowd. Common definition is a large group of people in close proximity. Only crowd on the video is by the embarkation area, and he didn't fly over them.

Actually, they don't think that, have never claimed that and the post right above yours explains this. The NPS actually got it 100% correct in their regulation. Kudo's to them for not overstepping their authority and realizing that they cannot regulate airspace.

To my opinion people who keep nagging and whining make this drone community look bad.
I don't agree with how this was handled but letting someone know their flight was illegal (not the case in this video [edit: not from the NPS claim]) can be helpful. There are a _lot_ of people here that don't know the laws and a lot of people who search and just find the threads from external sources. We all need education. It's _extreemly_ complicated.

Reactions: burnheart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580