DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Idiot, SuperBowl Flyover...you make the call.

Repaid1

Reactions
So you know how YouTube analytics go, somehow I got directed to the Super Bowl fly over. Imagine my surprise when watching towards the end of video. Watch from 8:05 onward.......and then from bottom of screen flying up at 8:25...Strobe on and all. Yes I realize he posed little risk, but that isn't the point. He/She had to be well inside the NFZ/TFR that was in place. Things like this just are wanton disregard to our community and it's well being for the future..I am just flabbergasted at the gall of some people to do whatever they want. The thought that flight could have seen that strobe and diverted flight path just in it self of a timed event flyover would have been a major bummer just in the least of issues that could have happened. /rant over

Reactions: Leckhart
How do you know they were inside the boundary of the TFR?
I read the TFR for the Tampa area, and then went by how planes do their formation closure for final run to target?

How do you know they were inside the boundary of the TFR?
TFR for SB week festivities and SB itself were well advertised around here in the news and even in the drone community. Pilot Institute brought it up "don't be that guy", which prompted the title I used for "that guy" flying downtown.

Also got an email from FAA about it.

Reactions: DoomMeister
TFR for SB week festivities and SB itself were well advertised around here in the news and even in the drone community. Pilot Institute brought it up "don't be that guy", which prompted the title I used for "that guy" flying downtown.

Can you tell exactly where that video was shot?

Well.... looking further the FAA doesn't allow the NFL to fly on game day so they are out...but wait.....seems the local Sheriff is reporting that over 70 Drone incursions (That means "Hostile Entrance" for you and me :p) into the NFZ....see report on Ken's Thurday night chat at 8:30 in the video with news reel...so yeah...bunch of idiots there that night. But not to worry they tracked them all (GPS) and are prosecuting...or so he says (Sheriff/FBI) :oops: So plenty of offenders to pick from for bad press.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeywestside
Obviously I (we) don’t know for sure ‘but’ it looked ok to me ? in that it rose long after the planes had gone, it has a strobe so ‘likely’ to be someone who knows what they are doing, IMHO.

It seems that the software could be programmed by authorities that the drone could not even take off from select areas at designated times? Unless, the software is intentionally bypassed by user.

Several times when the President was in my town my drone was stuck on the ground during the visit.

Please correct me if wrong.

Sad!

Yes, but the TFR isn't of infinite size, it's a specific area that was included. How do you know they were inside the TFR if you can't recognize exactly where they were flying from?

It seems that the software could be programmed by authorities that the drone could not even take off from select areas at designated times? Unless, the software is intentionally bypassed by user.

Several times when the President was in my town my drone was stuck on the ground during the visit.

I have had the same issue here in Ukraine. There is this one building that that I want to photograph and I went there to fly and my drone would not take off either.

Licensed pilot and he new he was breaking the law....silly......

"Canty said he is an FAA-licensed remote pilot drone operator and that he was aware that a TFR was in place for the Super Bowl, authorities said. A review of his drone's flight path showed that it had traveled through downtown Tampa, which was hosting public events related to the Super Bowl, authorities said."

Licensed pilot and he new he was breaking the law....silly......

"Canty said he is an FAA-licensed remote pilot drone operator and that he was aware that a TFR was in place for the Super Bowl, authorities said. A review of his drone's flight path showed that it had traveled through downtown Tampa, which was hosting public events related to the Super Bowl, authorities said."
And this is why we cant have nice things!

Makes it so much harder for people like me that not only fly for someone else for a living, but I also have my own business.

Reactions: anotherlab

Well that's because a TFR went into effect and was advertised far enough in advance that DJI was able to add it to their Flysafe database.

Yes, but the TFR isn't of infinite size, it's a specific area that was included. How do you know they were inside the TFR if you can't recognize exactly where they were flying from?
The TFR was quite large. Similar to DC, though not quite as large and not as permanent.

I am still learning to fly. I knew there was FTR for Super Bowl. Is there anyone can help me to understand here:
1. The Super Bowl stadium is close to Temper airport, it is under the airport restriction area, why FAA need to issue a separate FTR?
2. I searched FTR applied to Florida on FAA site on 2/12/2021, I was not able to find the FTR applied to Temper. See below screenshot. What did I miss?
Screenshot.png
Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31