DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna mods

View attachment 29689 This is my latest antenna mod it has proved to be the best so far
Combination of panel and yagi at the same time 8 watt amps 16 dbi yagi And 14dbi flat panels
No signals errors at all, 0, at a very long VLOS ;) I have tried many others and none have compared
Powering with my spare protechs one for each amp they will run forever

Wow, what amplifiers are you using and how far have you been able to fly with this set up?

Well I don’t want to bring down the VLOS cops but, I run out of batteries before any signal loss
Amps are available on Fleabay just do a 2.4 ghz amp search (45ea.)panels from Amazon (30ea) Yagis from fleabay (12ea.) I don’t think there is anything that can beat it that I have tried, I use this for flying in the mountains shooting between peaks, it just keeps on sailing and sailing

It’s not something your going to throw in your pocket but when you need something to get you there and back this will do it.

Last edited:
View attachment 29689 This is my latest antenna mod it has proved to be the best so far
Combination of panel and yagi at the same time 8 watt amps 16 dbi yagi And 14dbi flat panels
No signals errors at all, 0, at a very long VLOS ;) I have tried many others and none have compared
hey guys, this is what im talking about for long range antennas

madmax

What kind of range have you tested this with? The HD signal strength is dependent on bird side transmission. How does your controller signal compare to your HD signal with this setup?

Both signals are very strong, if I fly behind a mountain peak the HD with start to drop off before controller

I got my clean install it from Jake and tore into the controller. after watching Jae's video (very help full). got it back together with no extra parts ;).
Did some mod for a bracket. came out pretty good.
20180127_085500[1].jpg 20180127_085507[1].jpg

I'm thinking a out ordering a modded controller from them so that I'll have my current stock one and then a modded one that I can use when I want distance. If I go that route I'll likely get their nano sync antenna as well.

Curious to see how well it cuts through the trees and wifi around my house. I'm getting 2,000 feet at best with the stock controller.
I got the nanosync, kicks Aas but if you point the controller a bitt to the side or a tree comes between the signal is gone. same if the drone is behind you.

can I send a 4W signal through this Coaxial cable ?
View attachment 29849
i would not do that, you need at least rg 58u cable, that real small stuff wont handle the power and if using more than 10 feet of it, the signal los will be terrable, in fact the rg 58 is not realy good for microwave signals , search google and you will find charts for the loss and power handling of different types of coax

mad max

Both signals are very strong, if I fly behind a mountain peak the HD with start to drop off before controller
micro wave signals are subjected to many different types of radio wave propagation .. what you experience when you go behind a mountain or large building is called the knife edge effect ... any signal below the object is blocked off, any thing above it continues, if for some reason your drone would fall below the clear path of the signal, it most likley will be lost ... google micro wave signal propagation or micro wave knife edge effect ... why do you think the u.s govt controls its drones form space ?? ... its because from up there, there very few radio wave dead spots ...

mad max

i would not do that, you need at least rg 58u cable, that real small stuff wont handle the power and if using more than 10 feet of it, the signal los will be terrable, in fact the rg 58 is not realy good for microwave signals , search google and you will find charts for the loss and power handling of different types of coax

mad max
I need 5cm,but thank you.WOW M17/RG178, CN178SC, CN178TC, RG196 A/U can Handle at 3Ghz 40W

Last edited:
Not true. The 1.5W boosted mode is much higher output than the FCC which is .4W. This boosted mode must be used with care as it could overheat your controller. I haven't had any issues, but it's not as hot here in California as other places.

Hi CyberNate,
This is Kevin (jkantiques)...
I just did the mod on the mavic pro controller and boosted
it to 1.5 watts, also changed the parameters on the bird so
i get 42mph in gps mode and 49-50 in sport mode, also
height restriction removed. what my main concern is,
flying the mavic with my 3 watt amp sunhans and using my
polarized circular antennas from (Tony).
Have you flown this with this setup and dose the controller
get warm or hot..... and is it ok too use this mod safely?
your thoughts well appreciated.....Kevin

Hi CyberNate,
This is Kevin (jkantiques)...
I just did the mod on the mavic pro controller and boosted
it to 1.5 watts, also changed the parameters on the bird so
i get 42mph in gps mode and 49-50 in sport mode, also
height restriction removed. what my main concern is,
flying the mavic with my 3 watt amp sunhans and using my
polarized circular antennas from (Tony).
Have you flown this with this setup and dose the controller
get warm or hot..... and is it ok too use this mod safely?
your thoughts well appreciated.....Kevin
Works great for me. I run boost mode with Sunhams amps without issue.

Of course long distance,this is my plan i would use these boosters 4 Watt Wifi drahtlose Breitbandverstärker Router 2,4 GHz Power Range Signal Booster Kostenloser Versand in 4 Watt Wifi drahtlose Breitbandverstärker Router 2,4 GHz Power Range Signal Booster Kostenloser Versand aus Signal-verstärker auf AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group I bought ALIENTECH Antenna booster I was really disappointed. What's interesting he uses the same 4W boosters View attachment 29643 (link). The thermal effect between the aluminum plate and the boosters is very bad,they glue thermal sensors whit silicone simple horror. So I'm going to modify it all give him a little dignity isolate amplifiers from each other put thermal pads between aluminium plate and boosters and use nylon screws and of course use a real thermal pasty XD remove the internal antennas View attachment 29642 ! oh yeah the antennas are the same as Gsky 7dBi Panel View attachment 29641 XD totally ****, make the SMA outputs and connect two yagi antennas Super 7 Element Yagi Antennen Tracker SMA Winkelstecker FPV Video 2,4GHz 25cm Ka | eBay

That amp board you found is the same one as the "dragon" amp that many of us use. It works well, but the 2 chips near the middle of the board get super hot and will burn out if you don't use some sort of heat dissipation in your rig.

I think I have ordered a dozen of these over the last year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B94U438

Nice work and good luck!

Very cool! If anything is worth doing, its worth over doing!!

But you need to explain to me your thought process on cabling both the yagi and panels together. That is a technique I am not familiar with.

Can someone tell me what type of antenna is it ? I've been searching for a long time on the internet and I can not find it I just know it is 2.4-2.5Ghz
looks like patch antenna but the elements are weird!

View attachment 29243
Hey whizz, here are some pictures of a commercial 3 element panel antenna that my company manufactures for a visual reference of an antenna in a similar class:

dronemods-493.png dronemods-492.png dronemods-491.png dronemods-490.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe