DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna mods

That’s awesome! So you essentially made the antenna and amp connection external, and put the whips on when you need them, and then close the loop when you need the panel?

Genius.
Yes Sir. Not "closing loop" by joining cables. Just put them on where the whips came off. Don't know about the other part though.
:)

Here is the completed mod. Sweet. One power unit two different types of antennas.

Parts:
Edit: found pigtails at Amazon for $6 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Right-90-Deg...5058&sr=8-7&keywords=Sma+pigtails+right+angle

Don't know quality factor but I ordered two to check them out.

2 90degree RA sma reverse polarity connectors
1ft lms 100 low loss microwave cable
2 sma reverse polarity bulkhead BH
Two sided tape

Tools:
T10 torx driver
Spudger
Scissors
1/4 inch plastic drill bit or modify twist bit via YouTube video to drill two front plate holes.
1/8 carbide bit to mill slot for circular antennas wires to go external.
Solder station if assembling cables yourself.

Disassemble front plate with the 4 T10 screws. Remove front plate with spudger as it is secured with light two sided tape.

Use spudger to pry both amps loose from two sided tape.

Remove the circular antennas leads from amps.

Revision: it is not necessary to remove panels.
Remove circular antennas from front face with spudger. Note orientation for reassembly.

Scribe inside of front plate at vertical center.

Scribe inside top of front plate horizontally at 1/2 inch from edge.

Remove t connector bracket from rc and separate the plate from plastic block via 2 Phillips head screws.

Mark center line on metal bracket.

Use bracket centered on inside of front plate to scribe the two hole locations centered over horizontal scribe line on inside of front plate.

I can not stress this enough. Your holes need to be exact for the antenna spacer to fit correctly. Take your time and go very slow drill rpm. If you choose to modify a bit and you are not educated in drill bits, use the 1/4 inch plastic bit. Use twist bit at your own risk. I used a modified twist bit from the inside 50 percent and then finished the hole from the front of plate. Worked well.

Next, you will need to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the top of the antenna body. You will see it is constructed of 1/4 inch thick rings. Drill the ring closest to front face centered on ring.

Next, use the carbide bit to open the hole into a u slot towards the front face side.

At this point, assemble cables or purchase cables already assembled. Showmecables.com

Install sma bulkheads into front plate and tighten.

Install the 90 degree end to the amps.

Revision: I went ahead and replaced two sided tape.
Revision: I found a better route for the cables. Just form a drop loop in the cable on the same side of battery as you are connecting to the front panel.

Push amps down firmly to reset two sided tape.
Route wires for clearance. I chose to have the left amp connect to the right bulkhead and ran cables across inside top of controller.

Reinstall circular polarized antennas on inside of front plate.

Route circular antennas connector to outside of antenna box via slot.

Reinstall front plate.

Install two small vecro tabs to secure inner antenna connectors while using whips.

Wipe massive amount of fingerprints from unit and GO FLY!
IMG_20170921_151832.jpg IMG_20170921_140715.jpg IMG_20170921_140615.jpg IMG_20170924_122747.jpg IMG_20170924_122812.jpg IMG_20170921_140159.jpg

Cyclone 250
Titan whips with quick coonect adapters 40
(adapters are not needed) you could take the whips from an old wireless router as long as 2.4ghz
Two custom cables parts 62
$352.00 total

That is taking in the fact that I have every tool needed to do mod.

The reason the external connections are screw on is I did not want to damage internal antenna wiring if the quick connectors were hard to pull off, as they can be.

Mavic 18650 battery pack mod next. Stay tuned...
You can decrease cost with pigtails from Amazon. $6 each.

https://www.amazon.com/Right-90-Deg...5058&sr=8-7&keywords=Sma+pigtails+right+angle

INFO: INSTALL OF MOD FOR MAVIC - RC BREAKDOWN

I followed this to the T and ran into no issues until after I got a ERR Control stick or something when I turned the remote back on. To fix this all you need to do is a remote control calibration with the drone turned off inside the DJI Go app and it removes that error.

Hey @mph300 is it possible to to have the patch and the mounts for the whips hooked up at the same time? Or does that lessen the point?
Im finding more and more for the areas I fly, the amplified whips work the best. I'm in MO, in the hills, with lots of trees and moderate wifi interference. Answer, there's only two antenna provisions on rc so I would say no. However, that is best logical thought process, not knowledge.

Im finding more and more for the areas I fly, the amplified whips work the best. I'm in MO, in the hills, with lots of trees and moderate wifi interference. Answer, there's only two antenna provisions on rc so I would say no. However, that is best logical thought process, not knowledge.

Hey @mph300 want to trade a switch cover made by me, for the cables you used to add the whips to the front of yours?

Hey @mph300 want to trade a switch cover made by me, for the cables you used to add the whips to the front of yours?
You can get the assembled cables from Amazon. They are about 6 bucks each. I'll know more about quality of these on Tuesday when two arrive.

As for your plate, post a pic.

You can get the assembled cables from Amazon. They are about 6 bucks each. I'll know more about quality of these on Tuesday when two arrive.

As for your plate, post a pic.

1202bb1f841bfe92f66b1d16a784c1f9.jpg
b79610830ad8b077c041b6564ca965ec.jpg

Reactions: cderoche
Great product. For sale? I have a packing procedure in my case where the t lock of Cyclone rides in the Mavics battery bay and does not present a way to turn on switch. Would be nice to have guarantee too.

I figure it’s a guaranteed way to ensure your amps are sitting there on without you knowing.

The issue is that this rocker turns on super easy.

Reactions: cderoche
Make a batch of them for the Crutchfield brothers so when I order mine it will have that on it already ThumbswayupThumbswayup;)ThumbswayupThumbswayup
Nice work man!

Thanks man! I’m like three weeks into CAD designing. I’ve made a few little things. This was my most “accurate” thing. Meaning it has to be right.

I have a new version that has cutouts on the sides.

@scottebay set the rate at $10 for two shipped in the USA.

I’m sending two Incase you break one. I hate that. But these are built out of a Carbon Fiber infused HTPLA, and is super durable.

Thanks man! I’m like three weeks into CAD designing. I’ve made a few little things. This was my most “accurate” thing. Meaning it has to be right.

I have a new version that has cutouts on the sides.

@scottebay set the rate at $10 for two shipped in the USA.

I’m sending two Incase you break one. I hate that. But these are built out of a Carbon Fiber infused HTPLA, and is super durable.

I'll buy one from you when I get my Atlas.

Reactions: TheLightSpeed!
this is all ready to plug into my titan tactical tomorrow once i pick up my crystalsky. results will be interesting

Attachments

• 20170925_172311.jpg
    20170925_172311.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 119
  • 20170925_172326.jpg
    20170925_172326.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 119
  • 20170925_172517.jpg
    20170925_172517.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 115

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads