DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying neighbors.

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
So then, I have a question that's still a bit confusing for me. I fly purely recreational, only for my own fun and enjoyment. I then watch the videos and want to make a short video of my flight and post it on YouTube, for no reason other than to share the video. I've posted 1 video of the over 150 flights I've had, and creating that video was an afterthought. Would that pop the 'recreational' bubble of 107, since I posted the video for others to enjoy? The way I see it is if I took that flight for the sole purpose of creating and posting a video, it would fall outside of recreational, but since I didn't and simply wanted to post the video after the fact, than it doesn't. Am I wrong in my thinking? Thanks for your thoughts.

Rob

I live in a rural area with homes on 5-acre parcels. We had new neighbors move in awhile ago, and I mentioned to the new guy that I flew drones and if he saw one of mine to not worry, I'm not spying. I also offered to shoot some photos and videos of this home when the plants and trees start looking more springlike. His response was to go right ahead, he'd love some photos, and he's been thinking of buying a drone himself! I told him I'd be more than happy to let him fly mine around a bit - heck, might have to sell him my Spark or MP1.
My neighborhood isn't quite that rural, but pretty close.

The only drone interaction I've had from neighbors are curious inquiries, and one guy who found a long lost drone and brought it back to me!

Being right can make you feel warm and fuzzy inside your head, but needs to be moderated when you speak out loud...at least, if you have any interest in peaceful coexistence, which I certainly do.

TCS

Reactions: slozukimc
What is the purpose of your YouTube channel?
Will you share your videos to public or just to family and friends?
Do you add a link to your YouTube channel from your Facebook page?
How many subscribers to your YouTube channel?
Is there anything in your videos to suspect not flying according to FAA rules?

None of those questions matter at all . . .

The only question to ask is, "What is the INTENT of the flight(s)?"

If the intent of the flight is purely recreational then what happens after the flight is irrelevant. A hobbyist/Recreational user can post DATA acquired from a Recreational flight online and even sell such data if it is later deemed to have value. INTENT OF THE FLIGHT is all that matters in this conversation.

Now if someone is gathering data with the INTENT to sell or promote via website, flyer, social media, TV, magazine, newspaper, billboard, WHATEVER then the INTENT of the flight was outside of Recreational and PArt 107 in nature.

Merely posting on a YT channel in and of itself is not an automatic exclusion for ~44809/Recreational flight. That is painting with a brush WAY too wide. While some aspects of placing on a YT channel COULD be deemed commercial that is not an across the board disqualifier.

Reactions: RH009
What is the purpose of your YouTube channel?
No particular purpose for the channel. I literally just made an edit of the video of my first flight in manual mode and posted it to share with the community and family.
Will you share your videos to public or just to family and friends?
It's marked as public, but don't have a reason I couldn't mark it as link only. I have no plans of launching a full time, often updated channel.
Do you add a link to your YouTube channel from your Facebook page?
Nope, don't have FB, but I did add a link to the video on the DJI forum.
How many subscribers to your YouTube channel?
Zero. I don't intend to upload videos often, but maybe here and there if I have a fun flight that I enjoyed doing and the scenery is nice. I don't see myself ever flying for the purpose of uploading to YouTube.
Is there anything in your videos to suspect not flying according to FAA rules?
Not that I'm aware of, as I follow all FAA rules and regulations.

Rob

So then, I have a question that's still a bit confusing for me. I fly purely recreational, only for my own fun and enjoyment. I then watch the videos and want to make a short video of my flight and post it on YouTube, for no reason other than to share the video. I've posted 1 video of the over 150 flights I've had, and creating that video was an afterthought. Would that pop the 'recreational' bubble of 107, since I posted the video for others to enjoy? The way I see it is if I took that flight for the sole purpose of creating and posting a video, it would fall outside of recreational, but since I didn't and simply wanted to post the video after the fact, than it doesn't. Am I wrong in my thinking? Thanks for your thoughts.

Rob

NOOOO!

If the flights were indeed recreational that is ALL THAT MATTERS!!! Anyone telling you differently is badly mistaken and doesn't understand what they are trying to explain.

NOOOO!

If the flights were indeed recreational that is ALL THAT MATTERS!!! Anyone telling you differently is badly mistaken and doesn't understand what they are trying to explain.
Thanks, that is my understanding also, I just wanted the insight of others as well. I guess it's an area that would depend on the truthfulness of the PIC, leaving the burden to the FAA to prove otherwise.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks, that is my understanding also, I just wanted the insight of others as well. I guess it's an area that would depend on the truthfulness of the PIC, leaving the burden to the FAA to prove otherwise.

This is true but often times their "actions" can be very telling. After just a conversation or two the truth will usually work it's way out to the surface.

Answers to those questions were to help the poster to determine intent or purpose of the flights.

And my statement stands true.

You said: (My response in bold)
What is the purpose of your YouTube channel? Doesn't matter!!
Will you share your videos to public or just to family and friends? Doesn't matter!!
Do you add a link to your YouTube channel from your Facebook page? Doesn't matter!!
How many subscribers to your YouTube channel? Doesn't matter!!
Is there anything in your videos to suspect not flying according to FAA rules? This is a consideration but does not dictate anything pertaining to THIS conversation!!

You can't paint this complex situation with such a wide brush!!

The only concern is the INTENT/REASON for the Flight itself.

None of those questions matter at all . . .

The only question to ask is, "What is the INTENT of the flight(s)?"

If the intent of the flight is purely recreational then what happens after the flight is irrelevant. A hobbyist/Recreational user can post DATA acquired from a Recreational flight online and even sell such data if it is later deemed to have value. INTENT OF THE FLIGHT is all that matters in this conversation.

Now if someone is gathering data with the INTENT to sell or promote via website, flyer, social media, TV, magazine, newspaper, billboard, WHATEVER then the INTENT of the flight was outside of Recreational and PArt 107 in nature.

Merely posting on a YT channel in and of itself is not an automatic exclusion for ~44809/Recreational flight. That is painting with a brush WAY too wide. While some aspects of placing on a YT channel COULD be deemed commercial that is not an across the board disqualifier.
So if someone was to post a bunch of drone videos on Youtube with no intent of using them for profit and then say a year later they decide to monetize their Youtube channel and make money off the videos what would happen?

Mike

Reactions: BigAl07
So if someone was to post a bunch of drone videos on Youtube with no intent of using them for profit and then say a year later they decide to monetize their Youtube channel and make money off the videos what would happen?

Mike

Nothing happens!! If the flight(s) we purely recreational it doesn't matter what happens down the road. This is where "Moral Fortitude" comes to play.

As a Recreational Flyer I could create hours and hours of data (legally) and then use it for a Commercial venture later with no problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54