DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any good free Part 107 study courses (and/or mock tests)?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
This drone thing has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for photography and video production, stuff I made a career and fed my family off of. I'm almost fully retired from it, but see this as a new challenge and probably owe it to myself to go for the Part 107 license sooner rather than later. Cash flow is an issue these days, so I'm looking for a good free study course if something exists. Also, is there a mock Part 107 test to get an idea of what might be asked on the test, recognizing that they change up the questions all the time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Check the App Store for whatever smartphone/tablet you have. There are several free 107 study guides out there, with in-app purchases for extra stuff that you probably don't need.

I used this one: Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools

Initially, I watched the Tony Northrup "FREE Drone Certification Study Guide: FAA Part 107 sUAS Test" 1:43 long!

Then, I took the practice test twice across consecutive days - configured for 60 questions like the real deal. Each time, I came across many questions not covered in the video. I decided to read the whole FAA study guide and learned much more. Two more practice tests and I continued to see several more questions about things I had not learned from the video nor the study guide! Each time, I would google missed questions to learn why I got it wrong.

Then, I took the test. Out of the 60 questions, I came across maybe 20 that I've seen so many times that I knew the answer without thinking. 20 more that i had to think through, but felt confortable about. Then there were about 20 that I felt uncomfortable about, but used my judgement based on my learning.

So, I was anxious as my test results printed out...97%!

OK, so I probably put in more effort than some, but I feel really good that I've gained a good foundation of knowledge vs. just passing an entrance requirement.

Good luck!

I used this one: Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools

Initially, I watched the Tony Northrup "FREE Drone Certification Study Guide: FAA Part 107 sUAS Test" 1:43 long!

Then, I took the practice test twice across consecutive days - configured for 60 questions like the real deal. Each time, I came across many questions not covered in the video. I decided to read the whole FAA study guide and learned much more. Two more practice tests and I continued to see several more questions about things I had not learned from the video nor the study guide! Each time, I would google missed questions to learn why I got it wrong.

Then, I took the test. Out of the 60 questions, I came across maybe 20 that I've seen so many times that I knew the answer without thinking. 20 more that i had to think through, but felt confortable about. Then there were about 20 that I felt uncomfortable about, but used my judgement based on my learning.

So, I was anxious as my test results printed out...97%!

OK, so I probably put in more effort than some, but I feel really good that I've gained a good foundation of knowledge vs. just passing an entrance requirement.

Good luck!

Thanks... Do you have a link to the FAA study guide?

Yeah, Google is your friend, but I always like to find where it's located to see what else is next to it vs. bee-lining to the thing. I'm a context guy and that's what I was passing along ;)

Yeah, Google is your friend, but I always like to find where it's located to see what else is next to it vs. bee-lining to the thing. I'm a context guy and that's what I was passing along ;)

Then go straight to the FAA's website, click on the Drones and UAS header on the right then click on the Certified Remote Pilot's header and start there. It has all the links to the test materials and everything you need and it is all free. Like you, I wanted to go straight to the source and I personally found I was able to learn and retain more by seeking out the information directly from the FAA. Everything you need to pass and ace the test is there, if you're hungry enough to chew through it all.

PSI, the FAA's written test administrator, has a mock test you can take on their website. It's the same website you use to register for the test itself.

Ty Pilot Thumbswayup FAA is the best source.

But still, for the life of me, I couldn't find and easy way to navigate to the page containing the section titled "Part 107 Knowledge Test Suggested Study Materials" which includes the study guide, PHAK and a link to PSI's practice tests.

Oh yeah. I started to skim the PHAK for relevant material. Good stuff in there, but as you say, if you're hungry enough to chew through it all.

Ty Pilot Thumbswayup FAA is the best source.

But still, for the life of me, I couldn't find and easy way to navigate to the page containing the section titled "Part 107 Knowledge Test Suggested Study Materials" which includes the study guide, PHAK and a link to PSI's practice tests.

Oh yeah. I started to skim the PHAK for relevant material. Good stuff in there, but as you say, if you're hungry enough to chew through it all.

This is the link to the online practice test: (click Practice Exams)

Seconding everything four said in his initial post. I went through everything the FAA offered three times (IMO the best info), and took every single practice test I could find online at least five times, each. IIRC Ruprecht Law has a practice test, but you can find them all on the first page of a cursory internet search; a lot of places offer them for free. I ended up getting a 92, but walking into the testing booth with the level of confidence I could was the real payoff.

Reactions: iaincaradoc

Thanks. I appreciate the links. While some may say "google is your friend" it isn't always straight forward and often littered with inane URL's that are just trying to sell you stuff. It's so much more helpful to just have the direct link if folks have them. I too like to post links to make it easy for people. Anyone knows they can "just google", but any time saved gets more stuff done. I'd rather spend the 5 minutes studying than clicking. Thanks again for your help.

Google *is* your friend. Your overly-helpful-let's-dump-a-lot-of-useless-dross-in-with-the-flecks-of-placer-gold friend. It's the chum-box spammers that spoil it.

Learning how to positively and negatively flag your keywords can help a *lot*.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580