DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any advice for a beginner in Uk london

Rahif

Reactions
Hellow I have my mavric 2 yesterday .
Looking forward to learn how to use it and start working on it .
Any advice ??
Should I have a driving course or just try to learn it by myself ?
Any licence I should have ?

Any advice ??
Here are some tips to help you get started:

Here’s was my process as a beginner, now having my M2P for about 30 days. Before I flew for the first time...

1) Read the manual 2x. Return to it as necessary.

2) Viewed crash reports on the forum. Resulted in reading the manual again (-: And...

3) Went through numerous beginner drone YouTube videos.

4) In my home powered on my M2P {No props on} controller, and attached my iPhone. Studied repeatedly each of the various controller icons, what they do and how to quickly access them. Turned to YouTube videos specifically on: Gimbal settings, Camera/Video, Quick shot modes, Waypoints, etc.

5) This was key for me, and still is now that I have more experience... Generate a flight plan as to what you what to accomplish on your day of flying. I print it out & take it with me.

Have fun!

Reactions: Rahif
I would suggest getting the UAV Forecast app, it will show you all the no fly zones around London, also let's you see how windy it is.

Have a quick read of the CAA Drone Code. At the moment at least there really isn’t very much to remember.

Of course living in London you may struggle to abide by all of it to the letter so always obey rule 1 - Don’t be a knob.

Have fun, be sensible and you’ll be reyt :)

I would suggest getting the UAV Forecast app, it will show you all the no fly zones around London, also let's you see how windy it is.
The NATS Drone Assist app is the UK drone app that has the backing of the National Air Traffic Control here in the UK and should have up to date no fly zones.
UAV Forecast can give some other useful info but some of it is only a forecast and may not reflect real time local weather which is always the final decider in the fly/no fly question.

It wont show most of them correctly. He needs to use DroneAssist

It's your money but as for me I'd start flying with something inexpensive. My recommendation for an inexpensive, fun to fly and nearly indestructible drone is the Holystone HS160. Get some experience flying something like it (no gps so you're fully controlling the drone) and learn the ins and outs of flying before risking your relatively expensive Mavic 2. If you crash the Holystone (like I did 50 times and it kept flying) you're not risking a $1000 drone which I can assure you will not survive unscathed if you crash it 5 times.

Hellow I have my mavric 2 yesterday .
Any advice ??
Should I have a driving course or just try to learn it by myself ?
Any licence I should have ?

Just remember depending on where in London you are there are LOTs of no-fly zones. You need to use the official NATs Drone Assist app to see where is legal.
On top of that, remember the 50m from people/objects and 150m (and not overhead) crowds and built up areas.

Just remember depending on where in London you are there are LOTs of no-fly zones. You need to use the official NATs Drone Assist app to see where is legal.
On top of that, remember the 50m from people/objects and 150m (and not overhead) crowds and built up areas.
Thank you so much

Thank you .
It's your money but as for me I'd start flying with something inexpensive. My recommendation for an inexpensive, fun to fly and nearly indestructible drone is the Holystone HS160. Get some experience flying something like it (no gps so you're fully controlling the drone) and learn the ins and outs of flying before risking your relatively expensive Mavic 2. If you crash the Holystone (like I did 50 times and it kept flying) you're not risking a $1000 drone which I can assure you will not survive unscathed if you crash it 5 times.
Your 100% rite I already bought 100£ drone and been learning on it for few monthes . But the hard thing is to find a place with the mavric . And it’s way more complicated.
Thnx

Congrats on your new unit.

Advice from a guy with only about 40 flights on my Mavic Pro, including and one pretty heavy crash--

1) Take your time. Impatience will cause you problems (maxim stolen from this website)

2) Find "Beginner Mode" on the DJI 4 app which you'll need, and turn that on for your first few flights.

3) Find a wide open flat space with no trees or structures nearby on your first few flights.

4) If you get in a pinch while flying, simply take both hands off the joy sticks and it'll stop and hover until you think your way through the situation. Go real easy on the joy sticks- small and smooth movements on the sticks.

5) At first, land with more than 5 or 6 mins remaining on your batteries. It'll freak you out as a newbie when you get a low battery warning and it zooms to 100 feet in the air for a return to home when you're a newb.

6) Have a checklist. Remember to remove 2 (two) gimbal locks before you fly.

7) Stick close to this site as there are a lot of experts here (I'm not one of them). YouTube is also a treasure trove for new drone owners.

Have fun!

Reactions: Thomas B
Than
Congrats on your new unit.

Advice from a guy with only about 40 flights on my Mavic Pro, including and one pretty heavy crash--

1) Take your time. Impatience will cause you problems (maxim stolen from this website)

2) Find "Beginner Mode" on the DJI 4 app which you'll need, and turn that on for your first few flights.

3) Find a wide open flat space with no trees or structures nearby on your first few flights.

4) If you get in a pinch while flying, simply take both hands off the joy sticks and it'll stop and hover until you think your way through the situation. Go real easy on the joy sticks- small and smooth movements on the sticks.

5) At first, land with more than 5 or 6 mins remaining on your batteries. It'll freak you out as a newbie when you get a low battery warning and it zooms to 100 feet in the air for a return to home when you're a newb.

6) Have a checklist. Remember to remove 2 (two) gimbal locks before you fly.

7) Stick close to this site as there are a lot of experts here (I'm not one of them). YouTube is also a treasure trove for new drone owners.

Have fun!
Thank you that’s useful

I live just outside London and as far as I understand unless you are PcFO
you can virtually forget flying there.
There is an Area in Richmond Park, but apart from that it’s almost a blanket ban.

Most of Wales is National Trust <spit>...He still cant fly...

Or can he ?. We’ll not open that can of worms again.

London is a bit problematic when it comes to NFZ’s but be sensible and don’t draw attention to yourself and you’ll be reyt.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78