DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying neighbors.

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160650

Hello! Wondering if anyone else’s neighbors have done this… I live in a small non hoa neighborhood. I usually fly my mini 1 at least 200ft above the ground when flying above houses just to avoid stuff like this. I was flying around mid day and I didn’t realize I was flying over my neighbors house down the street and once I was on a walk later that day they shouted out to me to stop trespassing, that I was spying on them, and they were super toxic in general. I try to ignore people like this and I don’t care if they call the cops or not because I have the flight logs to show that I was just passing over (not above people). They have told other neighbors and the same thing has happened over and over. Any thoughts?

Reactions: PeterPatrick
In tight neighborhoods it' good to get to know neighbors in advance of flying around. You might offer them some free aerial pictures of their house. Find some way to get them interested in your activity. Then, know when to back off.
In our very close community I may do some flight tests on the street or on our lawn, that's all. Other flights are away from housing areas. I found ways to make videos useful to the community.

Yip couple times,few years back someone walk up driveway yelling so,ok sweet I was polite,,later knock knock at the door,ah da police,,anyway accused of spying,explain how drone works cause they knew nothing,showed flight log of where I was and height and speed,,,,case closed ,syncing flights does pay,,another kill joy where I live now walk past wanting to moan just cause I was flying around ,not over houses but following road to the mall and back at height not to cause these issues, walking past to see where and who was flying but said nothing(lucky for him)next day council turn up looking for drone pilot,,again he knew nothing so after some explanation I agree not to fly here just to keep neighbours happy,,now got not much patience in life so I dont put myself in those predicaments no more or someone will cop it,not worth the hassel and now fly where humans dont exist ,,this is a hobby and one shouldn't cause grief to those that have no life no matter how good our intentions are,always bad lemons about,if they were educated on how drones work and saw how on max zoom on playback the thing pixels out so you cant see,,to spy you have to be stationery or at point blank range at the window,,years ago on TV there was a add about phantom drones and one of there lines was """"see what your neighbours are up to""" ""it was a parallel imports add,,,,well that was the turning point for those wet blankets ,always be drone haters,,mayby next time you walk past take them a 6 pack of beer or something just as good will gesture becareful and stay safe 👮‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't make your neighbors angry; you have to live in the neighborhood. It's not always about being right.
It is all about exercising our freedoms without pain in the butt neighbors telling us we can’t.

If a neighbor is jerk enough to complain about that youbaren’t going to make them happy no matter what you do so enjoy your hobby legally and tell them to go pound salt. Then explain to other neighbors that are friendly what the situation is so they know who is right.

I am not a person that is going to stand by and let some (Mod Removed Language)tell me I can’t do what I am legally allowed to do. They can listen and learn the rules quietly or things can get loud and cops can come drag them off for harrassment.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Had that “you are spying on me” happen to me several years ago. I was at 200 feet altitude and 300 feet out. I nicely explained to him that if I wanted to spy on him, I would take a picture of him with my iPhone from the street in telephoto mode. No more comments.

I am a bit more direct with my neighbors. When one stopped and asked the question I explained what I was doing. I then showed them how a sUAS worked. We then had him fly over his house, at about 150 feet. We never had an issue after that, he was surprised at what he saw, the top of his house nothing else. He is also now aware that I use it in Search and Rescue .

Last edited:
I am new to drone flying, but aren't we supposed to keep our drones in our line of sight? If that is the case, it seems that we would be close enough for them to approach us at the time for us to explain what we are doing. My neighborhood is boring to fly over, so I have gone to more scenic places to fly so far, so have not experienced this annoyance from neighbors, but appreciate everyone sharing their experiences here so I can think about this in the future. I hope this original situation works out ok.

Hello! Wondering if anyone else’s neighbors have done this… I live in a small non hoa neighborhood. I usually fly my mini 1 at least 200ft above the ground when flying above houses just to avoid stuff like this. I was flying around mid day and I didn’t realize I was flying over my neighbors house down the street and once I was on a walk later that day they shouted out to me to stop trespassing, that I was spying on them, and they were super toxic in general. I try to ignore people like this and I don’t care if they call the cops or not because I have the flight logs to show that I was just passing over (not above people). They have told other neighbors and the same thing has happened over and over. Any thoughts?
The same happened to me about a year ago. In order to get a good shot of my place I inadvertently hovered over a nearby property. My neighbor came out and started shouting that he would call the police. He couldn't see me so I took the drone up and then back home and landed it. Since then I am very careful and take off straight up to around 100 m before heading out and away from my place avoiding other peoples houses etc.

It is all about exercising our freedoms without pain in the butt neighbors telling us we can’t.

If a neighbor is jerk enough to complain about that youbaren’t going to make them happy no matter what you do so enjoy your hobby legally and tell them to go pound salt. Then explain to other neighbors that are friendly what the situation is so they know who is right.

I am not a person that is going to stand by and let some jackass tell me I can’t do what I am legally allowed to do. They can listen and learn the rules quietly or things can get loud and cops can come drag them off for harrassment.

Mike
I totally agree with this but you are much more polite than me. My other response to the neighbor would be, I you don't like it, MOVE! We'd love to see a grumpy fart like you out of the neighborhood.

I totally agree with this but you are much more polite than me. My other response to the neighbor would be, I you don't like it, MOVE! We'd love to see a grumpy fart like you out of the neighborhood.
Well I try to be polite here. There might be a bit of bleep bleep and get bleep outta here too.

Mike

If I had that type of situation I would absolutely consider changing my methods (ascend to aprox 400'AGL prior to lateral movement) or maybe even not fly in the neighborhood at all. I was told something that I didn't take to heart when I was younger and built hot-rods:

Don't POOP where you SLEEP!

If you like the neighborhood and want to live there long-term peaceful sometimes it's better to make the needed changes.

If I had that type of situation I would absolutely consider changing my methods (ascend to aprox 400'AGL prior to lateral movement) or maybe even not fly in the neighborhood at all. I was told something that I didn't take to heart when I was younger and built hot-rods:

Don't POOP where you SLEEP!

If you like the neighborhood and want to live there long-term peaceful sometimes it's better to make the needed changes.
No poopin here. Cleanin up the poop from the pain in the butt neighbor coming over and crapping in my business.
I can understand not running your big block Nova or whatever up and down the street at 1am. There is a case of don’t poop where ya sleep. If you aren’t doing anything wrong then who is doing the poopin? The one doin the whining.

Mike

Reactions: WDKZoom
In tight neighborhoods it' good to get to know neighbors in advance of flying around. You might offer them some free aerial pictures of their house. Find some way to get them interested in your activity. Then, know when to back off.
In our very close community I may do some flight tests on the street or on our lawn, that's all. Other flights are away from housing areas. I found ways to make videos useful to the community.
I live in a rural area with homes on 5-acre parcels. We had new neighbors move in awhile ago, and I mentioned to the new guy that I flew drones and if he saw one of mine to not worry, I'm not spying. I also offered to shoot some photos and videos of this home when the plants and trees start looking more springlike. His response was to go right ahead, he'd love some photos, and he's been thinking of buying a drone himself! I told him I'd be more than happy to let him fly mine around a bit - heck, might have to sell him my Spark or MP1.

Been flying from my front yard for about 2 years now....only had one Karen whine about my drone, she said she sunbathes on her deck, I stopped her there and profusely thanked her for the warning saying I'd rather take my eye out with a sharp stock than witness that!
She never said anything else to me again...and I'm still flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998