DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone not having Mavic Pro issues?

Well that's the the thing, the Mavic is most things to most people, you can fly cautiously or you push the limits with this aircraft, i think the main thing that has made these drones more enjoyable is the support we all get here, i would consider myself a kind of advances amateur but there are a lot of people on here that are much more technically minded and are willing to share that info, the best part is that it does not matter what level you are your not crucified for not knowing. Probably the best forum on the net.

Reactions: old man mavic
Slade here. Received a Holy Stone drone for Christmas and discovered I love flying a drone. My dream drone is the DJI Mavic Pro, but I’m wary of dropping $850-$1000 only to have “issues.” Are there Mavic Pro owners who haven’t had problems? Thank you.
I have had my Mavic Pro since June of 2017, never crashed, never had any problems out of the ordinary, practice, do risk assessments, be careful, and know when to land it and call it a day. Youtube is an invaluable resource for finding tons of info.

Slade here. Received a Holy Stone drone for Christmas and discovered I love flying a drone. My dream drone is the DJI Mavic Pro, but I’m wary of dropping $850-$1000 only to have “issues.” Are there Mavic Pro owners who haven’t had problems? Thank you.
I've been flying mine for two years. The only issues i've had are my own. Fogetting to remove the gimble lock, forgeting to insert the sd card, forgetting to reset camera settings...etc etc.
Can you see the pattern? Most issues are with the pilot and not the Mavic.

goes without saying i think we have answered the OPs original question by now lets hope he invests in one and joins a happy band of fliers

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
I have had my Mav Pro for over two years now. Have not had any issues to speak of. I think the Mav is an incredible piece of technology. I agree with most on here. Problems with a drone of any name can have faults but, a dji product is going to be at the bottom of the list of REAL problems. Pilot error is almost always the case. No haters!
I have over 15 different drones. Different styles for different flying. I have to admit that the one I trust not to mess up is my Mav. They have the best and latest technology. Not to say there may be a bad apple once in awhile but, for the most part it is the best out there. Still happy with mine after all this time. Still have original props on should tell you something. It’s a good product that requires lots of practice and research so you can be the best pilot possible.

Reactions: tleedom
I've had MP1 for two years last month. More than 160 flights, 16 hours, and 400,000 feet, not to mention hundreds of minutes of HD video, and all with not so much as a hiccup from the drone. I built several drones of various sizes based on DJI flight controllers before the MP days and all of them are still performing perfectly.

These are exquisite machines despite the fact that only the woes seem worthy of comment.

Mavic pro is an old bird. Buy the Pro 2 or get left behind

Maybe so, but can get the MP1 at a considerable discount vs MP2. Buying the latest and greatest is not always the best choice when it comes to tech. To me, the improvements in the MP2 don’t warrant my spending the extra dollars. The MP1 is more than enough for my needs.

I've had my Pro Platinum for just over a year - it is still my favorite drone (I also have a Phantom 3 Advanced, and a Spark). The Pro is like a sports car; it is small and handles great. The only problem I had was the cable that connects to the phone went bad. As others have said, the phone/tablet says "disconnected", and is disturbing, but if you stay calm, and look at the RC, you'll see it is still connected just fine. Knowing you had set the RTH height properly, just hit the RTH button, and it comes back to you, no problem. I highly recommend the Mavic Pro Platinum.

MP has been very good to me. I love flying it every single time. It's been problem free to me. Total flytime exceeded 30+ hours in the last 16 months. Nonetheless, I have also been thinking of getting the Mavic 2.
So, just want to hear your elaboration of why you said so. Got to have good reason though! Educate me please!

I also now have the Mavic 2 Zoom and like it a lot but sometimes I think I like my Macic Pro more than the Mavic 2 Zoom.

I've had my Mavic Pro since soon after it was introduced. I flew it almost every day, never had any issues. Now I have a Mavic 2 Pro so the poor old Mavic mostly sits on the shelf. Every once in a while, I'll drag it out and fly it. My original Mavic 2 Pro had a gimbal issue, DJI replaced it under warranty, not had any problems since.

Reactions: lolo780
TO the OP.
I purchased a used mavic pro, it is from the first batch (nov 2016) been flying it for 3 months or so, it is on the latest firmware. I am from RC heli crowd so I fly the mavic hard- (or as hard as it lets me, pedal to the metal :) )
Zero problems so far.

I use my MP more as a camera than just flying for fun but it still a blast to zip around with it. I would like the better camera the MP_2 has but I'll wait for something else down the road. As of now I'm satisfied with the MP's performance. I've had the camera gimbal do some jumping around on it a couple times. Thought a bird hit me until the quad was in view and no birds around when it happened again. I've lost video a couple times but the AC flew fine. So far no issues to send it in for any repairs. Some of the problems are just not knowing how it operates. The times I've had control problems was me not doing a pre-flight and not realizing there was magnetic interference at the takeoff point. These are a bit techie compared to the small toy like drones.

My buddy crashed his MP screwing around and sent it in for repair. He got back a refurbished Pro and it has flown great. You might consider a refurbished for sale if you can find a good price from somebody like B&H or a good DJI dealer. Whether or not you feel you need the latest and greatest, just be aware that although the MP-2 might be brand new now, in a couple of years it too will be dated with new models taking the its place. Being the batteries, controllers and parts don't usually interchange, when you switch to a different model you'll be starting all over. DJI came out with a new smart controller that might be worth looking at. I did not like using my phone to fly with so I bought the 5.5 Crystal Sky and finally the ultra bright 7" model and love it.

I do feel if you want to fly FPV, the Mavic isn't the best choice compared to racing drones. Not that folks don't use them for FPV, more that a good racing drone is capable of stunts and high speed flight. My Vortex 250P has hit the ground several times with no damage and if I flew my MP like that it would be in pieces. Still the DJI stuff practically flies itself...just kind of complicated.

I feel this a great write up:
Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide) | Phantom Help

I own and fly a dozen fixed-wing and about a dozen multirotor sUASs, including the Mavic Pro and several ArduPilot-based fixed-wing and miltirotor sUASs. I fly throughout the year here in western PA and consider myself an intermediate RC pilot with lots to learn.

In my ”fleet” of RC aircraft, I would say the Mavic Pro is the most capable, feature-rich, polished, and reliable multirotor I have, but since it does a lot, it is also one of the most complex and difficult to master. That’s not to say that you can't do a lot with it without ”mastering” every feature and capability. The quality of the construction and software are outstanding, and I don't feel like I spent too much for it.

I fly my Mavic Pro very conservatively and strictly for commercial and training purposes. Any ”issues” I have had were my fault, and I suspect ”pilot error” is the cause of most ”issues” people report for the Mavic Pro.

Since the Mavic is a flying camera, learn how to use a camera with similar capabilities before you fly. Avoid learning how to use the camera while learning how to fly.

Download, study and understand the Mavic instructions before you buy. Study again before you fly. Have a plan and follow it whenever you fly. Study and practice emergency procedures before you need them. Since you will likely be self-taught, take it slow to build your skill set and experience. Expect failure or near failure since you will be pushing your skill ”envelope.”

Happy flying!

Reactions: Thomas B
I'll add my voice to the choir... I'm coming up on 2 years with my Mavic Pro and absolutely love it. Early on I clipped my house (you guessed it... Operator error) but have had trouble free flying from it. Occasionally the gimbal will jump around in flight and I've had issues with the app on certain phones, but those are minor issues. I have an older Android phone and tablet I use with it and they resolved the app stuff. IOS, at least at one time, tended to be more stable app-wise but I'll never own an iPhone and I haven't had any issues with app updates in some time.

Like everyone else said, read the manuals and online info. Take it slow - I've only just recently gotten it out over a mile away in preparation for a trip to Hawaii (I'm determined to film fissure 8 that caused the bulk of the recent lava flow).

Just get one and you'll love it too!

DJI has 72% market share. They didn’t earn that by selling problematic drones. My Mavic Pro is the most stable, reliable and awesome drone in my “fleet”.

My Yuneec Q5004K is also stable. It more of a photo barge in the sky. It’s not a sporty drone while the Mavic is both.

i've been flying this mavic pro platinum for a little more than a year. it amazes me what this little drone can do. it keeps coming back each time. no issues thus far. pretty solid platform...knock on wood! ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d