DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Crash

CashCache

Reactions
I live in Anthem Arizona and nothing but desert and golf courses exist beyond my backyard, so it has been really fun flying my Mavic every chance I get. My house is pretty high on the hill, so when looking south from my backyard, I can see for 30+ miles. About two weeks ago, my son and I decided to fly straight out and circle one of the golf courses that’s about 1 mile from my house. Fully charged battery in both the controller and the Mavic and off we went. Camera on from liftoff.

We took it up to 390 feet right after liftoff. After flying south for about 6 minutes, we were over a popular road and decide to turn West and follow it for a few minutes. I switched on Sport Mode and flew for about 100 yards parallel to the road. We were about 5000 feet from home. My son and I could both still see the Mavic against the blue sky – although just barely, so we decided to turn it back north and get closer to home. During the entire flight, we saw no interference and signal strength -both video and controller – was great.

This is where things went wrong. Right after turning north and flying for about 30 seconds, the controller said “Connection Lost” or something similar. In an effort to get reception back, I stood up on my fire pit and raised the controller. My son got on top of the Ramada roof and took the remote from me to get even higher. During all the running around, the controller kept beeping and trying to reconnect to the Mavic. It never did. We also could no longer see it in the distance.

It was at this point that we figured the Return-To-Home would kick in and we’d be reunited with our little buddy momentarily. Nope. We waited about 15 to 20 minutes before we decided to get in the car and start looking.

My phone still shows the exact location it last reported, so this is where we figured we would start. Hiking boots on, water bottles in hand, flashlights just in case, and off we went. We spent almost 3 hours looking for it (good thing we brought the flashlights), but never found it. I kept running through the entire flight in my head. We had over 85% battery life, full signal, no wind, clear skies, home point accurately recorded, plenty of altitude, no reason for my Mavic to disappear – yet, disappear it did.

It got late and we decided to call it a night. My family and I took several missions over the next few days trying to find it. Right about the time I decided to give up, my wife, son and daughter decided to take one more trip out to look for it while I was at the office. Guess what, my daughter found it! It was upside down in the dirt. The props were all but chewed away from rocks. The battery was ejected and laying on the ground about 6 feet away from the Mavic. They took a few celebratory pics, sent them to me, and carefully brought the patient home to wait for me. The first thing I noticed when I got home was that the battery still had about 80% charge. The props were a total loss. The gimble was hanging out of the front and one of the rear arms was slightly pulled out of the body.

What I really wanted to find out is what happened. I took out the micro SD card and immediately played back the video. I was expecting to see a horrific crash with a UFO, bird, golf ball, or some other object. I was shocked when the video showed everything my controller did and quit at the EXACT same time I lost the connection. I learned how to pull the flight records and upload to HealthyDone.com in the hopes there would be something there that I could point to and say, Ahh Haaa!, that’s what caused this. But everything was completely normal up until it disappeared.

I was able to repair the done on my own. I fixed the rear arm by opening the case and pushing it back in (it’s a 1.5 Allen wrench if you ever need it). The gimble was pretty easy to fix as well since it was just knocked out of the plastic bracket at the bottom. I had extra props, so that was an easy fix too. All and all it took me an hour and cost me $0.50 because I did not have a wrench that small (Ace Hardware).

I’m flying and having fun again, but I still have no idea what happened. Every new flight I take, I think about this and wonder if this is the last flight I will have with my Mavic. The return to home feature failed to engage. Since the onboard video quite at the exact same time as I lost signal, I’m thinking that it must have completely lost power – however, the battery still had 80% charge, so does this mean it possibly popped out in midflight? I’ll probably never know, but I did want to pass my story along to other pilots just in case it helps someone else.

Happy Flying!

If you ever get a better handle on what happend please update. and thanks for such a extensive posting. In my experience Mysteries happen but not usually to mechanical objects. there is usally an answer even if it takes a long time to show itself.

Reactions: Hexagon
How far was it from your last known location on the flight log? It would be interesting to compare. You can also extract the .DAT file on the Mavic with DJI Assistant and perhaps glean more information.

Thanks for the story and glad you got it back. I did notice mine the other day, just doing a final check before lift off my battery was sitting about 1mm higher on one side only, very hard to spot if I didn't look all around it! gave it an extra push and click she's in . So this could be what happened to you?

Reactions: Rbruz and CashCache
I was 4703 feet from home when it went dark. If it was a hawk, I'd have a much better story, but unfortunately I don't think so since video was stable and perfect in every way before it went black. Since the video went out at the exact same time as I lost connectivity, I'm still thinking this is somehow power related.

Thanks for the story and glad you got it back. I did notice mine the other day, just doing a final check before lift off my battery was sitting about 1mm higher on one side only, very hard to spot if I didn't look all around it! gave it an extra push and click she's in . So this could be what happened to you?

Yes, this is very possible. It's the only scenario I can come up with that would cause the connection to drop at the same time the on board video quit. By the way, my battery was found about 6 feet away from the Mavic, so maybe it popped out just enough to lose connection but stay in place until impact. Odd indeed.

Reactions: Bintryin
I live in Anthem Arizona and nothing but desert and golf courses exist beyond my backyard, so it has been really fun flying my Mavic every chance I get. My house is pretty high on the hill, so when looking south from my backyard, I can see for 30+ miles. About two weeks ago, my son and I decided to fly straight out and circle one of the golf courses that’s about 1 mile from my house. Fully charged battery in both the controller and the Mavic and off we went. Camera on from liftoff.

We took it up to 390 feet right after liftoff. After flying south for about 6 minutes, we were over a popular road and decide to turn West and follow it for a few minutes. I switched on Sport Mode and flew for about 100 yards parallel to the road. We were about 5000 feet from home. My son and I could both still see the Mavic against the blue sky – although just barely, so we decided to turn it back north and get closer to home. During the entire flight, we saw no interference and signal strength -both video and controller – was great.

This is where things went wrong. Right after turning north and flying for about 30 seconds, the controller said “Connection Lost” or something similar. In an effort to get reception back, I stood up on my fire pit and raised the controller. My son got on top of the Ramada roof and took the remote from me to get even higher. During all the running around, the controller kept beeping and trying to reconnect to the Mavic. It never did. We also could no longer see it in the distance.

It was at this point that we figured the Return-To-Home would kick in and we’d be reunited with our little buddy momentarily. Nope. We waited about 15 to 20 minutes before we decided to get in the car and start looking.

My phone still shows the exact location it last reported, so this is where we figured we would start. Hiking boots on, water bottles in hand, flashlights just in case, and off we went. We spent almost 3 hours looking for it (good thing we brought the flashlights), but never found it. I kept running through the entire flight in my head. We had over 85% battery life, full signal, no wind, clear skies, home point accurately recorded, plenty of altitude, no reason for my Mavic to disappear – yet, disappear it did.

It got late and we decided to call it a night. My family and I took several missions over the next few days trying to find it. Right about the time I decided to give up, my wife, son and daughter decided to take one more trip out to look for it while I was at the office. Guess what, my daughter found it! It was upside down in the dirt. The props were all but chewed away from rocks. The battery was ejected and laying on the ground about 6 feet away from the Mavic. They took a few celebratory pics, sent them to me, and carefully brought the patient home to wait for me. The first thing I noticed when I got home was that the battery still had about 80% charge. The props were a total loss. The gimble was hanging out of the front and one of the rear arms was slightly pulled out of the body.

What I really wanted to find out is what happened. I took out the micro SD card and immediately played back the video. I was expecting to see a horrific crash with a UFO, bird, golf ball, or some other object. I was shocked when the video showed everything my controller did and quit at the EXACT same time I lost the connection. I learned how to pull the flight records and upload to HealthyDone.com in the hopes there would be something there that I could point to and say, Ahh Haaa!, that’s what caused this. But everything was completely normal up until it disappeared.

I was able to repair the done on my own. I fixed the rear arm by opening the case and pushing it back in (it’s a 1.5 Allen wrench if you ever need it). The gimble was pretty easy to fix as well since it was just knocked out of the plastic bracket at the bottom. I had extra props, so that was an easy fix too. All and all it took me an hour and cost me $0.50 because I did not have a wrench that small (Ace Hardware).

I’m flying and having fun again, but I still have no idea what happened. Every new flight I take, I think about this and wonder if this is the last flight I will have with my Mavic. The return to home feature failed to engage. Since the onboard video quite at the exact same time as I lost signal, I’m thinking that it must have completely lost power – however, the battery still had 80% charge, so does this mean it possibly popped out in midflight? I’ll probably never know, but I did want to pass my story along to other pilots just in case it helps someone else.

Happy Flying!
I'm guessing Sport Mode probably has something to do with it. Can't be coincidental that after switching to it a few seconds later your Mavic loses connection.

Have you messed with Sport Mode again since you recovered the drone?

I'm guessing Sport Mode probably has something to do with it. Can't be coincidental that after switching to it a few seconds later your Mavic loses connection.

Have you messed with Sport Mode again since you recovered the drone?

I have tested sport mode since getting back in the air and everything seems to work just fine. I have also tested the "return to home" button just to be sure the little guy still knows how to get back to his home point. Although, I have not tried turning off the controller to see if it will return - I have to muster up a bit more courage before I do that.

Can you post a link to the .TXT and/or .DAT files please. My forensic-sense is twitching.

Battery pop out is a remote possibility. I find the latch down nicely designed, but it is possible that the electrical contact is made w/o the latches being (both) completely engaged.

wow, that was frightening, instant disconnection and awaiting for the bird to return, anxiety... glad you found it. As long as I remember there were a few scenarios where battery pop out was to blame. If it was an eagle you would still have image and telemetry for a few seconds and you would see the flight abnormality caused by offensive dragging. Maybe a bat pop out at the end of the day. Hopping for an outcome!

Can you post a link to the .TXT and/or .DAT files please. My forensic-sense is twitching.

Battery pop out is a remote possibility. I find the latch down nicely designed, but it is possible that the electrical contact is made w/o the latches being (both) completely engaged.

I've attached the flight log here.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-06_[18-26-33].txt
    486.3 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: CornerGuy
Great story! It's given us one more thing to check before flight. I'm going with the loose battery theory.

Happy Flying!
What happened.... Well where can we start.. The further away from the you the Mavic flies, the narrower the frequency field becomes between the controller and the craft. Its called band splitting. Think of it as a rubber band being stretched. The more u pull the thinner it gets. The further away you are the higher ther chance of having something disrupt comms with the drone. Anything that comes in between u and the drone can cause the issue. The further away you are the higher the chance of a frequency clash with a radio tower... TV tower. If you happened to fly ib line of a high frequency transmission that oscilates in 2 to 4 ghz range you could have lost it. My first question to you would be, when last did you do a flight system check on your settings in your app. Look at your action settings on controller disconnect ? RTH settings etc ? Then there are anomalies like birds, if had everything from crows to vultures and sparrows go for my drone. Ive also seen craft been taken our by the critters. Then you have the golf club deciding they dont want you flying over their property and raking you out. Here in South Africa most golf courses the management have frequency guns and they shoot the drone out of the sky. So what happened .... ? Difficult to tell because at 5000 ft you have long lost sight and visual orientation of the drone. Hence the golden rule. Fly within line of sight

Reactions: Mr.H and Rbruz
I know it's prob not related to this, but what firmware were you running? Also what was the temperature in Arizona?

I've never been to Arizona but does it have gusty sand storms at all? Just a thought.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan