DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any chance to implement cruise control?

Fanti

Reactions
I have come to truly love cruise control on the DJI FPV drone. I always wondered why all the other DJI drones do not have it. It would be perfect for many of those, especially on long flights.

Is there any way on earth to implement that somehow ?

Last edited:
I have to truly love cruise control on the DJI FPV drone. I always wondered why all the other DJI drones do not have it. It would be perfect for many of those, especially on long flights.

What do you mean by "cruise control"? I don't have FPV but drawing on experience driving cars, I assume it means forward motion continues at the set forward speed without forward input and you can focus on "steering"? I don't know of any way to implement that on normal drones and have never heard of it but I must agree, it would be convenient.

What do you mean by "cruise control"? I don't have FPV but drawing on experience driving cars, I assume it means forward motion continues at the set forward speed without forward input and you can focus on "steering"? I don't know of any way to implement that on normal drones and have never heard of it but I must agree, it would be convenient.
Yes, correct. You press a button at a certain speed, and it continues to cruise at that speed without any stick input. It is soooo convenient.

I have come to truly love cruise control on the DJI FPV drone. I always wondered why all the other DJI drones do not have it. It would be perfect for many of those, especially on long flights.

We would love to see cruise control and I think we will see it on the M3 but there is a good chance it will be on the new Mini 3 and Inspire 3 down the road.

With that in mind < i have an idea that may work as a work around until than.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water, Light up the sky.
2021-12-03_15h03_03.png

Reactions: smfry60
We would love to see cruise control and I think we will see it on the M3 but there is a good chance it will be on the new Mini 3 and Inspire 3 down the road.

With that in mind < i have an idea that may work as a work around until than.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water, Light up the sky.
View attachment 140198
I haven't heard anything about an Inspire 3 in a long time so just figured that died along with hopes for a Phantom 5.

I haven't heard anything about an Inspire 3 in a long time so just figured that died along with hopes for a Phantom 5.
Just saw it on my news feed today. Mini 3 and inspire 3 release , if it does happen , the M3 will make more sense to me as to why it is what it is.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain.

Reactions: BSauce955
Sounds a little dangerous at first but as long as OA is on and working it could be a really cool feature. As @Phantomrain.org said, you could then just concentrate on steering the drone without worrying at all about forward speed.

Reactions: BSauce955
Inspire 3 is in the rumored/leaked DJI roadmap for September 2022. Mini 3 for April 2022.

Inspire 3 is in the rumored/leaked DJI roadmap for September 2022. Mini 3 for April 2022.
September 2022 is a LONGGGG way away... the price point will probably be too.

With Litchi, you can set a distant waypoint and set the speed to travel towards it, thereby giving you the exact sensation your want - assuming you want to go straight. You can also set the camera direction as straight ahead, or always facing a point of interest.

Reactions: Point Zero
It seems that this feature, while quite useful, creates a dangerous additional problem. Setting it and forgetting to watch for flying beyond the safe battery return distance is a prescription for loosing your drone when there is not enough battery to return to the home point.

It seems that this feature, while quite useful, creates a dangerous additional problem. Setting it and forgetting to watch for flying beyond the safe battery return distance is a prescription for loosing your drone when there is not enough battery to return to the home point.
That's a good point, though I am pretty sure if ever implemented that RTH would cancel cruise control once enough battery power has been used.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It doesn't initiate RTH now if you are beyond the return distance, at least on my drones. You have to watch the green line in the display, which dos not account for any wind effects.

You had that on the Mavic 2 Go4 hyperlapse, you could just press the buttons on the underside of the smart controller and the M2 would continue at predefined speed (max 10 km pr hour though). This is sadly not possible with the Mavic 3/SC Pro combo hyperlapse, so far.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne