DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Anticrepuscular Rays

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I shot a few 360 panoramas about three weeks ago and just noticed something interesting in one. I've known about crespuscular rays for years. They occur when clouds or mountains block part of the light from a sunset or sunrise. What I hadn't known is that there are anticrepuscular rays that appear in the east during a sunset or in the west during a sunrise. I'm still trying to get the geometry squared away in my head, but they're part of the same pattern that appears in the west during a sunset - linear rays projected on to the semi-spherical sky.

Someone told me years ago that when you're photographing an interesting scene, you should always look behind you. Sometimes you'll see something even more interesting. That's been true quite a few times.

Mini 3 Pro, no post processing other than cropping, using the snapshot feature of Pangazer.

DJI_0033_view.anticrepuscular.jpg

Someone told me years ago that when you're photographing an interesting scene, you should always look behind you. Sometimes you'll see something even more interesting.

So true.

Years ago I was taking pictures of a sunrise before it started to rain and I turned around to see a rainbow in the west which I've never seen before.

1661805244393.png

I shot a few 360 panoramas about three weeks ago and just noticed something interesting in one. I've known about crespuscular rays for years. They occur when clouds or mountains block part of the light from a sunset or sunrise. What I hadn't known is that there are anticrepuscular rays that appear in the east during a sunset or in the west during a sunrise. I'm still trying to get the geometry squared away in my head, but they're part of the same pattern that appears in the west during a sunset - linear rays projected on to the semi-spherical sky.

Someone told me years ago that when you're photographing an interesting scene, you should always look behind you. Sometimes you'll see something even more interesting. That's been true quite a few times.

Mini 3 Pro, no post processing other than cropping, using the snapshot feature of Pangazer.

View attachment 154042
East or West, same thing. You can get them with a bright moon rising or setting with the right exposure.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna