DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Idiot, SuperBowl Flyover...you make the call.

I am still learning to fly. I knew there was FTR for Super Bowl. Is there anyone can help me to understand here:
1. The Super Bowl stadium is close to Temper airport, it is under the airport restriction area, why FAA need to issue a separate FTR?
2. I searched FTR applied to Florida on FAA site on 2/12/2021, I was not able to find the FTR applied to Temper. See below screenshot. What did I miss?
View attachment 123783
Thanks!
Because an airport is controlled airspace with different boundaries that you can fly within with authorization. A TFR is just that, a "temporary" flight restriction. That's why the airport doesn't show on the TFR list after the Super Bowl TFR has expired. It has it's own permanent airspace restrictions in place.

Here it comes:
2 Men Face Prison After Flying Drones In Super Bowl Airspace
https://patch.com/florida/southtampa/2-men-face-prison-after-flying-drones-super-bowl-airspace
So they use "national defense" as a rationale for imposing TFR around these big sporting events?

Are they afraid of the Black Sunday scenario or something, some bio, chemical or explosive weapons used against players and fans?

Or is it that the NFL and other sports leagues don't want their events filmed by unauthorized parties, potentially making money off them? Imagine if they were allowed to film the game from say 30 feet above the field and streamed live.

Interesting that FBI was scanning the skies and tracking down the pilots. They must have had some equipment for tracking the radio transmissions.

......Or is it that the NFL and other sports leagues don't want their events filmed by unauthorized parties, potentially making money off them? Imagine if they were allowed to film the game from say 30 feet above the field and streamed live......
I'ld like to see the drone that can stay in the air through an entire game....don't think I'ld want to be sitting beneath it.

It seems that the software could be programmed by authorities that the drone could not even take off from select areas at designated times? Unless, the software is intentionally bypassed by user.

Several times when the President was in my town my drone was stuck on the ground during the visit.

Please correct me if wrong.
If it is a DJI drone, it will not take off, but there are countless other drones without any software restriction that you can fly anywhere at your own risk.

So they use "national defense" as a rationale for imposing TFR around these big sporting events?

Are they afraid of the Black Sunday scenario or something, some bio, chemical or explosive weapons used against players and fans?

Or is it that the NFL and other sports leagues don't want their events filmed by unauthorized parties, potentially making money off them? Imagine if they were allowed to film the game from say 30 feet above the field and streamed live.

Interesting that FBI was scanning the skies and tracking down the pilots. They must have had some equipment for tracking the radio transmissions.

Considering that there are hundreds of dedicated and sophisticated cameras within the stadium used to document these games, I don't think the NFL is worried about a drone getting a better shot. They already have a cable-operated camera system that can be at any spot in space very much like a drone. With NFL Super Bowl games being so highly produced (and free to watch), not sure anyone with a drone would be any competition.

I would think a scenario like 911 is more likely why we have these massive (30 Mile) TFR's - to give enough time to respond to any airborne threat should they need to.

As for tracking drones, tech like the DJI Aeroscope has been used by law enforcement for some time, they can intercept most consumer drone signals and in turn get enough information to find who it was in as few as a couple of seconds.

From the website linked above:

"AeroScope is able to identify the vast majority of popular drones on the market today by monitoring and analyzing their electronic signals to gain critical information, allowing users to protect the integrity of their flight-sensitive environment."

From the website linked above:

"AeroScope is able to identify the vast majority of popular drones on the market today by monitoring and analyzing their electronic signals to gain critical information, allowing users to protect the integrity of their flight-sensitive environment."
Yeah but DJI IS the vast majority of popular drones :p

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot

IMO, I bet safety in reality is second on the list, it is television rights they are afraid of. I am half way serious, if you looked at who lobbied the FAA for "sporting events" TFR's... You don't want some fly by night drone dude streaming live the broadcast rights the big boys paid for ;-)

IMO, I bet safety in reality is second on the list, it is television rights they are afraid of. I am half way serious, if you looked at who lobbied the FAA for "sporting events" TFR's... You don't want some fly by night drone dude streaming live the broadcast rights the big boys paid for ;-)
It's a valid point, but then you gotta think that they (CBS) freely broadcast their signal of the game OTA as well...kinda tit for tat ;)

Two drone operators were arrested after the game (next day) for flying inside TFR.
And another 70 to go according to the sheriff. :oops: ?️‍♂️ Talk about the FAA hitting us with RID, with that data and in just one day, this hobby is going down hill fast due to the actions of the few, though I hardly call "over 70 TFR infractions" a few.

Last edited:
I am still learning to fly. I knew there was FTR for Super Bowl. Is there anyone can help me to understand here:
1. The Super Bowl stadium is close to Temper airport, it is under the airport restriction area, why FAA need to issue a separate FTR?
2. I searched FTR applied to Florida on FAA site on 2/12/2021, I was not able to find the FTR applied to Temper. See below screenshot. What did I miss?
View attachment 123783
Thanks!
To try stop foolish dangerous drone use and protect the public of course.

If that were the only worry, there would be no need for a TFR. Overflying people is already illegal, and flying 30 feet above the field would most certainly be noticed. Additionally, the NFL has enough legal muscle to pursue copyright violations through the courts, and can subpoena financial records to follow the money, find the perpetrators and make them wish they'd never considered such an action.

I believe the major concern is terrorism in any of its varied forms. A large crowd in front of a large TV audience is a perverse motivator for some who would like to demonstrate their capacity to do harm. The TFR gives a chance for aircraft (manned or not) to be intercepted and brought down before they have a chance to do harm in front of an audience.

You may not have found anything on “FTR” because it is “TFR” you should have been looking for.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy