DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Find a m4-0.7 screw with a DRing Head for mounting lanyard on the Smart Controller

You also need a M4 x 7mm long screw. I also use the fly more soft case strap as the lanyard.
The numbers in your post may be a bit confusing.
The numbers that are somewhat critical for someone wanting to deal with the hole in the bottom of the sc are 4mm diameter with a .7mm pitch.
7mm length may not be quite long enough in some applications depending on what is being attached. As I remember(sold mine), I think the depth of the hole is around 12 to 14 mm.

Reactions: ff22 and RogerMav
The numbers in your post may be a bit confusing.
The numbers that are somewhat critical for someone wanting to deal with the hole in the bottom of the sc are 4mm diameter with a .7mm pitch.
7mm length may not be quite long enough in some applications depending on what is being attached. As I remember(sold mine), I think the depth of the hole is around 12 to 14 mm.

I initially took the odd approach of using a toothpick to measure the hole depth and then went to the hardware store. I had read that they were 4mm (and found them the same "threading" as the joy sticks). I'm not sure that I even considered the pitch but maybe that was a default value when at the store.

But I've since switched to "STARZ" screws (g)

My local hardware store had a variety of 4mm screws. Most seem to need a hex driver but the screw I got is a pan/rounded head - does not extend far. I did use picture hanging d-rings. I'm going to see if I can find a slightly smaller size. Someone did post an Amazon link that had a package of BLACK d-rings but I really don't need a 100 of them even if the price was not outrageous. I have since removed the green landscape wire - that was for a single point lanyard that I've since replaced with a spare camera strap I had. I've also covered the metal clips with two sections of black bike inner tube to keep those metal clips from wrapping around and hitting the screen. I should take an updated picture. Note the rounded, not protruding screw heads.

View attachment 61608
Since I also didn't want 100 pieces of D-ring I decided to make my own.
Two standars m4*10mm bolts, two nylon washers and I made from a piece of standard 2,5m2 copperwire two small rings. Soldered them together with the m4 bolts and it was fixed.
I took from my very old Nikon D100 the lanyard and attached it.
Very satisfied with the result. It's more then strong enough, not to big and the Nikon lanyard sits comfortable.

Ton

_dsc0837-jpg.85307

Attachments

• _DSC0837.jpg
    _DSC0837.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 184
Reactions: ff22
I found something that solves it all! This is a whole lanyard with the screws attached:
Amazon.com: Sunnylife Lanyard Neck Strap for DJI Smart Controller Mavic 2 PRO & Zoom Drone: Toys & Games

This fits perfectly, and allows me to wear the Smart Controller around my neck, and adjust the height. It doesn't cut into my neck either. Very handy!
Jim in Colorado

This is what came with the mavic pro 2 with smart controller kit I bought from Dronemanhub on amazon. They work perfect, fit snugly and are small enough that the controller still fits in the hard case perfectly.

mavic pro 2 and SC.JPG

This is what came with the mavic pro 2 with smart controller kit I bought from Dronemanhub on amazon. They work perfect, fit snugly and are small enough that the controller still fits in the hard case perfectly.

View attachment 86129
I purchased that item to see for myself what it was like. Maybe they have changed since then, but I was not impressed with the screw itself. If you check it against a machined screw that can be found at a local hardware store, you may be able to see the difference. Let me know what you find.
Would be interested in your results. Thanks.

I purchased that item to see for myself what it was like. Maybe they have changed since then, but I was not impressed with the screw itself. If you check it against a machined screw that can be found at a local hardware store, you may be able to see the difference. Let me know what you find.
Would be interested in your results. Thanks.
It fits perfectly and with the soft washers, it tightens up snugly. I have no fear of it falling out. I could easily tighten it very tight and crush the soft washers. It's definitely the correct thread.

Do me a favor. Put the screw in half the length and see how much wiggle it has. That was the complaint that I had. I’m sure it will hold for what it needs to do, I just wasn’t happy with the tolerance of the fit on the threads.

Do me a favor. Put the screw in half the length and see how much wiggle it has. That was the complaint that I had. I’m sure it will hold for what it needs to do, I just wasn’t happy with the tolerance of the fit on the threads.

With the ring only half screwed in, there is 1/32 of deflection at the outer end of the ring. It feels very secure to me. One could always put some threadlocker on it or a wrap of teflon tape for piece of mind but honestly, it isn't necessary. The thread length is also slightly over 3/8ths so it would be difficult to have it come out on you without you noticing. With the soft washers, it's very secure and has never turned on me even a little bit unless I turned it. YMMV

Reactions: Starz
I'm using this on my smart controller and I see no problem. The case closes just fine since the foam conforms to it. It's just slightly higher than the charger you see there. I also prefer using my Inspire 1 Lanyard or any standard RC Controller lanyard.

20191206_215315 (002).jpg

I have seen several solutions on amazon for attaching lanyards to the smart controller, but all of them use a giant fixed ring or post to attach the lanyard to. For most storage solutions these would have to be removed because of their size.

Ideally the solution would be a screw with a d-ring head like we often see as a photo accessories - however most of these are with different threading.

In one of the intros we see one crafted from screws and small picture frame triangle mounts - but the ideal solution is a black d-ring headed screw which fits the threads.

Does anyone know of one which works and can share the listing?
I finally found the Lanyard Screws for the Smart Controller...they are selling on ebay....here is the link.........https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Smart-Controller-Lanyard-Mounting-Eye-Hole-Screws/313337858405?hash=item48f4644965:g:pY0AAOSwX2pf0mkc

This is what I might end up with - but I still hoping I can find a d-ring head screw that fits these heads
I finally found the Lanyard Screws for the Smart Controller...they are selling on ebay....here is the link.........https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Smart-Controller-Lanyard-Mounting-Eye-Hole-Screws/313337858405?hash=item48f4644965:g:pY0AAOSwX2pf0mkc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom