DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any opinions of the Waypoints feature yet......

Not a patch on Litchi - and the firmware hasn't improved the jerky panning motion :-(

As posted in another thread on this subject:

Waypoints, Litchi and Jerky Footage

I upgraded, aircraft, remote a 5 batteries without issue and had no flight problems with the new firmware. I flew a couple of 6 waypoint missions with single a POI which worked without issue.

First of all credit to DJI for adding back waypoints and improving on the original feature set with the MP1 The interface itself is easy to understand and use but does have a few issues.

Firstly, you can’t set the height of waypoints above 65 feed unless you have the aircraft turned on. This effectively means you need to have the Mavic running down its battery and getting hot all the time you are designing your mission. This is not ideal as a complex mission with multiple POIs may take quite a while to set up.

The interface is very fiddly to use – even on my 9.4” iPad. It would be even worse on a iPad mini or a 5” phone or crystal sky. The map in satellite image mode will not allow you to zoom in far enough to select/move waypoints that are close together. I had a POI I wanted to move and every time I tried to click on the POI it either added another waypoint (which I then couldn’t delete) or added another POI. I ended up with 14 POIs and had to resort to deleting everything and reloading. In map mode you can zoom in slightly more but not much.

It’s great you can save your work too, but unfortunately you can’t give it a name – so locating which mission to load later will rely on remembering when you saved or how many waypoints.

So, just for comparison and designed the same mission in Litchi, standing in the same location with my hands now much colder. What a difference!!

It really is night and day. The Litchi map zooms in much tighter and I had no problem selecting individual points, moving or deleting them or configuring their individual properties. Not once did I add an unwanted point or select the wrong point to edit. The projected path (including the smooth turns) was clearly displayed and the whole experience was a joy to use. (the Go4 had been very frustrating!). I cannot stress enough how much better the interface is (and many more options too) – and of course you don’t need the aircraft or controller on so I could have sat in my car doing it too.

However…… and here’s the real kicker….NEITHER OF THE PROGRAMS PRODUCED USABLE FOOTAGE!!

In both cases, although the aircraft flew perfectly the left-right panning of the camera while following the POI was incredibly jerky – like someone’s first attempt at flying! Completely unusable even when I flew the missions a second time much slower. Both Litchi and DJI were the same – which tends to support Litchis claim that it’s a problem with the DJI API controller. L

Was this using the poly or the curves on these flights ?

Was there a wind warning on the mavic ?

Thanks

I believe you can move up and down the list of waypoints by using the left / right arrows with the waypoint details, and use the trashcan icon to delete it.

As for height, you can use the default height with AC off as you create them, then edit your height with the AC on.
Probably the reason for the limitation is that during normal flight, height and distance is limited when you don't have a device connected to the RC.

Also I did not see mentioned that when using the Litchi web app on the computer to plan your routes Litchi will calculate the above ground elevation for you and set the correct altitude.
I live in mountainous area so this is very important to me.

I am confused. In the instructions on how to use Waypoints it states “Altitude: This is the altitude the drone will be at when it arrives at this waypoint. Swipe up or down on the screen to adjust the altitude. If the previous waypoint is set to a different altitude, the drone will gradually ascend (if the previous waypoint is lower) or descend (if the previous waypoint is higher) while it's flying to this waypoint.” It also states, further on in the instructions “All altitudes shown in the mission planner are the altitude above the takeoff point (not the altitude above the ground below the waypoint/POI). If you're flying in a location where the terrain is not flat, you'll need to adjust the altitude at each waypoint accordingly to account for any altitude changes. You can use Google Earth to get an idea of how flat the terrain is in your flying location. “. Which is correct? If I set the altitude to 50m at the takeoff point, will it be 50m above the waypoint If the ground level is rising to that waypoint?

don't think so, mistake folks make with waypoints is not looking at the rise in height, if any, at their waypoints and adjust height accordingly and end up smacking in to trees, mountains etc.

Another confusion for me is ... (didn’t fly waypoints yet) when you set a camera action on the 1st WP, let’s say “Start recording” ... do I have to set it to every waypoint again until I reach the WP where I actually want to stop recording? Would that create multiple recordings? And how can I set up picture taking and then record again? On the same waypoint! Can?

Having now ran a succesful Waypoint (5) with (1) POI .... video is
not focused. WTH?
I thought once the POI is set it hopefully maybe SHOULD FOCUS on that POI ?
With focus I mean ... the video is NOT clear :-/

Did I forget something?

Greez,
jAKE

Having now ran a succesful Waypoint (5) with (1) POI .... video is
not focused. WTH?
I thought once the POI is set it hopefully maybe SHOULD FOCUS on that POI ?
With focus I mean ... the video is NOT clear :-/

Did I forget something?

Well Waypoint 2.0 turns the camera roughly in the direction of the POI. (can be up to ~300m off) , but does not set the optical focus on it.

Reactions: JakeBlues
Well Waypoint 2.0 turns the camera roughly in the direction of the POI. (can be up to ~300m off) , but does not set the optical focus on it.

Can I manually focus during automated flight?
Have to try that out again. Pretty useless if I can’t get a clear video :-(
I saw some others making waypoint videos but they seem spot-on clear focused. Hmmmmm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder