DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Analysis of a video: Why it didn't catch on as well as I hoped...

For me its:
  • the classical music doesn't match theme of the Forrest awakening, need some sort of chill out/ relaxation themes that provide a mystical background to the imagery you have filmed
  • the close up of the plants don't add anything, I like the weir and lake flyovers as POI's that link the viewer to the location
  • the transitions are a bit inconsistent and fast
If flying in a forested area, I haven't seen many pilots using the "fixed wing" mode to simulate a bird flying around.
A change of altitude adds interest and prespective, swoop down and fly through the trees etc.

Reactions: MaxE1955! and MKurr
Constructive criticism, only my vewpoint.

Got to agree with lannes on the choice of music, the first track sounds like the backing for an old silent film, it’s just wrong.

Group the type of shot more rather than a big mix of close up & distance.

Your fade through transitions work best for the subject.

I agree with the above - I'd have used fade-through transitions because they are gentle rather than abrupt. I'd be thinking about the Forest slowly waking up with the increase in warmth - but the abrupt transitions and music make it seem like the alarm clock has gone off!
I think you should also lose the shots that show the drone's down-wash on the trees ... It takes away from that 'observer' feeling ...
I also felt that the two types of music you put together clashed a bit ... Try it with just the second track only perhaps [???]
Apart from that - you have some great subject material there ... try different edits and music and I'm sure you'll get some great results ...
Well done for posting and asking for feedback ... I hope this is helpful ...

Unfortunately, in today's world, a lot of people have a very short attention span. Over 3 minutes is a relatively long time to ask people to stay focused. Personally, I wouldn't put up a video over 1.5 minutes unless it's bloomin' amazing footage. I agree with the previous comments. Thanks for posting though and as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Sound track - Doesn’t fit. This can be the hardest piece in editing.

Length - Go for 2 minutes or less. Unless...

Subject matter - This is always key for me. I want something impactful that will keep my interest.

Shooting technique - I want to see varying cinematic drone shoots.

Thanks for posting your video and asking for feedback. It is a great university (-:

I agree with the above - I'd have used fade-through transitions because they are gentle rather than abrupt. I'd be thinking about the Forest slowly waking up with the increase in warmth - but the abrupt transitions and music make it seem like the alarm clock has gone off!
I think you should also lose the shots that show the drone's down-wash on the trees ... It takes away from that 'observer' feeling ...
I also felt that the two types of music you put together clashed a bit ... Try it with just the second track only perhaps [???]
Apart from that - you have some great subject material there ... try different edits and music and I'm sure you'll get some great results ...
Well done for posting and asking for feedback ... I hope this is helpful ...
So then maybe it would be better for me to just cut off the first part... Hmmm...

Thanks for the constructive feedback everyone! Maybe I'll make a remake soon... I myself thought that the music transition was abrupt, I really had trouble finding a good soundtrack to go with it.. Anyway, let's see if the next one will be better....

So then maybe it would be better for me to just cut off the first part... Hmmm...
Agree with points made... would add that a few of the vignettes early on were so short that the viewer can’t see them long enough the “register” the images really, and they create a jerkiness kind of feeling... rec 4-5 sec minimum for these.
Loved the vistas and the close flybys... but be careful. I tend to do close flybys very slowly and speed up in post.

Reactions: MKurr
Sound and image compositions are difficult. The images have their own rhythm and feeling. Music choice needs to complement this in some way. For me, it can take 15 or more try’s to find something that works. Once you find something that begins to work, you can often improve things by managing the relationship between cuts (or transitions) and the rhythm of the music. Cutting on a beat or a phrase often works.

From my point of view, you're preaching to the choir here on a drone forum. Everyone has seen that type of shot on their own videos.
The right score can even make a pile ... unforgettable but that piece is a little distracting I'm thinking.
I would say...show it to your mother...she'll love it and you won't have to change a thing

Reactions: lannes
From my point of view, you're preaching to the choir here on a drone forum. Everyone has seen that type of shot on their own videos.
The right score can even make a pile ... unforgettable but that piece is a little distracting I'm thinking.
I would say...show it to your mother...she'll love it and you won't have to change a thing
Lol

Unfortunately, in today's world, a lot of people have a very short attention span. Over 3 minutes is a relatively long time to ask people to stay focused. Personally, I wouldn't put up a video over 1.5 minutes unless it's bloomin' amazing footage. I agree with the previous comments. Thanks for posting though and as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.
Got to agree to that.
In a way Drone video is like holiday photographs in that they can be interesting to the person taking them but not to others.

its best to sort out a small few interesting holiday photographs to show people and keep the rest for personal memory's, people will then appreciate them without getting board by the usual multiple images of the same place & “ that's so and so in front of wherever but I cut her head off”.

Same apply s to drone video, cut the best for a short video to show others but do a version for yourself to bring back memory's.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue