DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I in the wrong?

"I will give you until Monday".

What a jerk, the FAA will not give one da. . . . care, not their authority.
Now IF the place does have some sort of no fly rule being something to do with military 'secrets' etc, that would be a fed thing.

My guess is same as yours, 'nothing (at ALL) to see here'.
That's the funniest part, to me. You can see these craft from the adjacent bridge. They are on the company website. They're not even operating commissioned vessels. If there WERE some sort of issue, then given the amount of other NFZ's within about 6-10 miles, someone really dropped the ball on not adding this place to the list.

And apparently he couldn't wait until Monday to report me, he already has, SUPPOSEDLY.

Last edited:
One of them the CVN-65? It's in mothballs. Last I heard the reactor was beyond repair and the catapults wonky. In other words, destined for scrap like it's namesake.

Reactions: DRONO
One of them the CVN-65? It's in mothballs. Last I heard the reactor was beyond repair and the catapults wonky. In other words, destined for scrap like it's namesake.
You're 110% correct. I wonder what super cereal super state secrets I'm revealing to the enemy by having a picture of what is on their website, lol.

1646051945317.png

Have the moderators of that group been advised of the threat on something that isn't a thing? Most groups won't put up with this behavior. If he does it with you, who else is he doing it to?

This situation is not about right and wrong, its about the consequences of being in this position. Reporting you will put you on the Radar, possibly with the FAA or any other agency who they report to. Its not worth it, This is just a guy trying to protect are country anyway he can, so just apologize , thank him for making you aware and delete it for him .

Its taking the higher rd and the greater good is for you to stay out of the spot light.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
While that advice is likely to soothe this federal bully nut job, it will only encourage every other like minded, misinformed nut job to interfere with my lawful activity. No thanks - this ain’t Moscow.

Have the moderators of that group been advised of the threat on something that isn't a thing? Most groups won't put up with this behavior. If he does it with you, who else is he doing it to?
I have not reached out to them directly. I didn't want them to blackhole the thread, but you're right and I should message them. Thanks for the input.

Long story short, some guy on in a FB page has bumped a 6 week old thread to say he's reporting me to the FAA for having pictures of a shipyard in my flickr photo-stream.

Area in question:
View attachment 144573

Straight off the FAA Site:

View attachment 144575

I've posted this information to said group and yet he persists. Please tell me I'm not taking cray pills in believing this is 100% fine. If I"m wrong, I'm wrong and have no beef admitting such.

Mind you, these are ships in a shipyard that are under construction, featured in local news and all well known builds in the are. . . it's a naval and shipbuilding town. There are NO ACTIVE military vessels shown, simply the shipyard and 2 hulls of a public project. These are non active, non commissioned vessels.

View attachment 144574

He has not shot my any links as he said he was going to.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I can link to pics if interested, they're nothing close up, nothing more than industrial looking areas on a beautiful day.

Best thing to do in these types of situations is to ignore the bully. He doesn't care that he is in the wrong and in fact he probably knows it. Do you really care if he reports you (OP)? No, of course you don't because you've done nothing wrong. All he wants is attention. Ignoring him will drive him nuts more than anything else. And my guess....he's not going to report you.

What he is doing is plain harassment. I would consider handing all his communiques to an attorney and get his opinion. Then have the attorney send him a registered letter warning him. If it continues, turn it in to the local authorities. He is infringing on your civil rights. Maybe contact Jonathan Rupprecht, an attorney that champions our rights as pilots of remote vehicles.

Reactions: Torque and dart106
Best thing to do in these types of situations is to ignore the bully. He doesn't care that he is in the wrong and in fact he probably knows it. Do you really care if he reports you (OP)? No, of course you don't because you've done nothing wrong. All he wants is attention. Ignoring him will drive him nuts more than anything else. And my guess....he's not going to report you.
I get that, 100% I just don't take being threatened with the feds lightly. According to him, he has already reported me. Time will tell. I do wish there was recourse for him falsely accusing me and wasting the time of whatever alphabet agency he's decided I need to be reported to. For now all I have is making him look like a clown in the court of public opinion, and showing how and where he is wrong may help anyone who is reading but not participating. I know I can't change his mind, but I can at least get the correct information out there for the lurkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and RMS001
This guy appears to be a tournament level keyboard warrior who has too much time on his hands. I would ask him two questions. 1. What is your “federal” employee job? 2. What FAA office and phone number did you call so I can also contact them. He will most likely be evasive and get argumentative, proving he’s blowing smoke at you. Anyone in an airplane, tall structure, or driving by can get similar photos, not to mention satellites can take far more detailed pictures. There’s no expectation of privacy in a public space. This guy probably has a burr under his saddle about drones.

Your location appears to be well clear of any airport traffic area, and there’s no restriction noted on the map.

Just remember, anyone, can post anything, and claim to be anything, on the internet.

He’s in the wrong. You’re not.880434FA-D71F-4546-A9B9-F2DE6FE91179.jpeg

Show him this link... if the shipyard itself is sharing images, hard to say you doing it is a problem. But I'd be asking him to cite the law he is stating. If he can't point to it, he is ignorable.

-->

ps: all that said: in times of National Emergency or Special circumstances, photography can be denied by presidential order... but I haven't heard anything about such measures being generally taken. They exist at high security bases like those in Nevada... but not in places like Phoenix, San Diego, etc.
Another good response to him. Please post the Presidential Order barring photos of this location. Put him on the defense. Make him prove his accusations.

This guy appears to be a tournament level keyboard warrior who has too much time on his hands. I would ask him two questions. 1. What is your “federal” employee job? 2. What FAA office and phone number did you call so I can also contact them. He will most likely be evasive and get argumentative, proving he’s blowing smoke at you. Anyone in an airplane, tall structure, or driving by can get similar photos, not to mention satellites can take far more detailed pictures. There’s no expectation of privacy in a public space. This guy probably has a burr under his saddle about drones.

Your location appears to be well clear of any airport traffic area, and there’s no restriction noted on the map.

Just remember, anyone, can post anything, and claim to be anything, on the internet.

He’s in the wrong. You’re not.View attachment 144609

He is a part 107 holder with his own company. He's maintaining that I am a danger to national security and make drone operators look bad. I'd argue that he is making himself look bad, his business look bad and making him look like an uninformed A HOLE.

I get that, 100% I just don't take being threatened with the feds lightly. According to him, he has already reported me. Time will tell. I do wish there was recourse for him falsely accusing me and wasting the time of whatever alphabet agency he's decided I need to be reported to. For now all I have is making him look like a clown in the court of public opinion, and showing how and wher ehe is wrong may help anyone who is reading but not participating. I know I can't change his mind, but I can at least get the correct information out there for the lurkers.
I totally get that. I'm the same way. BUT...you have absolutely nothing to gain by continuing to fuel this Man-Karen, and possibly something to lose. Just let it go, my friend. Take joy in the fact that he will be infuriated by losing his punching bag.

He is a part 107 holder with his own company. He's maintaining that I am a danger to national security and make drone operators look bad. I'd argue that he is making himself look bad, his business look bad and making him look like an uninformed A HOLE.
Appears he’s merely trying to pump up his pompous ego with a “Hey! Look at me!” post.

I totally get that. I'm the same way. BUT...you have absolutely nothing to gain by continuing to fuel this Man-Karen, and possibly something to lose. Just let it go, my friend. Take joy in the fact that he will be infuriated by losing his punching bag.
LOL! Man-Karen, i like that better than Ken.

Will do. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Tell him to get bent. There is nothing there that is in restricted airspace, or of a sensitive nature.

What group is this?
I laughed out loud Vic. You are extremely knowledgeable and usually serious in nature, NOT a bad thing, I loved the "Tell him to get bent!" Accurate and appropriate. He watched too many years of NCIS and I guess he is going to call Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs at NCIS to come deal with this!!

Reactions: PaulNH and dart106
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580