DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another poor mavic shoot?

yea, im on to that one..

whats the best method for reducing sharpness in post?
i have this plugin for reducing noise:
Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video

Neat is great for all of that in my opinion. Using the smooth edge function helps with over sharpened images and also moire patterns that result from patterned things. Its my go to. Another thing you could do but not quite as good is adding .25 px blur in your finishing software of choice. Heres a quick video i did, shot on the Mavic. Processed through Neat Video running within After Effects with some color grading. It was shot in DLOG w 500 ISO

Reactions: jimnz
Thread is confusing - started out about problems with RAW then became about Video.
For stills you don't really want to be deliberately slowing shutter so NDs are unlikely to help much.
If shooting in D-Log strange things happen to RAW due to a known bug.
Firstly it underexposes and y quite a lot, secondly some sort of processing is applied so not a proper RAW anymore - quite odd really.
In Cinelike it should be OK though.

Most mavics start to blur or go 'watercolour effect' round the edges as light gets lower - it's important to avoid underexposing. Often the centre looks OK but one side is usually worse than the other. Tapping focus somewhat to that side might help.
But mainly the key thing to avoid is underexposing as light starts to fail and you still have ND on.

If shooting LOG properly, the exposure should be +2 EV over to properly expose dark areas with enough range to hit the highs, and thats still within range of the highs not clipping. On my Phantom 4 Pro, it automatically snaps the ISO to 500 when shooting LOG for this very reason. Mavic doesn't seem to do this automatically that I can recall. Tho that only applies to video and shooting in RAW photo would override a DLOG color space.

great tip.= Dlog / EV+2
is this only if at iso500 or if 100 as well.

I was just looking over yesterdays footage and its a bit dark at ev0 / iso 100
see if i can fix in premiere

what im finding is its hard to gauge the right exposure on the mobile taking into consideration
-scene brightness/kelvin
-what filters on,
-which mode and style and iso

seems im getting home and the footage / images are too dark or too light.
theres always room to move in post but the better the in-camera image is the better to start with

great tip.= Dlog / EV+2
is this only if at iso500 or if 100 as well.

I was just looking over yesterdays footage and its a bit dark at ev0 / iso 100
see if i can fix in premiere

As long as its metering correctly where you want it, the ISO shouldn't matter. I think the P4P locks it to gain up the sensor in LOG to assist and compensate but I'm still not entirely sure completely why it does it. I was kind of bummed initially because obviously that introduces more noise than at say 100. Mavic its a nonissue tho. Sometimes I put a hefty ND filter on too so I can leave the shutter a little slower and get a hair of motion blur. just smooths out some of the flicker. Between that and manually setting the white balance (so it doesn't step thru adjustments adding more nonsense to deal with), you can get some pretty good footage off the little guy.

what im finding is its hard to gauge the right exposure on the mobile taking into consideration
-scene brightness/kelvin
-what filters on,
-which mode and style and iso

seems im getting home and the footage / images are too dark or too light.
theres always room to move in post but the better the in-camera image is the better to start with
This what the histogram is for, or just use the Auto and set it about +0.3
You will have far less disappointments using Auto and the mavic changes quite smoothly.
Unless recording a fairly static scene doing exposure manually is jut not worth it and you should be concentrating on smooth and thought through movements.
It's a bit too keen to bump up ISO though.

I have the exact same issue with the blurry edges. It's very frustrating because I know there are Mavics out there that doesn't have this issue.
Have a look at this image (uploaded). It's taken with the latest v01.03.1000 firmware which said image quality would be improved. If you look in the lower left corner you'll see the blurry bit. It seems to get worse the further away the object is. Close ups feels pretty sharp.
I really have no idea if I should send the drone back, I've read so many horror stories about people who've gotten drones back in worse condition. What do you guys say? Worth sending it back?
DJI_0242.JPG

same story, same boat.
Glad to see the platinum doesnt have a camera upgrade - id be pissed.
Epic fail on dji's part not doing it tho..
its a flying camera, and they upgrade the props and change the colour? baha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose