DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Alternative To The DJI 100W Charger

TerryOregon

Reactions
I'm late to the the Air 3 party, bought the Air 3 about two weeks ago. Like everyone else - discovered there was no wall supply included. All I had laying around was a 20W USB-C supply. It worked, but seemed to take forever.

A few minutes on Google, I find out I need a 65W or 100W supply. Lots of threads on this issue - especially this one (with DJI moderator input). So, I ordered the 65W Anker supply HERE. Now I'm measuring about 60W while charging. That's actually fine enough by me. But somehow I feel challenged. If DJI implies you can get 100W charging, I want to see it. Are we stuck using the official DJI 100W supply - which is a bit pricey?

So I ordered an Amazon Basics 100W supply HERE. This was tested by an electrical engineer HERE (and did well).

Once received, I plugged in the supplied DJI USB-C cable and measured the charging wattage using an in-line USB-C meter. BTW, the Air 3 battery being used was drained to 5%. But Still, I was only getting about 60 watts charging into the battery cradle. Well what's going on? Suspicious of the DJI provided cable, I replaced it with one rated at 100W and also tried another rated at 240W. Link HERE and HERE. FINALLY, with the Amazon Basics charger (and proper cable), I FINALLY GET 100 WATTS (actually measured). A look at the meter shows the Amazon supply easily ramps up to100 watts. You will need about 20V and 5A going in to get near 100 watts. Some supplies may only negotiate to about 15V - in which case you will never get much higher than 60W.

The reviewer here also found that the supplied DJI cable WILL NOT GIVE YOU 100W charging power, regardless of what brick you use.

I could not find a power rating for the supplied USB-C cable that comes with the fly-more kit. Is there one?

DJI lists the charging time as "Approx. 60 minutes (with DJI 100W USB-C Power Adapter and Battery Charging Hub)". Well, I assume the DJI charger's cable can take 100 watts - so that would work fine. Seems odd that DJI would include a cable with the 'fly-more-combo' kit that CAN'T pass 100 watts.

If you want an alternative to the DJI charger, here's links to everything I used;

Amazon basics charger LINK $40
100W cable LINK $10
or 240W cable LINK
wattage (only) meter (used in the video) LINK $11 (pack of two)
Not in video, but used during testing. USB-C meter (volts, amperage, watts) LINK (useful for confirming 'negotiated' charging voltage between devices) $17

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erk1024 and WShade
Amazon basics charger LINK $40
100W cable LINK $10
or 240W cable LINK
wattage (only) meter (used in the video) LINK $11 (pack of two)
Not in video, but used during testing. USB-C meter (volts, amperage, watts) LINK (useful for confirming 'negotiated' charging voltage between devices) $17

I also bought those UGreen 100W USB cables and I can confirm they work well. Good for data transfer too.

Reactions: TerryOregon
Reactions: TerryOregon
I highly recommend the small wattage meter I used. They're ridiculously cheap at $11 (for a pack of two). So easy to monitor your actual wattage, for any device using USB-C.
(www.amazon.com/link)

Attachments

• Clip0001.jpg
    Clip0001.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members