DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All about cases...

Former Member

Reactions
After buying, selling and repairing almost 4,000 drones, I've come to see many drone cases come through here. Some I liked, and some I didnt like. Here is what my take is on some of the types and brands of cases that have come through.

Folks, if you like this information, please click "like" at the bottom of this thread. It's really my only compensation for my unbiased contribution here.

HARD CASES:

I like hard cases for all around protection to a drone. Yes, they are bulky and heavy to lug around, but they serve a purpose. Even if the case is dropped, or mishandled by baggage claim at the airport, you drone will usually survive. Some of them are also water resistant and others waterproof. Some of them come with custom made inserts for the Mavic, batteries and controller, others you have to cut yourself. I like premade cases because I dont like to cut foam. Here are some of my favorite hard cases.

• Nanuk 920 - Very strong but lightweight. Available with custom Mavic cutouts, and waterproof in up to 3.3' of water for up to 30 minutes.
  • Drone Hangar Pelican Case - Solid as a rock but doesnt weigh as much as one. Custom cutouts for Mavic Pro. airtight and watertight.
  • Go Professional Cases (GPC) - Holds 6 batteries, controller and more, military spec valve and exterior

SOFT CASES

Soft cases are good if you are keeping it with you and dont want to drag around a hard case. They dont offer "drop" protection, but will keep your drone from getting scratched if you do drop it in the case. Soft cases are generally smaller than hard cases, are not waterproof, and are more fashionable. Here are some of my favorite soft cases:

• PGYTech carrying case - Solid exterior frame but not as hard as a hard case, smaller size, carries almost everything you need, carry strap and handle
  • Smatree Mavic Pro Carrying Case - Larger than the PGYtech but you can stuff more accessories into it. Nice design, fashionable, lightweight
  • DJI carrying bag - Way too small to carry everything that comes with the FM kit. For this kind of money, they should give you a much better and bigger case.

BACKPACKS:

Backpacks are a great middle ground. Perfect for hiking, travel, or riding on your bike, these can be slung over your shoulders, and usually can carry everything you need, plus many of your personal items. This is my weapon of choice for road trips. They can easily stow in an overhead, or under the seatback in front of you on an airplane. They are rugged, lightweight, easy to carry, and less expensive than hard cases. You can drop them from a few feet up and they usually wont damage your drone because they are padded. Most have side pockets for your water bottle, maps, etc.

• Manfrotto Aviator Hover-25 Drone Backpack - This has to be one of my favorite Mavic accessories. Beautiful to look at, strong and tough, roomy (its bigger on the inside, like a Tardis), and light weight. Prices on these are higher, but in this case, you absolutely get what you pay for.
  • Lowepro Droneguard BP200 - Another of my favorite cases. To me, this is the "LL Bean" of backpacks. It will never win a beauty contest, but works really well. Just like my Subaru. It has a cavernous interior, and bigger pockets than a kangaroo. Great quality zippers, tough material. It's a backpack anyone can love, and great price too.
  • Polarpro Dronetrekker Backpack - Lifetime warranty, high quality, waterproof overcoat (unique feature)

Last edited:
My dji hard case for mav Pro 2, fits into my polarpro
backpack for when I need the friendlier carry straps, while keeping full hardcase protection.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
After buying, selling and repairing almost 4,000 drones, I've come to see many drone cases come through here. Some I liked, and some I didnt like. Here is what my take is on some of the types and brands of cases that have come through.

Folks, if you like this information, please click "like" at the bottom of this thread. It's really my only compensation for my unbiased contribution here.

HARD CASES:

I like hard cases for all around protection to a drone. Yes, they are bulky and heavy to lug around, but they serve a purpose. Even if the case is dropped, or mishandled by baggage claim at the airport, you drone will usually survive. Some of them are also water resistant and others waterproof. Some of them come with custom made inserts for the Mavic, batteries and controller, others you have to cut yourself. I like premade cases because I dont like to cut foam. Here are some of my favorite hard cases.

• Nanuk 920 - Very strong but lightweight. Available with custom Mavic cutouts, and waterproof in up to 3.3' of water for up to 30 minutes.
  • Drone Hangar Pelican Case - Solid as a rock but doesnt weigh as much as one. Custom cutouts for Mavic Pro. airtight and watertight.
  • Go Professional Cases (GPC) - Holds 6 batteries, controller and more, military spec valve and exterior

SOFT CASES

Soft cases are good if you are keeping it with you and dont want to drag around a hard case. They dont offer "drop" protection, but will keep your drone from getting scratched if you do drop it in the case. Soft cases are generally smaller than hard cases, are not waterproof, and are more fashionable. Here are some of my favorite soft cases:

• PGYTech carrying case - Solid exterior frame but not as hard as a hard case, smaller size, carries almost everything you need, carry strap and handle
  • Smatree Mavic Pro Carrying Case - Larger than the PGYtech but you can stuff more accessories into it. Nice design, fashionable, lightweight
  • DJI carrying bag - Way too small to carry everything that comes with the FM kit. For this kind of money, they should give you a much better and bigger case.

BACKPACKS:

Backpacks are a great middle ground. Perfect for hiking, travel, or riding on your bike, these can be slung over your shoulders, and usually can carry everything you need, plus many of your personal items. This is my weapon of choice for road trips. They can easily stow in an overhead, or under the seatback in front of you on an airplane. They are rugged, lightweight, easy to carry, and less expensive than hard cases. You can drop them from a few feet up and they usually wont damage your drone because they are padded. Most have side pockets for your water bottle, maps, etc.

• Manfrotto Aviator Hover-25 Drone Backpack - This has to be one of my favorite Mavic accessories. Beautiful to look at, strong and tough, roomy (its bigger on the inside, like a Tardis), and light weight. Prices on these are higher, but in this case, you absolutely get what you pay for.
  • Lowepro Droneguard BP200 - Another of my favorite cases. To me, this is the "LL Bean" of backpacks. It will never win a beauty contest, but works really well. Just like my Subaru. It has a cavernous interior, and bigger pockets than a kangaroo. Great quality zippers, tough material. It's a backpack anyone can love, and great price too.
  • Polarpro Dronetrekker Backpack - Lifetime warranty, high quality, waterproof overcoat (unique feature)

I have a Nanuk 920 for my Mavic Pro Platinum.
0896a8b4b6345b83f4e896d0015dcd4b.jpg
fc184120f59b327d2ab3a19afd2081d9.jpg

Reactions: Former Member
I have a hard case by GPC. The GPC-DJI-MAVIC-1
It holds 5 batteries (1 in the drone), extra props, controller, Firehouse ARC2 x 4, rapid charging hub or car charger, extra props, landing gear, and all charging cords. I use a separate smaller case for my CS and accessories.
099D0789-C886-4F08-BB98-9439C8323599.jpeg

HARD CASES:

SOFT CASES

BACKPACKS:

Rob, have you seen cases that have room for the Smart Controller?

I’ve still yet to pull the trigger on a case/backpack as I know eventually I’ll need a soft case and hard case to suite my travel needs it’s just what do I need first

I am thinking soft carry cases since I have preference to my personal backpacks I use for travel and they can get stuffed in there. On the other hand a pelican case seems perfect for more rugged travel yet less easy for travel and storage

I’ve still yet to pull the trigger on a case/backpack as I know eventually I’ll need a soft case and hard case to suite my travel needs it’s just what do I need first

I am thinking soft carry cases since I have preference to my personal backpacks I use for travel and they can get stuffed in there. On the other hand a pelican case seems perfect for more rugged travel yet less easy for travel and storage

A backpack might serve all of your purposes.

svickstc said:

A backpack might serve all of your purposes.

Consider that you may need both eventually. I still need to get a backpack for some areas I want to fly in, but on an airplane consider how people just randomly throw and stuff things into the overhead compartments unless you plan to put it under the seat in front of you.

I have purchased a new "Go Professional Case" hard case for the m2p but it's not what I really wanted. I just felt like I needed something to protect the drone while being hauled around in the back floor of the truck. I would really be interested in a GOOD hard case that would securely transport the m2p w/5spare batteries, RE goggles and charger w/cables, remote control, mav mount with bracket for ipad, 9.7" ipad w/charger and cables, DJI "AC" charger and cables, charging hub, 8 spare props, MarcoPolo tracker w/Display, charger for marcopolo w/cables and all other associated cables and all the cleaning supplies that come with the fly more kit. I would really be preferable if the case was designed to hold the RE goggles in the lower tray/portion of the case as they are used less and no need to have to drag them out each and every time I fly.

If any of you guys know of such a case please enlighten me. I spent several hours researching cases before I bought the GPC and could not find a case that was designed to hold everything. There were/are some that will hold the drone and the goggles but they don't hold everything else. Yes I realize there is no law against carrying more than one case but that is not conducive to my needs.

Thanks,

I prefer the FM bag from DJI.

It fits everything I need...three batteries (one in the MP, two in the side pockets), the single cable for RC to monitor, ND filters, lens cleaning cloth, and the ipad mini 4.

The odd part is the ipad mini 4 in the front pocket. Obviously, the pocket won't close, but the zippers go up far enough to prevent it from falling out.

For me it's what portability is all about simple up and out.

For air travel, I bring it on board and slide it under the seat in front of me. Takes up little room, and I can care for it myself without worrying about the baggage handlers, or fighting for space of the overhead compartments. I always know where it's at.

It also has three ways to carry the MP. There is the belt loop, the over the shoulder strap, and the handle on the top.

To me, the DJI FM bag was well designed and thought out, which was a huge selling point.

If I ever lost it, or damaged it, I would replace with like kind.

I prefer the FM bag from DJI.

It fits everything I need...three batteries (one in the MP, two in the side pockets), the single cable for RC to monitor, ND filters, lens cleaning cloth, and the ipad mini 4.

The odd part is the ipad mini 4 in the front pocket. Obviously, the pocket won't close, but the zippers go up far enough to prevent it from falling out.

For me it's what portability is all about simple up and out.

For air travel, I bring it on board and slide it under the seat in front of me. Takes up little room, and I can care for it myself without worrying about the baggage handlers, or fighting for space of the overhead compartments. I always know where it's at.

It also has three ways to carry the MP. There is the belt loop, the strap, and the handle on the top.

To me, the DJI FM bag was well designed and thought out, which was a huge selling point.

If I ever lost it, or damaged it, I would replace with like kind.

Glad you are able to use it. I see many FM bags up here in the classifieds from people who buy the FM, but find the bag too small.

My main problem with the FM bag is that the Mavic does not fit very well with props on. It will also allow the controllers sticks to be broken, when you try to squash the Mavic in. I have seen very few people who can arrange the bag so that all the Mavic accessories fit in. When they open the bag, it's like a jack-in-the-box popping out lol

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Glad you are able to use it. I see many FM bags up here in the classifieds from people who buy the FM, but find the bag too small.

My main problem with the FM bag is that the Mavic does not fit very well with props on. It will also allow the controllers sticks to be broken, when you try to squash the Mavic in. I have seen very few people who can arrange the bag so that all the Mavic accessories fit in. When they open the bag, it's like a jack-in-the-box popping out lol
At first, fitting the MP in with the props was tricky, but in short order it became no problem. You do have to be careful, but not excessively. The bag has a break in period where in the material stretches/relaxes.
For the RC, I use one of those cheap stick protectors, and when inserting into the bag, the sticks are oriented diagonally to the front/back ...slides in easy peasey.
The only issue I have with the bag is that sometimes when I stand it up, it falls over... no biggee.

At first, fitting the MP in with the props was tricky, but in short order it became no problem. You do have to be careful, but not excessively. The bag has a break in period where in the material stretches/relaxes.
For the RC, I use one of those cheap stick protectors, and when inserting into the bag, the sticks are oriented diagonally to the front/back ...slides in easy peasey.
The only issue I have with the bag is that sometimes when I stand it up, it falls over... no biggee.

How do you like the zippers on it? I find them to be a little hard to get open.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive