DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost it. Weird warnings.and screen recording of incident.

Question: An Aircraft Status Indicator that is flashing green at the end of each of the two movements is NOT evidence that the calibration is "good" and was done in a "good location"?

No. A calibration error comes up if what the aircraft measured makes no absolutely sense / is really incoherent and off limits, but you can be within those limits yet under influence of a bad magnetic environment. The thing can't guess if a measure that's a bit off is coming from its own sensors (what must be calibrated for) or from the environment. There would be no need to calibrate otherwise...

I think I found my problem. I just put my controller down on the floor of my truck. I noticed right away it gave me a warning saying magnetic interference and when I picked it up it went right away. I forgot there was a magnetic tray on the floor of my truck that I had some nuts and Bolts in. I bet that is what caused the errors to my Mavic because the Mavic was on the floor yesterday for a minute. Is there anyway to fix a compass problem that was caused by a magnet? I was looking at this thing online and I don’t know if it’s legit.

CFixer is the Compass Error Fixer

No. A calibration error comes up if what the aircraft measured makes no absolutely sense / is really incoherent and off limits, but you can be within those limits yet under influence of a bad magnetic environment. The thing can't guess if a measure that's a bit off is coming from its own sensors (what must be calibrated for) or from the environment. There would be no need to calibrate otherwise...

Got it. Thank you.

Very similar thing happened to me. Was flying on a low overcast day. It wasn't flying so well so I decided to hit the RTH button. It climbed into the overcast. (finding the RTH altitude, normal) It then flew un-commnded sideways about 700 feet away above a forest and decended into the frozen tree tops, missing them by inches at about 65 feet!!! RTH point was confirmed at departure. I couldn't cancel RTH or pause it or anything! Once it stopped, I was able to carefully fly it home in full GPS mode. Watch the video if you are brave. It is super scary!! I have over 400 flights in this exact same area around my home. Healthy Drone showed it going from GPS to ATTI momentarily and at the same time there was a brief compass error. I never did see a error message on my screen. That only showed up on the Healthy Drone playback and it was very brief. Just a flash really. I'm running old firmware that has never had an issue. I recalibrated the compass and flew it again briefly the next day without a problem but I've lost confidence in this thing. I was running video at the time. Check it out.....Mavic Terror!.mp4

Last edited:
Very similar thing happened to me. Was flying on a low overcast day. It wasn't flying well all the sudden and climbed into the overcast. I hit RTH very close to me and it flew un-commnded sideways about 700 feet away above a forest and decended into the tree tops, missing them by inches at about 65 feet. Once it stopped, I was able to carefully fly it home in full GPS mode. I have over 400 flights in this exact same area around my home. Healthy drone showed it going from GPS to ATTI momentarily and at the same time there was a brief compass error. I'm running old firmware that has never had an issue. I recalibrated the compass and flew it again briefly the next day but I've lost confidence in this thing. I was running video at the time. Check it out.....Mavic Terror!.mp4

You think the overcast you flew through caused some problems?

I have flown in light precip and fog quite a few times before without any problems however.

No, his issue was hitting RTH...

RTH needs everything to be working perfectly, so when it is "not flying well" it's the last thing you want to do. You fly it home manually...
RTH is a fallback for pilot confusion and link loss, NOT for aircraft confusion...

That is the single most-important post that I have read on this site to date, including the one about reversing the iPad in the RC clamps to prevent its magnets from interfering with the joysticks!

I've copied and pasted it into my Important folder.

Thanks!

Question: An Aircraft Status Indicator that is flashing green at the end of each of the two movements is NOT evidence that the calibration is "good" and was done in a "good location"?

Hi, I didn't get the Email about Reversing the iPad as I am a new MP pilot but try to read as much as I can.
I did use an iPhone 6s+ but I just bought an iPad AIR2 which is great but, err, what should I be doing now?

I did use an iPhone 6s+ but I just bought an iPad AIR2 which is great but, err, what should I be doing now?
The magnets are on the left side of the iPad, so you'll want to position the iPad so the Lightning port is on the right side of the remote controller.

The magnets are on the left side of the iPad, so you'll want to position the iPad so the Lightning port is on the right side of the remote controller.

After reading about the magnet issue, I replayed Rick's video.

Yep! He places his iPad with the Home button and Lightning port to the right side of the controller.

Interestingly, I also noted that the inscription on my right-angled Skytreat USB to Lightning 10-inch cable is readable only when the iPad is placed to the right.

Have I noticed that the joy sticks seem more responsive and precise since making the switch from left to right?

Yes.

Aha, luckily I had it that way, thanks a lot.

I used to believe that Compass Calibration before every day's "Flight Session" was a good practice and DJI have supported it in articles stating that non-calibration was a major cause of fly-aways. but now in light of the post in this Thread I am forced to re-think the strategy having heard explained how it can work, and i almost understand.
There are some clever people here, Thanks again.

OH, BTW, my M8 has an iPad mini for his SPARK, does the same advice apply?
And can I get a Link to the video pls?

There are two magnets on the left side and one on the right side.
True. However, the magnets only run along the left edge of the tablet.

View attachment 32698 Today I was flying at a very large field. I had noticed earlier at the other places I flew I randomly got warning saying the GPS was lost switching to Atti mode. And compass warnings. I did and IMU, RC, and compass calibration. Everything appeared to be fine after calibration everything was in the green excellent readings. When I went to that field it flew around fine got a couple warnings again but it didn’t interfere. Then all of a sudden I got the warning again along with a couple others. And all of a sudden I lost both of my sticks. I had absolutely no control of the drone and it started to slowly drift away. I started running after it and eventually I regain control. There was some wind but that was not the case I could not control the drone in any way at all. I still had full signal and I could see everything fine through the camera screen the whole time I had no control over the drone. I had 18 and 19 satellites locked during this. I’m terrified now to lose this thing. I don’t know if there’s a problem with the compass or something. Even if I lost GPS I should still be able to have some control over the drone at even if it’s in wind I should be able to at least turn the stick to the left or right in spin it. But the sticks did nothing at all. like they weren’t even connected to the mavic . I grabbed a screenshot of the warnings as it was floating away.

Dude... 132 emails? C'mon, man. Check yer email already, will ya?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman