DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another poor mavic shoot?

jimnz

Reactions
Im getting really bad images and not sure whats up.

Im shooting raw and adjusting ev slightly to get what looks good.
auto camera settings.
style - standard
color - d-cinelike
auto WB / iso

the 2x images are raw converted to jpg to upload, - no editing

donut-2 (1/1050, F2.2, iso 100)
looks washed out like a white Photoshop layer and poor contrast / detail
Donut-18 ( 1/800, F2.2 iso 100)
again washed out, really poor detail (trees/houses) also half the images had these horizontal lines

mavic
app version 4.1.2
mavic/controller version 1.03.0550

also, i like to push the current limit of 120m, will updating firmware limit this?

thanks

Donut-2.jpg Donut-18.jpg

You'd expect a RAW file to lack contrast, saturation and punch - thats the whole point of them. You have to apply all that manually during post. Cinelike has no effect on a RAW file (or any other colour profile except a bug with d-log). Raw means raw. No processing is done onboard.

The horizontal lines aren't normal and shouldn't be there. Try a newer firmware to see if it goes away?

thanks for the reply,
i shoot raw in my dslr so i understand post work, its not so much the low contrast and saturation rather the lack of clarity. if i zoom in on an area its poor like the iso is 5000, but its 100 , good light. and the lines are shite.
zoom.jpg

Stating the obvious but you were tapping and focusing before taking each shot?
Ive found my mavic is very soft on the image edges, particularly the left. Its kind of expected from the low quality camera but ive learned to work around it by making sure i dont need anything on the extreme edges and can crop. Ive found central frame images to be sharp provided ive pre focussed on the area.
The lines aren't right for sure and do hint at some sort of sensor fault.

Hi. Yup I always left c1 focus then top right shutter b4 a shot. I've noticed the sides out of focus but no t the whole image. Also the general quality.
I guess I try the update, reset the camera then send in to dji?

The horizontal lines aren't normal and shouldn't be there.
The horizontal lines are shadows from the props because in this particular shot the Mavic is pointing toward the sun, causing lens flare.

Last edited:
Reactions: topdetop
look to get nd filters, they help my shots out alot. the ones i use are polarpro nd filters the vivid collection def worth the money

i thought they may be prop lines but as i hadnt had them before and mavics dont really show them like phantoms i guessed not. solves that one.

yea sorry to say those are poorly rated. heres the link to the ones i have(Amazon.com : Polar Pro Filters DJI Mavic Filters-Cinema Series-Vivid Collection : Camera & Photo) i absolutely love them they make everything look so amazing. Here is just a test i did with them i used the nd16 filter if i remember correctly

thats the clarity im after... no drop in focus on the edges too?
im updating now, its a bright day so ill chuck the ND8 on and see if it better (and order some more filters and stop being a cheap arse.)

lol, yea man the extra $30 is worth it. Btw what is your shutter speed when you are capturing because you might be at a high SS causing you problems

1/100 & 1/800.
i realize this is a bit high. its ok on dslr but is this too high for the little mavic?
obviously filters will help this

yea man way too high. you want to stay within 2x the frame rate. so for 30fps you want to be at 60. that will give you a clear shot and keep unwanted flickers out of your footage

i thought they may be prop lines but as i hadnt had them before and mavics dont really show them like phantoms i guessed not. solves that one.

Prop shadows aren't nearly as bad on my Mavic as they were with my P3S because the props are farther out to the sides, away from the lens more, but I do still get them occasionally when the sun is in the right position.

Last edited:
ok,
So i updated, and set out with a ND16 filter - much better results.
sharpness is better although not perfect. perhaps im just used to my dslr and asking too much from the little f2.2 sensor?
images shutter was way down to 1/100 & 1/150

One big issue still is side focus. im getting blurry edges, mostly the right side
note the full image then 2x zoomed areas, 1 center and 1 on right edge

large.jpg close1.jpg close-2.jpg
large2.jpg close-3.jpg close-4.jpg

attached a vid link.
look at the shuddering when panning and buildings at the end..blurry then clear

Note the shuddering when panning again

images are straight from camera (jpeg, as the firmware reset to jpeg, i didnt notice till i got back)

so much better man, i think the rest of the issues you are having are from you camera settings and the vignette is from the nd filters u are using. Upgrade your nd filters and drop the sharpness on the camera also make sure the shutter speed is at 2x your frame rate that is adding to the blur and jitter. otherwise a huge improvement

also use dlog or cinelike D. personally i prefer cinelike d as its easy to process

also use dlog or cinelike D. personally i prefer cinelike d as its easy to process

yea, better right.?
i had cine / 2.7k but dont know what the setting was today as the update may have changed it. ill confirm cinelike, drop sharpness, set raw. PP vivid filters are ordered and on the way.

not sure on the shutter, i checked the still shutter 1st at 1/1000 with no filter, ran the PPro app which says ND16 and the stills were 1/100 so i rec the filter is good, didnt take notice of the vid shutter. should i be able to pan without jitter? forward/ back is fine..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan