DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody running the new DJI Fly 1.0.8 app yet?

Drone SAR For Lost Dogs is a 100% voluntary service. We do it to reunite dogs and their owners. Anyone who charges someone for a Search & Rescue is, in our book, lets say... not a nice person, and goes against everything we stand for at DSARFLDUK.
Why should anyone make a profit from somebody else's loss, desperation and grief?
Thumbswayup Good to hear.

Reactions: old man mavic
I went to DJI.com support software used camera on phone to scan QR code and updated

Reactions: Ralle
I messed around with it - the update for lost signal behavior seems pretty nice too. This might have been in there for longer, but think it's pretty cool too :)

Has it been verified that fail-safe settings exist while AC is connected?

I ask because after Mini release, iOS version of app did show the setting, but only if it never connected to the AC. Once it connected to the AC, the option disappeared.

Has it been verified that fail-safe settings exist while AC is connected?

I ask because after Mini release, iOS version of app did show the setting, but only if it never connected to the AC. Once it connected to the AC, the option disappeared.

Yes, they work now.

I just checked into it.
The Android version seems to have a delay in correctly retrieving and displaying the advanced settings.

Initially it showed no option selected for fail-safe. If I selected one, exited out of settings and came back, it showed no selection again. When I restarted the AC, it showed no selection for a bit and CSC setting showed NA even though it showed I had GPS, which is one of the last things settled.

I was playing around with CSC setting, and had a hard time getting it back to Emergency. It kept reverting back to Always. It appears to stick now.

IOS shows correctly.

For whatever reason 1.08 downloaded on my android phone, but not my iPad. From what I've seen the last few days the big asset of 1.08 is that you can now control the white balance.

How did you do it? Do you not have automatic updates set? I can't get mine to update
I do have auto updates ... but in this case went to the App Store, searched for dji fly and it showed an update button.

Yep, I've got it. Still doesn't connect to my $900+ phone, but I have the updated app.

Reactions: Mrveronn
I did and used it 2 days ago. Everything went well and the little Mini handled well even though it was a bit windy. It shifted into the high power mode once while it was high in the wind and I did get what I thought were more prompts about wind than usual, but it was gusting as high as 20 mph, so it was probably correct. Here's a video I posted regarding finally trying the PGYTECH CPL in the Recall!! PGYTECH CPL and NDPL filters, thread.

Shot 2 days ago after I updated everything.

View attachment 97232
Absolutely gorgeous! ?

The behavior I would like to see would be something like Retrace Path, i.e. just back up along the recent path until the signal was restored, then return to manual control. That's a safe path (at least to the precision that it can be reproduced). Do other drones have something like that?

In the early days of the 3DR Solo, they added something akin to retrace path as an additional failsafe but ended up disabling it shortly after. The problem is that GPS to this day is not that accurate. Under the best conditions, the accuracy is only to about a six foot bubble. This might be ok if you're in a wide open space but the accuracy is not good enough to say, back out from a stand of trees. Additionally, GPS accuracy is going to be much less when the GPS signals are blocked by the trees themselves.

It simply isn't technically possible (yet, anyway) to record a path accurate enough for something like retrace to be feasible.

In the early days of the 3DR Solo, they added something akin to retrace path as an additional failsafe but ended up disabling it shortly after. The problem is that GPS to this day is not that accurate. Under the best conditions, the accuracy is only to about a six foot bubble. This might be ok if you're in a wide open space but the accuracy is not good enough to say, back out from a stand of trees. Additionally, GPS accuracy is going to be much less when the GPS signals are blocked by the trees themselves.

It simply isn't technically possible (yet, anyway) to record a path accurate enough for something like retrace to be feasible.
Yeah, but if you're going to fly into some known condition like that, then you should first choose an appropriate RTH option, and I'm not suggesting that a Retrace would be the only choice. I still think that even with 6-foot accuracy, for most situations, a Retrace would be a better option than the ones offered now and would cover situations that those three don't.

Reactions: Thanev
Yeah, but if you're going to fly into some known condition like that, then you should first choose an appropriate RTH option, and I'm not suggesting that a Retrace would be the only choice. I still think that even with 6-foot accuracy, for most situations, a Retrace would be a better option than the ones offered now and would cover situations that those three don't.

If it were technically feasible, higher end enterprise drones would have the capability already and to date, as far as I know, none do.

That said, GPS technology is not static. As satellites reach their EOL they are slowly being replaced with satellites that are capable of cm accuracy without the need for ground stations. Once enough of them are deployed and GPS receivers capable of reading them start to show up in new devices, then it will become practical to add such a function to drones. This is a few years off yet though.

If it were technically feasible, higher end enterprise drones would have the capability already and to date, as far as I know, none do.

That said, GPS technology is not static. As satellites reach their EOL they are slowly being replaced with satellites that are capable of cm accuracy without the need for ground stations. Once enough of them are deployed and GPS receivers capable of reading them start to show up in new devices, then it will become practical to add such a function to drones. This is a few years off yet though.

Afaik, the M2P retraces the last 60 seconds of its flight in an effort to regain signal. If that fails, then it returns straight home.

Afaik, the M2P retraces the last 60 seconds of its flight in an effort to regain signal. If that fails, then it returns straight home.

I stand corrected. Though that's not quite what I was thinking of. And I looked into it and it looks like it only works under very limited conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42