DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone ever been busted.... (107 question)

Nope. You are wrong. Regardless of why the contractor is using the UAV, it is still being used for COMMERCIAL purposes. ...

I didn't say that the FAA wouldn't press charges, I said what the lawyers would likely argue, and it could be interesting. As far as I know, no case like this has been litigated.

I didn't say that the FAA wouldn't press charges, I said what the lawyers would likely argue, and it could be interesting. As far as I know, no case like this has been litigated.
Maybe @BigAl07 will help clarify, but I believe the fines etc are administrative in nature... likely no one wants to contest it for the money such litigation would cost.

Maybe @BigAl07 will help clarify, but I believe the fines etc are administrative in nature... likely no one wants to contest it for the money such litigation would cost.

Yes indeed, as it is with most administrative law. Very few are contested on the basis of lawfulness, one does not have the presumption of innocence, and the cost of fighting is much more than the cost of capitulation.

How is the 'enemy' being an ahole for reporting illegal activity? They (and more people) should be reporting illegally flying drones.
You have a point. But IMO much depends on the motivation for such reporting and the activity involved. Is he trying to make people safer, or just being spiteful? There is a difference between being a concerned citizen and a "snitch". Maybe the "reporter" doesn't know if his competition has a license or not and calls the FAA anyway? So many scenarios. And I think a lot of determining motivation depends on the activity. Metphorically, there is a difference between being reported for having illegally tinted windows and driving down a residential street at 45mph. While I personally have gone to lengths to stay within legal bounds, I think it depends on the circumstances whether or not a report is justified. I'm glad to hear that the FAA in most circumstances begins with the emphasis on education. JMO

Competitors turn you in? First off, do your competitors typically follow you around everywhere? How do they know where you obtained photos or footage? Second, the FAA calls and warns you? 107 or not, I would ask what makes them think this was done by an unlicensed pilot? They can go fly a kite. (No mod editing necessary lol). Oh, FAA knows I have a registered drone. Ok, I have a hammer and circular saw I bought at Lowes too. I don't build houses for a living. I have a car with a pinstripe. But I don't race the Nascar circuit. Also, those who think it's right to turn in non 107 pilots, do you also worry about whether or not they are a licensed business for tax purposes? Or if they are operating a business out of their home, is it okay with their local city ordinances and HOA? Plenty of my competitors operating in this manner. I would be on the phone and emailing for weeks just to turn them all in.

Here‘s an interesting piece of info...My Son, who was in Iraq at a Command Operation Center said they used facial recognition from 40k feet.

It's true; AISR usually operates from 10,000' up to 40,000' and uses drones as well as manned aircraft. The facial recognition is amazing as is the FLIR imaging.

If you're not doing anything illegal, it won't matter what the status of the person viewing your remote ID is. In fact, you'll be better off as the data will prove that you were doing nothing wrong.
Not a big fan of if you're not doing anything illegal. It doesn't make a difference, surveillance is surveillance. I know the UK is kind of used to it, but....

Not a big fan of if you're not doing anything illegal. It doesn't make a difference, surveillance is surveillance. I know the UK is kind of used to it, but....

I don’t think anyone would ever even look at the data unless you’ve actually done something illegal. There are so many other ways you can be tracked that are far more intrusive.

Competitors turn you in? First off, do your competitors typically follow you around everywhere? How do they know where you obtained photos or footage?

My very first call from the FAA was indeed where a "competitor" turned me in for not having the needed credentials. Fortunately he was very wrong (in fact I have an excess of credentials LOL) and a short phone call resolved it. He was starting a new business in town and thought he'd get a leg-up on the existing business by trying to report me.

How did he know? My work is popular here locally and it's not uncommon to see it in various spots in the papers and on the news. I've been lucky enough to have some articles written about me and even had my work (and myself) on the cover of a catalog. So it's not just "following you around" how they can learn about your "work".

Second, the FAA calls and warns you? 107 or not, I would ask what makes them think this was done by an unlicensed pilot?

They are well within their right to make contact with you. If you're lucky the call is short and sweet and in a week or so you can a certified packet with papers etc indicating the case is closed.

...Also, those who think it's right to turn in non 107 pilots, do you also worry about whether or not they are a licensed business for tax purposes?

We have a LONG history with the FAA and they even have given the guidance to turn in unsafe or seemingly rogue operations. I think it's RIGHT to turn someone who might be operating unsafe or outside of the regulations and let the FAA do their investigation. Many of us have a LOT invested in this industry and the ones operating outside of the regulations are making it tougher and in some instances (Remote ID) more expensive.

And YES if I knew they were operating outside of Tax law etc I'd have no problem reporting them. If I'm going to play (and PAY) by the book why should someone doing the exact same business as I am NOT play (pay) by the books.

...Plenty of my competitors operating in this manner. I would be on the phone and emailing for weeks just to turn them all in.

That's 100% your call but most people aren't going to sit on here and JUDGE you regardless of what decision you make on it. It's your call boss... your life so live it however you like.

Reactions: Cobra193
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead