Join Us Now

Am I in the wrong?

DRONO

Quo Fata Ferunt
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
jonobrands.com
Long story short, some guy on in a FB page has bumped a 6 week old thread to say he's reporting me to the FAA for having pictures of a shipyard in my flickr photo-stream.

Area in question:
Capture2.PNG

Straight off the FAA Site:

Capture4.PNG

I've posted this information to said group and yet he persists. Please tell me I'm not taking cray pills in believing this is 100% fine. If I"m wrong, I'm wrong and have no beef admitting such.

Mind you, these are ships in a shipyard that are under construction, featured in local news and all well known builds in the are. . . it's a naval and shipbuilding town. There are NO ACTIVE military vessels shown, simply the shipyard and 2 hulls of a public project. These are non active, non commissioned vessels.

Capture3.PNG

He has not shot my any links as he said he was going to.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I can link to pics if interested, they're nothing close up, nothing more than industrial looking areas on a beautiful day.

Tell him to get bent. There is nothing there that is in restricted airspace, or of a sensitive nature.

What group is this?

Reactions: Torque and DRONO
Tell him to get bent. There is nothing there that is in restricted airspace, or of a sensitive nature.

What group is this?
That's basically where I am at, too.

VIRGINIA Drone Club

Now he's saying I'll have my answers form a federal agent in 7 days, lol wtf?

Capture5.PNG

Reactions: BBartol
Reactions: BBartol
My real rub is that he blames for for making other drone operators look bad. I am one of the guys that is the first to call out a jackass for doing stupid thing and messing it up for the rest of us. I am not new to drones, I had studied and scheduled my part 107 then COVID happened. I'm not a child and I'm not an irresponsible uas operator, so it really chaps my (Mod Removed Language)and I hate having to question if I'm in the wrong, but please if I am, let me know.

I haven't found any rules from the FAA that specify no flying over shipyards regardless of air space allowances, and you'd think that if that was a big thing, then the MILITARY would have big red NO FLY ZONES on all the air maps and somehting in the NOTAMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Torque
Done and done.
Google Earth: If you go to Google Earth, you can zoom onto where you can see details on the Naval ships and People!

Attachments

• Newport News Shipyard.jpg
    Newport News Shipyard.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Yes. That's been established. ?
So is it being able to get commonly available pictures of the shipyard or the flight over it? Either way, I don't see his issue.

Show him this link... if the shipyard itself is sharing images, hard to say you doing it is a problem. But I'd be asking him to cite the law he is stating. If he can't point to it, he is ignorable.

-->

ps: all that said: in times of National Emergency or Special circumstances, photography can be denied by presidential order... but I haven't heard anything about such measures being generally taken. They exist at high security bases like those in Nevada... but not in places like Phoenix, San Diego, etc.

Last edited:
Show him this link... if the shipyard itself is sharing images, hard to say you doing it is a problem. But I'd be asking him to cite the law he is stating. If he can't point to it, he is ignorable.

-->

ps: all that said: in times of National Emergency or Special circumstances, photography can be denied by presidential order... but I haven't heard anything about such measures being generally taken. They exist at high security bases like those in Nevada... but not in places like Phoenix, San Diego, etc.
My wife almost got arrested in San Diego about ten years for taking pictures of ships. And that was from shore, no drone. I would imagine location would determine the photography restrictions.

The flip side is I had a friend who spent his vacations going around to shipyards photographing ships in extreme detail so he could make models of them. Close and personal photos, fully open about what he was doing. He was never stopped.

The flip side is I had a friend who spent his vacations going around to shipyards photographing ships in extreme detail so he could make models of them. Close and personal photos, fully open about what he was doing. He was never stopped.
What types of ships? I bet he made some nice models!

This situation is not about right and wrong, its about the consequences of being in this position. Reporting you will put you on the Radar, possibly with the FAA or any other agency who they report to. Its not worth it, This is just a guy trying to protect are country anyway he can, so just apologize , thank him for making you aware and delete it for him .

Its taking the higher rd and the greater good is for you to stay out of the spot light.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

This situation is not about right and wrong, its about the consequences of being in this position. Reporting you will put you on the Radar, possibly with the FAA or any other agency who they report to. Its not worth it, This is just a guy trying to protect are country anyway he can, so just apologize , thank him for making you aware and delete it for him .

Its taking the higher rd and the greater good is for you to stay out of the spot light.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
I respectfully disagree.

I'm not worried about being on radar as I play by the rules and have nothing to hide.
If I've done nothing wrong, which I haven't, then there is no "being in the position". I would hope that he'd be put on the radar for wasting time and making bunk claims, no matter how well intentioned he thinks he is. I don't take being threatened with the feds lightly. I haven't removed the photos, but I've changed their permissions. He can kick rocks.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about being on radar as I play by the rules and have nothing to hide.
If I've done nothing wrong, which I haven't, then there is no "being in the position". I would hope that he'd be put on the radar for wasting time and making bunk claims, no matter how well intentioned he thinks he is. I don't take being threatened with the feds lightly. I haven't removed the photos, but I've changed their permissions. He can kick rocks.
I absolutely agree with your thinking. If he is wrong he needs to know and not be reporting things that don't need to be reported and wasting everyones time.

he's reporting me to the FAA

"I will give you until Monday".

What a jerk, the FAA will not give one da. . . . care, not their authority.
Now IF the place does have some sort of no fly rule being something to do with military 'secrets' etc, that would be a fed thing.

My guess is same as yours, 'nothing (at ALL) to see here'.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi