DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna mods

Let me know! I have a new better design!
00937edd16e55c970ccec3e06a78f4d7.jpg

On the left twice.

Wow I need to hurry and get that Atlas, already on version 2.0 on the switch guard!

Reactions: TheLightSpeed!
Has anyone tried a Yagi antenna?
It would be a little long for portability and the directionality would likely be a detriment to actual operation.

Reactions: MrsTreat
My stocks set up works much better than this in the city but in the country it's amazing too much interference in the city for this setup
Noob here, I live near a fair amount of trees. Is it possible to get better gain without modifying the rc and what would you recommend if so? Thanks!

Short answer - nope. Don't be suckered into the little doo-hickies that slip over the antennas and looks like a reflector.
3 ways to get better signal
1 - longer antennas
2 - more efficient antennas (usually more directional)
3 - 1 or 2 + amplification.

Reactions: v8_vega
Noob here, I live near a fair amount of trees. Is it possible to get better gain without modifying the rc and what would you recommend if so? Thanks!

If you do some searching on Youtube you can find a tutorial on how to configure DJI Go to force 1.5W boosted output on the stock controller. I just flew over 51,000ft out today with stock controller and this boosted mode in a Suburban area. I also have a boosted controller, but it is nice having a stock setup that has enough power to get out far.

If you do some searching on Youtube you can find a tutorial on how to configure DJI Go to force 1.5W boosted output on the stock controller. I just flew over 51,000ft out today with stock controller and this boosted mode in a Suburban area. I also have a boosted controller, but it is nice having a stock setup that has enough power to get out far.
That's only for the EU that restricts power output. The poster is US so not applicable.

That's only for the EU that restricts power output. The poster is US so not applicable.

Not true. The 1.5W boosted mode is much higher output than the FCC which is .4W. This boosted mode must be used with care as it could overheat your controller. I haven't had any issues, but it's not as hot here in California as other places.

Not true. The 1.5W boosted mode is much higher output than the FCC which is .4W. This boosted mode must be used with care as it could overheat your controller. I haven't had any issues, but it's not as hot here in California as other places.
Actually the US is right around 1 watt - countries with the EC standard are limited to 100 mw by detecting GPS location.
The difference between 1 and 1.5 watt is insignificant since signal strength varies by the square. So to get twice as much "signal" you need to quadruple power. 1.5W is only a 50% change = less than a db improvement.

According to DJI's specifications:
Transmitter Power (EIRP) FCC:≤26 dBm CE:≤20 dBm

Note power is halved with each 3db - so in CE countries the power is cut by 1/4 = 100 mw

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsTreat
Actually the US is right around 1 watt - countries with the EC standard are limited to 100 mw by detecting GPS location.
The difference between 1 and 1.5 watt is insignificant since signal strength varies by the square. So to get twice as much "signal" you need to quadruple power. 1.5W is only a 50% change = less than a db improvement.

I'm talking about actual measure output off the Mavic Controller. Mavic doesn't put out 1 watt. There's a whole website on this with many radio configuration options. It's not theory, but real world verification.

Edit: I should add, this mod is NOT as good as my full boosted system with RexUAV antenna, but it's somewhere in the middle between stock and my setup. I see a huge difference between stock and modified stock where I fly.

I'm talking about actual measure output off the Mavic Controller. Mavic doesn't put out 1 watt. There's a whole website on this with many radio configuration options. It's not theory, but real world verification.

Edit: I should add, this mod is NOT as good as my full boosted system with RexUAV antenna, but it's somewhere in the middle between stock and my setup. I see a huge difference between stock and modified stock where I fly.
Sure - provide references and I'll check it out. I would add that the FCC filing has the actual power on each band - aside from a small dip in one band they are all specified at 950+ mw. Measuring field strength isn't measuring power - just the efficiency with which it's converted to EM waves. We already know those stubby lil antennas aren't the greatest - but it doesn't alter the fact the transmitter delivers 1 watt. 1.5 w is literally insignificant power increase.
FCC ID SS3-M1S1607 Mavic by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Sure - provide references and I'll check it out. I would add that the FCC filing has the actual power on each band - aside from a small dip in one band they are all specified at 950+ mw. Measuring field strength isn't measuring power - just the efficiency with which it's converted to EM waves. We already know those stubby lil antennas aren't the greatest - but it doesn't alter the fact the transmitter delivers 1 watt. 1.5 w is literally insignificant power increase.
FCC ID SS3-M1S1607 Mavic by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

The Mavic specifications are 20dBm plus 6db antenna for 26dBm. The actual measurement I saw in the facebook group was actually 42mW taken with an RP-SMA connector replacing the 6dB antenna and connected directly to a meter. The output with boost mode enabled in DJI Go 4 was 152 or 157mW (can't remember). Technically that's not 1.5W, but .15W. The point is that the boost mode increases output. In comparison, my sunhams "3W" boosters put out 172mW as measured by Jake at MaxxUAV. Perhaps the output power is dynamic and these tests are not done right, but if you simply try it yourself, you can see the difference flying over same terrain. I can fly right over the new Apple campus 2 miles away with boost mode enabled, where with stock I lose connection before I even get there. Lots of wifi interference in that area.

I'm no expert in antenna's, just letting you know about the option to enable this "boost" mode in DJI Go with a configuration file adjustment.

Sorry but there's no way 42 mw is going out as far as it does.
Someone measured incorrectly or there was a feed mismatch with the modded cables.
I keep saying that there are matching factors at play that it would be nice to have tech details on.
Microwaves are sensitive to impedance mismatch. Just plugging into a meter isn't useful information without knowing how it was loaded.
I still think the "boost" mode is for the CE (EU) folks to get teh same power as US users. I may be wrong but I believe that was what I saw when I looked way back.
I'll see if I can revisit and look closer.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne