DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I going deaf?

ExEvo

Reactions
I usually fly from my driveway next to a quiet country lane and after powering everything up I often walk back the 7 yards or so to where my M3P is sitting because I can't hear the motor/props. Is the M2P really this ridiculously quiet or am I going deaf?

My keen co-pilot, a highly strung cat (pictured below), also seems unable to hear this drone from about 5 yards away. Do I need to take her to the vet?

Pixie at the controls.png

Get your hearing checked. I don't now if they can prevent further deterioration but at least you'd know.
I have gone deaf and it aint fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
I usually fly from my driveway next to a quiet country lane and after powering everything up I often walk back the 7 yards or so to where my M3P is sitting because I can't hear the motor/props. Is the M2P really this ridiculously quiet or am I going deaf?

My keen co-pilot, a highly strung cat (pictured below), also seems unable to hear this drone from about 5 yards away. Do I need to take her to the vet?

View attachment 160976
,PARDON?

Check List to confirm if your losing your hearing:
1. Are you over 70? [CHECK]
2. Do you hang around with a cat? [CHECK]
3. Do you go on forums and ask if your losing your hearing? [CHECK]
4. Do you have problems understanding women, and children talking to you? [CHECK]
5. Do you have problems just understanding your Wife talking to you? [CHECK]

If you answered Yes on 3 or more of the above questions you may be losing your hearing.

But Seriously, as I suffer from #4 (and a lot on #5) I had my hearing checked and found out a higher pitch in noise (women and children) was leading to a high-frequency hearing loss and as such I started using hearing aids. The reason it is harder to hear female voices or kid's voices is their voices fall into a higher frequency range - generally 165 to 255 Hertz.

Now back to your question regarding the drone's noise from the propeller is its in this frequency range that may be the reason you can't hear like you may have 5-10 years ago.

I'm no doctor (though I once played one in a school play) but if your serious in relation to your question, I would get it checked.

Last edited:
Check List to confirm if your losing your hearing:
1. Are you over 70? [CHECK]
2. Do you hang around with a cat? [CHECK]
3. Do you go on forums and ask if your losing your hearing? [CHECK]
4. Do you have problems understanding women, and children talking to you? [CHECK]
5. Do you have problems just understanding your Wife talking to you? [CHECK]

If you answered Yes on 3 or more of the above questions you may be losing your hearing.

But Seriously, as I suffer from #4 (and a lot on #5) I had my hearing checked and found out a higher pitch in noise (women and children) was leading to a high-frequency hearing loss and as such I started using hearing aids. The reason it is harder to hear female voices or kid's voices is their voices fall into a higher frequency range - generally 165 to 255 Hertz.

Now back to your question regarding the drone's noise from the propeller is its in this frequency range that may be the reason you can't hear like you may have 5-10 years ago.

I'm no doctor (though I once played one in a school play) but if your serious in relation to your question, I would get it checked.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure my hearing is fine - and so is the cat's. I am amazed by the quietness of this drone, that's all.

A local farmer asked me to take care not to spook his livestock when I fly over his field (as we all would of course) but I was able to demonstrate that the livestock wouldn't even hear it at my preferred 150ft altitude, or even lower.

I had my neighbour round and asked him if the noise of my drone ever bothered him. He replied that he didn't think he had ever heard it. I asked him to look up and the drone was hovering 80ft above his head. "And I still haven't", he said.

Reactions: Eagle928
Ok on a serious note. (cause I've been trying to get a gist of the "real world" noise ... or lack thereof of the Mini 3 Pro) Assuming that your hearing is fine or "average" ... at what height do YOU cease to hear it? Since you live somewhere relatively quiet, would you say based on your neighbor's comment it would be around 80 feet? Thanks!

Ok on a serious note. (cause I've been trying to get a gist of the "real world" noise ... or lack thereof of the Mini 3 Pro) Assuming that your hearing is fine or "average" ... at what height do YOU cease to hear it? Since you live somewhere relatively quiet, would you say based on your neighbor's comment it would be around 80 feet? Thanks!
Weather permitting, I'll give you a definitive answer tomorrow.

My hearing is good and this morning I could very faintly hear the drone flying above me up to 120ft in a 6mph wind but that was the audibility limit. I was flying slowly at around 15mph in N mode and it is obviously louder the faster it flies.

I reckon that anyone not specifically listening for a drone would struggle to hear it any higher than 80ft at slow speeds.

My hearing is good and this morning I could very faintly hear the drone flying above me up to 120ft in a 6mph wind but that was the audibility limit. I was flying slowly at around 15mph in N mode and it is obviously louder the faster it flies.

I reckon that anyone not specifically listening for a drone would struggle to hear it any higher than 80ft at slow speeds.
Drone noise is one of those things that once you hear it and know what it is, you'll always know what it is when you hear it again.

The Mini 3 is quiet though and that's one big reason I bought one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oquima