DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any tips to avoid RANDOM birds popping out of nowhere ?

crucx

Reactions
Hey. I have a mavic air since a while now and on my video captures i have noticed a lot of times birds. Even at my first fly ever i caught a bird on the camera.
How to avoid them ?

I mean RANDOM birds coming out of nowhere. I always check the skies before flying. It's clear always so i start my drone and go up. 5 Minutes later i notice birds in front of the camera which scares me a lot so i start to land fast as possible. I dont know if birds would ever attack a mavic air / drone at all. But i can imagine that they could hit my drone by accident. I am living in germany btw and i dont know about the bird types living here. But i am sure there are no wild breeds in germany. I am just scared of the random birds coming out of nowhere and accidently hitting my drone...

Or do the lights / LED's on my drone help to avoid birds hitting it ?

unfortunately there is no real way to prevent birds flying around you drone, the only guaranteed way to prevent this is not to fly, there are certain times of the year when birds are breeding ,and then they become very protective of their nests, so try to avoid areas of high bird numbers such as cliff ledges and known nesting sites you can get info from the bird protection groups about when not to fly near to them,

aircraft cannot prevent bird strikes nor can drones we share the air with them and sometimes these things happen if you do see birds mobbing your drone go straight up which will get you clear of them, then come home as quickly as you can, come down in a spiral motion descending while flying forwards that is the best way to get down avoiding prop wash issues

Last edited:
I know all that. My question was based about that random popping. So there is no solution.
What about LED propellers ? are they useless too for birds ?

I know all that. My question was based about that random popping. So there is no solution.

@crucx you asked a question and you got an answer....
unfortunately there is no real way to prevent birds flying around you drone, the only guaranteed way to prevent this is not to fly....
It happens to not be the answer you wanted but it is a VERY accurate answer none-the-less.

LED propellers? Adding more weight and complexity to a single failure point is a recipe for disaster.

Birds are at home in the air and you'll just have to remain aware so you can try to avoid them.

birds will pop up anywhere any time and 99% of the time nothing happens if you do get into contact with them then thats just life in action

@ BigAl07 thankyou for your support cant please every one i guess

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Hey. I have a mavic air since a while now and on my video captures i have noticed a lot of times birds. Even at my first fly ever i caught a bird on the camera.
How to avoid them ?

I mean RANDOM birds coming out of nowhere. I always check the skies before flying. It's clear always so i start my drone and go up. 5 Minutes later i notice birds in front of the camera which scares me a lot so i start to land fast as possible. I dont know if birds would ever attack a mavic air / drone at all. But i can imagine that they could hit my drone by accident. I am living in germany btw and i dont know about the bird types living here. But i am sure there are no wild breeds in germany. I am just scared of the random birds coming out of nowhere and accidently hitting my drone...

Or do the lights / LED's on my drone help to avoid birds hitting it ?
Aside from the replies above maybe try using the search function on the forum first?......

It's the pooping out of nowhere birds that are a worse problem...
putin.jpg

unfortunately there is no real way to prevent birds flying around you drone, the only guaranteed way to prevent this is not to fly, there are certain times of the year when birds are breeding ,and then they become very protective of their nests, so try to avoid areas of high bird numbers such as cliff ledges and known nesting sites you can get info from the bird protection groups about when not to fly near to them,

aircraft cannot prevent bird strikes nor can drones we share the air with them and sometimes these things happen if you do see birds mobbing your drone go straight up which will get you clear of them, then come home as quickly as you can, come down in a spiral motion descending while flying forwards that is the best way to get down avoiding prop wash issues
Prop wash is not an issue with DJI for several years. At least not for the drone's stability. It still could be for items around it, particularly below, but spiraling won't help that.

Reactions: old man mavic
i guess i have always done it from flying early types of drones where it was an issue ,old habits die hard but i always descend that way and have never had issues with vortex ring state

i guess i have always done it from flying early types of drones where it was an issue ,old habits die hard but i always descend that way and have never had issues with vortex ring state

It's hard to break old habits. I still descend with forward motion to keep the props in "clean air" and avid VRS even though it's now pretty much eliminated with dummying down the firmware.

It's hard to break old habits. I still descend with forward motion to keep the props in "clean air" and avid VRS even though it's now pretty much eliminated with dummying down the firmware.
especially if you have been standing 15 ft from a drone, as it plummeted from 200ft up and as it hit the ground the battery exploded, although it was over two years ago ,i will never forget it nor will my mate whos drone it was ,it was on a RTH at the time it was after that moment that i did some research on VRS

Reactions: BigAl07
We used to have bird strikes all the time in helos. They rise up sometimes and it's usually too late. Just make sure you record the bird strike for our entertainment please. It's a badge of honor for manned aviation guys to get a bird strike.

Fly indoors or carry a shot gun.
Some birds just fly around and make a noise and others actually attack the drone. Knowing the difference is experience, practice your evasive maneuvers.
I was flying in South Africa when a group of Plovers chased my drone around, they just flew around it making a lot of noise. I flew in a big square and tired them out, then they lost interest and left the drone.

Common problem...great answers...good banter. It's the same down under when swimming in the ocean expect sharks as one is in their domain. If too many birds when flying ...go swimming ...or maybe not!

Reactions: Skywalker
Vortex Ring State ? What the hell , like I don't have enough things to worry about ? Ignorance is or was bliss
dont worry to much ,its very rare now due to changes in the motor angle on the 4 corners of the arms ,and the lower descent speed of the drone ,it is basically a issue that happens when because the drone is descending straight down the tips of the props produce vortices that reduce the air pressure under the props so the drone is no longer able to stay air born and just plummits to the ground and increasing the props speed just makes it worse ,if you are quick and have enough height then you can recover lift by flying forwards or in any other direction which takes the props out of the disturbed air and lift to be regained ,this is not guaranteed ,but it does at least give you a chance of saving the day so a way of avoiding it is to fly down in a large spiral or straight line to your home point so the props are always in clean air

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98