DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL THE GRAPPLE SWATS YOU AND THE FRONT LOADER FLATENS YOU

The cost for State Farm Personal Articles coverage varies by state (was $45/yr for my MA2 in Pennsylvania). Also they don't offer it in every state.

Sorry for your loss. I think had you filmed from the other direction (street) you would have been safe. We all learn as we go. I have had my share of crashes too. And believe me on this; the only way to avoid a crash is NOT to fly lol
Anyone that flies long enough will eventually have a crash. So, hang in there and get back in the saddle and keep riding.

I find it hard to estimate distance (to an obstacle) directly in line behind the done even when I'm watching it, not the display. The further away it is the harder it gets, for me. Either side is easier, both on screen and when eyeballing it.

Re. the video, I would have been up and out of there the first time that grapple swung past, yikes...
I agree. I find it much safer, even within VLOS, to keep my eyes on the screen. The only time I got in trouble was when watching my drone and it was only 200’ away. However, I’ve never had a giant mechanical boom chase me either. ?

Big time bummer. It looks like the parts aren't even salvageable. $60 a year thru State Farm insurance policy, they'd replace it, even fly always or unrecoverable drones. I think it's better than the DJI Refresh policy. Good luck.
Sorry about your drone. I agree, State Farm is the only way to go and it’s only $45 here in western PA. You can’t be a professional though, only a hobbiest.

I am now in my second year of a State Farm PAP policy on my drone. The first year, the premium was $30, a good deal. The second year, they increased the premium to $75! This, the agent said, was State Farm's minimum for a PAP policy. So, why I am hearing some of you out there saying your coverage is costing you considerably less? I have a Mavic 2 Pro at the present time. The first year, I had a Mavic Pro. The answer is either the replacement value varies depending on the drone covered, or there is ambiguity in how agents are handling their policies, or different states have different insurance requirements affecting premiums. I am a recreational pilot only. Comment?

The first year, the premium was $30, a good deal. The second year, they increased the premium to $75! This, the agent said, was State Farm's minimum for a PAP policy. So, why I am hearing some of you out there saying your coverage is costing you considerably less?
The rates definitely vary by state (and it's unavailable in some states). As Dbez1 said, it's $45 here in western PA, but that's the lowest I've seen. $60+ is more typical.

There was plenty of distance between the mavic and the grapple. The problem was while he was holding the piece of chassis he was swinging it nice and easy. On the return Swing swing he swung it much faster and momentum carried it out another 15 feet.
Were you watching the RC screen or the AC? If the AC then if it had been me, I would have noticed the boom returning and the scrap swinging further out....push up throttle super fast to gain altitude.

I do not feel comfortable piloting my AC by looking at the screen.....things may be going on that aren't evident on the small screen.

Reactions: rehkram
Were you watching the RC screen or the AC? If the AC then if it had been me, I would have noticed the boom returning and the scrap swinging further out....push up throttle super fast to gain altitude.

I do not feel comfortable piloting my AC by looking at the screen.....things may be going on that aren't evident on the small screen.
My experience has been the exact opposite. If you’re flying forward, how many obstacles hit you from the rear? This unfortunate fellow is an exception though. Flying backwards is an entirely different story though but to each his own.

Reactions: rehkram
You can't predict everything new that might happen unless you're really 'on it' on that particular day. The grapple missed on the first pass from the front.

Coming back, lighter from dropping its load, physics dictated it would swing out wider. Would I have seen that coming? I doubt it.

The drone was in hover and the camera was still facing forward when the grapple hit. Monday morning quarterbacking says yawing the drone to follow the danger of the grapple would have sounded major internal alarm bells, triggering a full on climb out of there.

I think it's a very educational video actually! :)

I was watching the screen. Creating the shot flying out of one yard and into the other to show all the material we have. Didn't go as planned.

I bought that MP used to replace a used Phantom 3 which I also sold. I crashed and fixed both. The MP had magnetic interference and veered into a Flatbed and broke and arm which I replaced myself. It did not owe me anything. Countless missions and amazing shots all over the 50 states. It's sad but I always knew the day would come. My boss was generous enough to replace it. I was after all shooting for him. I got a MA2 w/ SC. So far I'm happy with it.

Reactions: Pietros
Does anyone from Texas have State Farm insurance on their drone? I inquired about this a year ago for my M2P and never got a call back, so assumed the answer was 'no', but since then my agent retired, so may try again with the new office.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor