DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any tips for a super-smooth cinematic way to hand land?

Reactions
I'm shooting a video next week with a continuous shot sequence.

I know the MA2 likes to bounce up on final approach, so I'm asking if anyone has tips or tricks for a perfectly smooth hand-land.

The planned sequence is in Cine/Tripod mode.

Cheers!

Sorry can't recommend anything as i've become really attached to my
fingers...??
It's surprisingly safe and simple, as long as you keep your hand flat until the props stop.

I've done it a bunch, especially with my Spark, but I've never mastered a completely smooth no-bounce transition.

But yeah, it's definitely worth having some healthy paranoia!

I’m not sure about the MA2 but on my M2P if you slide your hand underneath parallel to the bottom within a few inches of the bottom, the sensors do not detect your hand as an obstacle and does not react.

Alternatively you could bring it down to point where you hand would be and stop the recording and then land.

I’m not sure about the MA2 but on my M2P if you slide your hand underneath parallel to the bottom within a few inches of the bottom, the sensors do not detect your hand as an obstacle and does not react.

Alternatively you could bring it down to point where you hand would be and stop the recording and then land.
That's worth experimenting with!

I should clarify that the sequence starts airborne, then transitions to handheld about 1/4 of the way through the planned shoot (tight quarters with people), and we're trying to do it all as one continuous smooth shot.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Try extending the hand BEFORE you initiate the landing. The aircraft should be sufficiently high enough so that extending the hand before landing will not cause it to rise up. Usually it jumps up because the landing sequence has started and all of a sudden this obstacle (your hand) pops into sensor range and it has to stop and evaluate the situation before continuing.

Try extending the hand BEFORE you initiate the landing. The aircraft should be sufficiently high enough so that extending the hand before landing will not cause it to rise up. Usually it jumps up because the landing sequence has started and all of a sudden this obstacle (your hand) pops into sensor range and it has to stop and evaluate the situation before continuing.

Totally worth experimenting with. That's my general experience too, but it's good to have confirmation that others have had a similar experience.

1. Turn off Obstacle Avoidance.
2., Fly it up to yourself.
3. Let it hover near you.
4. Pick it out of thee sky.

Smooth air...fly it down to an altitude about chest level at a slight angle and then HOVER.. walk up to drone at that slight angle. It shouldn't hop around at all. I do it on nearly every flight. If it's gusty the landing will look smooth but you'll have a Uh...concerned look on your face o_O
It sounds like you might be wanting a continuous tracking shot down from altitude directly to your hand and I don't see coming off well.

1. Turn off Obstacle Avoidance.
2., Fly it up to yourself.
3. Let it hover near you.
4. Pick it out of thee sky.

Yeah...fly it towards your face and grab it. No thanx.
I hover slightly to my right, above me, extend my flat hand underneath, and bring it down with the R/C.
If you want smooth, let it hover a bit first and either stop recording or edit later.

Smooth air...fly it down to an altitude about chest level at a slight angle and then HOVER.. walk up to drone at that slight angle. It shouldn't hop around at all. I do it on nearly every flight. If it's gusty the landing will look smooth but you'll have a Uh...concerned look on your face o_O
It sounds like you might be wanting a continuous tracking shot down from altitude directly to your hand and I don't see coming off well.

Now you got me wanting to try it.

If it were me I would just do a Reverse footage at the end of the video since you landing in the same spot , that way you can be super smooth and blend the edit for seamless shot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: Thomas B
It's surprisingly safe and simple, as long as you keep your hand flat until the props stop.

I've done it a bunch, especially with my Spark, but I've never mastered a completely smooth no-bounce transition.

But yeah, it's definitely worth having some healthy paranoia!
i do hand landing most of the time. it is really not that scary. just put palm out until the sensors see your hand. it will rise again about a foot, and then, slowly lower again. at this point, just pinch the undercarriage, while avoiding propellers. wait a few seconds until props completely stop. just don't attempt hand landing, if standing down wind.

I love my fingers, as well, at 75 I want to keep what I got.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook