DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android or Apple?

...I came across this conversation on the DJI forums pages...said you have to download an earlier version of the app to work on an android....just wanted confirmation/contradiction....is anyone having this same issue using android on the lates (4.3.8) firmware...?

If you do not already own an MP, I would start with the phone you already have and see if the screen is big enough. I got the Wunderphone (search these forums) when I got my Mavic Pro a year or so ago and haven't needed anything larger. Although I had the intention of purchasing a tablet once I was used to the drone - never needed too. Not sure how available they will be since the US had its CFO locked up in Canada but I think the clarity of the screen in sunny conditions is better than my iPhone 6s plus (which I also use on occasion) and the screen size is exactly the same. I also bought a few extra things right off the bat including a battery charger (like this) which was my best purchase outside of the drone itself. I have the polar pro filter set (I made a comparison video here) but honestly I do not use them much.

I was kinda in your shoes wanting to buy a whole bunch of stuff before I got the thing but if I did it again I would wait to see what I needed. I did get the fly more combo with the little DJI bag (which I think is awesome - holds the bird, 3 batts, extra props, controller, memory cards, etc.) and a backpack from Costco that I put the little bag in to carry everything (landing pad, charger, other stuff) including a gallon zip lock in it of stuff I have never touched - the OEM chargers, cords, not sure what else but it seems like a lot.

Take your time. Hopefully it will last a while but you could spend the whole $600, have a fly away experience so your DJI Care Refresh doesn't work (without the drone), and be out everything.... Never happened to me but lots of post about it especially with the MP2.

Happy flying!

The first screen I used with my Mavic Pro was an ageing Samsung Galaxy S4 because I couldn't get DJI Go 4 to connect using my S7. The S4 worked fine except for about a one-second lag - you have to understand that DJI Go 4 is a very intensive app which hammers the CPU, Video chipset and just about every other processing component on the phone or tablet.

When I finally found the setting that enabled the S7 to successfully connect I was happy with the improved performance (no more lag) but then started thinking that the bigger and brighter screen on my 1st generation 9.7" iPad Pro would be a lot nicer. My only concerns were the extra weight and the need to acquire some sort of add-on bracket to accommodate the iPad.

$25 (Tablet Holder price) later I am now extremely happy using the iPad Pro - it took a little getting used to the extra weight and not being able to see the RC sticks and buttons but you should really be doing it all by touch anyway.

If I didn't already have the iPad Pro I would be waiting a few more months for the expected release if the iPad Mini 5 (or Pro). IMHO the screen size of the Mini is perfect and you don't need to use a bracket to mount it on the RC. Previous comments on this and other threads about the iPad Mini 4's suitability are spot on - it's old tech and only just does the job. For best results kill off all apps running in background and deactivate video caching in DJI GO 4.

Last edited:
I have a brand new mavic 2 Pro and cannot update the firmware using my Pixel (Android). By searching the web it appears that this is a common problem. Very disappointed with DJI, I see nothing on their website, just ignoring the issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman