DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anti crash sensors? what a joke

This forum is no different than many others I've been a part of. Anyone do anything that might be frowned upon, despite being a new person to that hobby, you get attacked. Lots of keyboard warriors online let me tell you.....

There are more constructive ways to tell someone they're making a mistake than to call them names or call them out like Turok did. Take a chill pill dude. Everyone has a learning curve.
Most aren't being critical of his mistake. It's the typical "Not my fault, I was deceived" attitude his post contained that rubs some wrong.

Stop shouting FFS ;).

In future please turn off your caps lock off, if you can't then please buy another keyboard thanks.
OK 'OVERLORD' ANYTHING YOU SAY MASTER.

Most aren't being critical of his mistake. It's the typical "Not my fault, I was deceived" attitude his post contained that rubs some wrong.
On the button.

OK guy's how bout you toning this down a few notch's .
Please stay civil and on topic .
Thanks

Reactions: Blades and cderoche
Using Litchi Way point mode is another one to be careful with. Since you can program it on your desktop long from the location based on a satellite image and then GPS once you're they're on site. Key thing to learn if the **** is about to hit the fan is use that pause button on the remote or like some suggested in other threads switch to sport mode, it will cancel whatever program you're running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for your loss.

Mavic is a pretty sophisticated piece of hardware and requires a certain level of understanding of how each of its systems work to ensure successful flights.

A person who has little idea of how dji drones work can likely fly in a large open space without incident.

When you begin to factor in obstacles and intelligent flight modes, flying without crashing becomes much more difficult, especially if one lacks the proper understanding of each of the systems.

A quick look at the gimbal would show you it can't look sideways.
Actually it can to a limited degree - do a gimbal calibration - not the startup extent check - and you can see it can rotate somewhere near 20-30 degrees.
I'm not sure it *is* clear in the manual the bird rotates on POI focus. Pretty sure I observed this by experimenting in a safe location first.
It is a hint that nowhere is any description made of gimbal rotation - just tilt.
The only thing I could find as far as operation was in spotlight mode:
Aircraft will not trace a subject automatically, but keeps the camera pointed at the subject during flight. The remote controller can be used to maneuver the aircraft, but yaw is disabled.

No offense taken. I was sold on the marketing videos. I didn't read the manual or do any research aside from debating on which drone to buy for the advertised features such as anti crash sensors.
yeah they are definitely all marketing hype. Here was my crash, straight on.

yeah they are definitely all marketing hype. Here was my crash, straight on.

I guess you didn't bother reading the manual. Especially the part where it warns that small branches are likely to not be seen by the cameras.

The sensors are great, they're a tool. They also have documented limitations. You still need to engage brain when operating.

Yet another 100% user error crash from someone that doesn't understand how the craft works.

Reactions: Rbruz and Lailert
So I crashed. I used the point of interest option and didn't account for the height of a tree behind the building which was my subject. I assumed from the marketing about the Mavic Pro that the sensors would stop the drone from crashing into objects. Well, it didn't and it crashed. I'm now having to deal with a broken vibration board. I hope that's the only thing wrong but so far that's all I noticed. Fair warning to everyone. Don't believe the hype. Be careful and account for everything prior to trusting the automatic features.

Hi turboships sorry to hear about your crash. Indeed it pays off to read the user manual in details as suggested by the many experts on the forum :)

But I have to say that these sensor have definitely benefitted me especially when flying in confined spaces and I am so grateful for this, if not I would have already crashed a few times by now haha.

Hope you sort it out soon. Cheers

Hopefully there are more lessons like these where no one is hurt. ( pride can be extinguished with a little alcohol)

I did the same thing early on - started up a POI without checking behind me, then froze up in horror as I turned around and saw my nice new Mavic heading straight for a tree. In my case, I lucked out and my drone was circling at a large enough radius that it missed the tree. So, NOW I always check all around before starting a POI.

That's why real pilots use checklists for every phase of flight. We could learn a lot from them.

I wrote up a checklist, but it doesn't seem to help that much. Oh, you mean I have to follow it?

I don't remember seeing anywhere the promotions for "anti-crash sensors". They are called Obstacle Avoidance. Implying that they might help you avoid an obstacle if used correctly. I don't think DJI is guilty of false advertising at all. They HAVE saved my butt once.

In what marketing video does POI fly forward and turn the camera to the POI? Every one I've ever seen it flies like is described in the manual: in a circle around, while facing the point.

Now a P4P has the fancy sensors all around and can more protect itself in sideways flight.
Yup I Have the P4P V2. That has "the fancy sensors" mine did a perfect loop yesterday after I checked it cleared all trees. On the second loop it plummeted into one! It now sits at the top of a 30m high tree dangling from a branch lol

In what marketing video does POI fly forward and turn the camera to the POI? Every one I've ever seen it flies like is described in the manual: in a circle around, while facing the point.

Now a P4P has the fancy sensors all around and can more protect itself in sideways flight.
Yup I Have the P4P V2. That has "the fancy sensors" mine did a perfect loop yesterday after I checked it cleared all trees. On the second loop it plummeted into one! It now sits at the top of a 30m high tree dangling from a branch lol

I'm betting Mavic Pro 2 will have all around OA sensors... And a $1500 price tag :eek:
The all round sensors still won't save you from this crash, I buried my P4P V2 yesterday after a checked clear loop, on the 2nd pass it must have lost some altitutude. The sensors gave me about 0.1 of a second warning and didn't stop the drone :(

Ummm no. The side sensors are IR and pretty much useless unless in tripod mode in narrow spaces.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair