DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any disadvantages from buying refurbished from DJI?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I really like my Mavic Mini. But as I look at the forecast for today, it's a beautiful day but moderately windy with gusts up to 20mph. Since owning my Mini I've had too many beautiful days when I would have liked to have been flying, but the Mini would have struggled and I didn't want it in the lake or in a tree or someone's back yard. There are some spots in the city I want to video, but I don't dare as the wind can be snarly in between buildings and then there is possible signal interference.

I'm getting the itch to move up and the most logical choice at the moment is the M2P. There is a $300 savings if I buy refurbished and brings the price a bit closer to the M2A.

What, if any, are the disadvantages of purchasing a refurbished M2Pro vs a new never-been-flow one?

I would go with the MA2, especially if you aren't going to use the Hassy lens for photography.

Maybe the M2Z. I was going to go with the M2Z until I saw 4k60 on the MA2.

...but... I probably would switch mine for a refurbished M2P (given the chance) because I DO want the 1" sensor for photography. I could live with the 4k30 I think. Although that 4k60 looks reeeeeally good.

As far as DJI refurb goes. It's like any other refurb. They do a solid once over, swap what needs fixing and sell it used. I bought a refurb HP Spectre from B&H and couldn't be happier. I consider refurbs with warranties pretty solid, and worth the savings.

I would go with the MA2, especially if you aren't going to use the Hassy lens for photography.

...but... I probably would switch mine for a refurbished M2P (given the chance) because I DO want the 1" sensor for photography. I could live with the 4k30 I think. Although that 4k60 looks reeeeeally good.

As far as DJI refurb goes. It's like any other refurb. They do a solid once over, swap what needs fixing and sell it used. I bought a refurb HP Spectre from B&H and couldn't be happier. I consider refurbs with warranties pretty solid.

That's the thing Cody... I'm a professional photographer, mostly retired these days and have suffered from boredom from been there/done that syndrome. This drone thing has reinvigorated my creative juices, thrown me into video editing and I've got some projects in mind, one I've just gotten approved for. The MA2 would be perfect for a step-up, but I might have regrets not having gone for the 1" sensor and other advanced features that the M2P offers. My concern is that the M3's will be out soon, probably at similar prices and I'll kick myself if October comes around and that's the case. I could more easily justify paying up for a refurb M2P now while I still have some summer and fall months not far away.

Based on the response I've gotten I've got to put the Part 107 test on the front burner. I'm targeting early September to take the test. I'll PM you with my latest project that I just completed as I value your opinion.

I have bought two refurbished drones from DJI (Air then Zoom). Added the Care plan to the first one, the second I didn't think it was necessary. Absolutely no issues at all. Looked brand new and saved me a few dollars.

A flying buddy wanted a Smart Controller, and I wanted a backup M2P, so a few weeks ago we ordered the DJI-refurbished combo of M2P and SC. Everything was packaged like new, with the typical protective stickers everywhere. I was happy to learn they ship with a new battery (not refurbished).

We’ve flown quite a bit over the last couple weeks without any issues, so far.

That's the thing Cody... I'm a professional photographer, mostly retired these days and have suffered from boredom from been there/done that syndrome. This drone thing has reinvigorated my creative juices, thrown me into video editing and I've got some projects in mind, one I've just gotten approved for. The MA2 would be perfect for a step-up, but I might have regrets not having gone for the 1" sensor and other advanced features that the M2P offers. My concern is that the M3's will be out soon, probably at similar prices and I'll kick myself if October comes around and that's the case. I could more easily justify paying up for a refurb M2P now while I still have some summer and fall months not far away.

Based on the response I've gotten I've got to put the Part 107 test on the front burner. I'm targeting early September to take the test. I'll PM you with my latest project that I just completed as I value your opinion.
As you can see with the others posting between this post and my last, I would say go for the refurb. DJI takes great care in processing the hull and you will likely never even be able to tell any difference.

I see you're in Cook County Illinois via Mexico City ? ... Where do you plan to order from? Fly More combo?

Seeing as you're a professional photographer, no matter what you said after that, I'd immediately recommend the M2Pro refurb over the MA2 or M2Z.

Don't know if you knew this, but you can swap the gimbal on the M2 series so if you ever felt the need for a zoom lens, they can be had fairly cheap and are not very difficult to swap yourself. They fly the exact same, and the controller will recognize the change and give you zoom control on the dial.

As you can see with the others posting between this post and my last, I would say go for the refurb. DJI takes great care in processing the hull and you will likely never even be able to tell any difference.

I see you're in Cook County Illinois via Mexico City ? ... Where do you plan to order from? Fly More combo?

Seeing as you're a professional photographer, no matter what you said after that, I'd immediately recommend the M2Pro refurb over the MA2 or M2Z.

Don't know if you knew this, but you can swap the gimbal on the M2 series so if you ever felt the need for a zoom lens, they can be had fairly cheap and are not very difficult to swap yourself. They fly the exact same, and the controller will recognize the change and give you zoom control on the dial.

I did not know this. It's good to know for sure.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Remember great photography is due to the skill and style of the photographer and not his equipment.

If your waiting for the Mavic 3 and looking at the M2 Pro, then I'd also have a look at a secondhand Phantom 4 Pro, which has the 1in sensor and the stronger performance for wind conditions.

Have a look at this video comparing the image quality to the M2 Pro.

Last edited:
Have you contacted any of the approved vendors on this site? They usually have a forum member discount and prices are the same or less than DJI. Both refurbished and new.

I have no personal experience, but have read other members with positive results from Florida Drone Supply and DJI Drone Service.

If I were looking to buy another drone, I would be contacting them first.

As far as DJI refurb goes. It's like any other refurb. They do a solid once over, swap what needs fixing and sell it used. I bought a refurb HP Spectre from B&H and couldn't be happier. I consider refurbs with warranties pretty solid, and worth the savings.

I will add my two cents to this thread. Both were positive experiences.

1. first refurb from DJI- crashed Mavic Air (red 1) -sent in for repairs and got a refurb in return. It worked perfectly I sold it soon after as a refurb and the buyer was very happy and has never called me

2. second refurb- had a wobble on my brand new Mavic 2 Pro when trying the film a sunset- I sent it to DJI Texas facility of DJI and got a refurb back. It has been working perfectly fine since I have the new drone.

I would have no problem buying a DJI refurbished drone.

I purchased my Mavic Pro Refurbished direct from DJI. It’s flawless and if you could tell the difference between the refurb vs a new drone I’d give you the drone. Well, maybe not?

Have you contacted any of the approved vendors on this site? They usually have a forum member discount and prices are the same or less than DJI. Both refurbished and new.

I have no personal experience, but have read other members with positive results from Florida Drone Supply and DJI Drone Service.

If I were looking to buy another drone, I would be contacting them first.

I'm looking into them now. If someone wants to create a package for me with the M2 Pro (refurb) and the Fly More kit at a good price, better than the token 5% that DJI offers I'd strongly consider moving my timetable up for the purchase.

I appreciate everyone's advice as it gave me confidence to go that route. I now have a M2P with the Fly More kit on order. Should be here Saturday(?)! I guess a bit more learning curve is coming.

Thanks again y'all.

Reactions: pelagic_one
The DJI certified refurbished Mavic 2 Pro's are a great option to save some money. Especially since you can add the refresh warranty to them as well. If you would like, shoot us a message and we would be happy to help you out in getting set up with one.

The M2P and Fly More kit arrived today about noon. When it arrived I was duly impressed first by the packaging, then by the physical condition of the drone and componenents. As you guys said, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between refurbished and new if it didn't have a sticker on the outside of the box saying so. The last camera I bought, a Canon 5D Mk III refurb also came the same way and I've been using it for a couple of years without a hiccup. It appears that the condition was just as good.

When I booted it up for the first time it did not ask me for a firmware update which actually surprised me as me "new" Mavic Mini did. I had to go outside to calibrate the compass which it did ask me to do. Anticipating a successful purchase I had ordered some leg extensions and a gimbal hood and made sure everything worked. I have both the PGYTech extenders and another brand, O'Woda (?) not knowing which I'd like better. The PGY sits it up higher but the legs have to be removed for packing while the O'Woda provide about half the height extension and can be kept on. The rears of the O'Woda can be kept on should I want to use the PGY as they both mount differently.

I finally got it up in the air for a few minutes in the tripod mode, just to get a feel for it. It feels that in the tripod mode is about as snappy as the P mode on my Mini, but the yaw is smoother which I like a lot. I'm not sure how high I had it up, but I got it up over the golf course across the way, about 150 ft out and perhaps 70 ft up. I just wanted to see it in the air and make sure I could control it before being more aggressive. Tomorrow I'll take it to the park and see if I can get a better feel for it. If I feel confident I may try one or two quickshot modes just to acquaint myself with it.

This is a whole 'nother level (or two) of drone with a ton more features and settings. It's gonna take some getting used to. Anyway... thank you all for your advice. As always you steered me in the right direction and I appreciate it.

As always, recommend doing baby steps (like you are). It is much more machine than a Mini. suggest a wide open park/field to test out the features, away from trees or obstructions.

You can set a max distance and max height in Go4. Or even set beginner mode. Remember you have a Pause button on the remote, it will stop it dead in its tracks during any automated flight function- quickshots, rth, etc. so if you get nervous just press it, take a breath and figure out what is going on.

glad you are enjoying it. its an awesome piece of kit.

also in go4 app, you can swipe right (or down) on the flight log screen to see a record of your flight... it will show distance and height achieved among other things...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada