DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone in the Airport

SnowSkier

Reactions
Yesterday, another ******* flew a drone in the Oporto Airport, Portugal.
Because of him, more than 20 flights were delayed and he managed to stop the airport just because he was making "flybys" in the airport area.

What a stupid *******!!!

One of these days it will be forbidden to fly a private drone because these guys are stupid!

Because of him, more than 20 flights were delayed and he managed to stop the airport just because he was making "flybys" in the airport area.

What a stupid *******!!!

One of these days it will be forbidden to fly a private drone because these guys are stupid!
So what are the consequences for such actions in Portugal?...be safe, fly smart

What a stupid *******!!!

People do stupid things with cars. They even do terrorist attacks with cars.

Yeah, sure. But people will still drive their cars and do stupid things with it. Now, with drones most people do not accept these new technologies and even condemn them...that's the problem.
And if you have a stupid pilot flying in the airport...

Reactions: Flashcot

Whilst ignoring the fact cars provide a useful and essential function to society at large so can't realistically be banned. (Although they ARE banned from areas where security is required by laws, concrete bollards and barriers....)
Drones for recreational use however perform NO essential function to society at large so its much easier to ban them if they pose a safety risk.

Reactions: MiniPalourde
Whilst ignoring the fact cars provide a useful and essential function to society at large so can't realistically be banned. (Although they ARE banned from areas where security is required by laws, concrete bollards and barriers....)
Drones for recreational use however perform NO essential function to society at large so its much easier to ban them if they pose a safety risk.
Please don't confuse the issue with facts... :)

I drive a car for recreational reasons, and I'm afraid that cars will be banned from everywhere in the planet, because there are some idiots driving irresponsibly.

And after this drone incident, I'm afraid that airports will become NFZ.

I'll start collecting stamps. Is it a safe hobby, or they will ban stamps too?

Reactions: pinoydrone

Sorry. I call BS on this one too. I don't have access to original articles in Portuguese with more information but with the limited information presented in English-language articles, the odds of this "event" being a drone are highly unlikely, and even if it was actually a drone, an extreme overreaction by the air traffic controllers. From the article:
"Operations at Porto airport were put on hold for 40 minutes yesterday afternoon after an aircraft saw a drone flying 5,500 feet from the ground."

(Drone halts flights at Porto Airport)
Drone was forced to stop Porto Airport in 40 minutes – Observer

Why the airport would halt operations (and it never says the sighting was confirmed) for 40 minutes after a pilot reported a drone over 1 mile high in the air is beyond me. Assuming it actually was a drone, any aircraft spotting a drone at that height would have been a significant distance from the airfield itself. Halting operations (especially takeoffs and landings) was an extreme overreaction to a singular sighting of a drone (even if in a flightpath) several miles from the runway. (e.g. ca.15 nm on approach). And honestly, I doubt a drone was flying at that height (though it's not impossible) and if it was, it certainly wasn't flying at that altitude for more than a few minutes.

Reactions: Oconnb910
Sorry. I call BS on this one too. I don't have access to original articles in Portuguese with more information but with the limited information presented , I doubt a drone was flying at that height (though it's not impossible) and if it was, it certainly wasn't flying at that altitude for more than a few minutes.

Are you sure about that? That's not a responsible quote.
I'm sure you know there were already a report of a drone hiting an aircraft, don't you? I'm sure you do.
Well, if you were a comercial pilot flying an aircraft with lots of people inside, being you responsible for them, what would you think if you did see a drone flying near you? Would you be responsible?
What if a drone hit an aircraft reactor? Would you still be so calm with the situation?

Sorry. I call BS on this one too. I don't have access to original articles in Portuguese with more information but with the limited information presented in English-language articles, the odds of this "event" being a drone are highly unlikely, and even if it was actually a drone, an extreme overreaction by the air traffic controllers..

Well, please read the news below and shove it up! ;)

"ANA [Airports of Portugal] confirms the occurrence that led to an interruption of the operation for 40 minutes, due to traffic closure. The drone was found on the runway and handed over to the authorities,

The PSP Metropolitan Command told Lusa Agency that it had received an alert for an occurrence with a drone "that violated the airspace of the airport", which would "fall inside the perimeter of the airport "Humberto Delgado.

The device was seized by the police, who reported the facts to the Public Prosecutor's Office to investigate the possible crime of "an attack on the safety of transport by air, water or rail", provided for in article 288 of the Penal Code, whose penalty can go from one to ten years in prison."

Sorry. I call BS on this one too. I don't have access to original articles in Portuguese with more information but with the limited information presented in English-language articles, the odds of this "event" being a drone are highly unlikely, and even if it was actually a drone, an extreme overreaction by the air traffic controllers. From the article:
"Operations at Porto airport were put on hold for 40 minutes yesterday afternoon after an aircraft saw a drone flying 5,500 feet from the ground."

(Drone halts flights at Porto Airport)
Drone was forced to stop Porto Airport in 40 minutes – Observer

Why the airport would halt operations (and it never says the sighting was confirmed) for 40 minutes after a pilot reported a drone over 1 mile high in the air is beyond me. Assuming it actually was a drone, any aircraft spotting a drone at that height would have been a significant distance from the airfield itself. Halting operations (especially takeoffs and landings) was an extreme overreaction to a singular sighting of a drone (even if in a flightpath) several miles from the runway. (e.g. ca.15 nm on approach). And honestly, I doubt a drone was flying at that height (though it's not impossible) and if it was, it certainly wasn't flying at that altitude for more than a few minutes.
Well, please read the news below and shove it up! ;)

"ANA [Airports of Portugal] confirms the occurrence that led to an interruption of the operation for 40 minutes, due to traffic closure. The drone was found on the runway and handed over to the authorities,

The PSP Metropolitan Command told Lusa Agency that it had received an alert for an occurrence with a drone "that violated the airspace of the airport", which would "fall inside the perimeter of the airport "Humberto Delgado.

The device was seized by the police, who reported the facts to the Public Prosecutor's Office to investigate the possible crime of "an attack on the safety of transport by air, water or rail", provided for in article 288 of the Penal Code, whose penalty can go from one to ten years in prison."
I guess so much for the nay saying now huh? We cant go on calling all of these reports BS.
We know there are people that exceed the altitude recommendations regularly, we know that there are people that do not respect the VLOS recommendations, And we know there are people that will go out of their way to make sure their equipment is not "locked down" to keep them flying like the FAA wants. A BUNCH of them post here every day. Lets give up with all the denial OK? There are multitudes of idiots out there, whether you believe it or not.

Up to 10 years in prison for endangering aircraft safety and human life. Its - pretty much - compared to hijackings.
I guess so much for the nay saying now huh? We cant go on calling all of these reports BS.
We know there are people that exceed the altitude recommendations regularly, we know that there are people that do not respect the VLOS recommendations, And we know there are people that will go out of their way to make sure their equipment is not "locked down" to keep them flying like the FAA wants. A BUNCH of them post here every day. Lets give up with all the denial OK? There are multitudes of idiots out there, whether you believe it or not.

True!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54