DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An issue Flying the Mavic in the rain

Flew in rain, some times medium-to-heavy rain, on several continents, and never had a technical problem afterwards.

Be sure to keep the power on after landing until battery dies, and use the internal heat to help dry the bird.

I know this is an old post, but why keep the power on? Is it so the internal fan can help dry the motherboard if moisture laden? Maybe it could be more likely to short something out leaving it powered on rather than leaving it over a radiator, for example.

Reactions: DynoTech
I know this is an old post, but why keep the power on? Is it so the internal fan can help dry the motherboard if moisture laden? Maybe it could be more likely to short something out leaving it powered on rather than leaving it over a radiator, for example.

My understanding of the theory is that if you power down immediately moisture stays inside mavic potentially for a long time and may cause corrosion.

Leaving mavic powered on removes any moisture because the internals get hot and the fan keeps moving air.

I’m not aware of any studies which show conclusively one method is better than the other, but I’m squarely in the leave mavic turned on so it can dry out camp.

My understanding of the theory is that if you power down immediately moisture stays inside mavic potentially for a long time and may cause corrosion.

Leaving mavic powered on removes any moisture because the internals get hot and the fan keeps moving air.

I’m not aware of any studies which show conclusively one method is better than the other, but I’m squarely in the leave mavic turned on so it can dry out camp.
Sounds insane/unsound. Power off and remove the battery. Store upside down unfolded.

What possible justification is there for leaving it on? And before you answer, know that I'm a board-level repair microsoldering expert.

I think he told you his justification. Coincidentally I too am a board-level repair microsoldering expert and I can see his point - it is already working so why not leave it on to dry quicker with help from the internal fan and self generated heat? If it was going wrong I would switch off immediately and use gentle heat from a radiator, perhaps.

So you think using a fan to blow moisture across a live circuit board is a good idea? Good luck to both of you.

:rolleyes:
11 month old thread guys.
Merry Christmas to you both

So what? Doesn't it rain or mist on planet earth any more? Was the thread definitively shut down with a right answer or might it still be interesting to some? And didn't I say I knew it was an old thread? What is up with some of you long time members?

Oh, and happy new year.

Last edited:
So what? Doesn't it rain or mist on planet earth any more? Was the thread definitively shut down with a right answer or might it still be interesting to some? And didn't I say I knew it was an old thread? What is up with some of you mature members?

Oh, and happy new year.
Oh it's just my age then:)

Not that my experience should sway you one way or the other, but I’ve had mavic for coming up on 3 years now. I’ve operated it for hundreds of hours in all kinds of conditions, including occasional light rain, and at least one heavy downpour that caught me off guard, and I’ve always used the” leave it powered on” method for drying the intervals.
It’s a sample size of 1, so not a scientific study, but I’ve had good luck.

Reactions: kidroc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143