DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone own A Autel Drone?

DroneJI

Reactions
I was just looking at the Autel Evo I know it’s release date is pending but they have a Phantom clone that looks pretty good. Does anyone here own a X-Star? Is the quality on par with Dji? Because I’m seriously thinking about the Evo when it comes out. I really like the look of the Evo. And possibly he X-Star if I keep having issues with Dji over the Firmware is that killed my Video downlink IMG_0427.JPGIMG_0426.JPG

no, maybe try the Autel forum. Must be someone there who owns one.
I personally never liked copies, especially when they are almost as expensive.
Edit: I do like the color scheme very much though.

But I wonder, how would a firmware update kill your video downlink while others have no problem at all? What's your theory on this? Not saying you're wrong, just interested if there's a hidden culprit we all sooner or later might step in while updating?

But I wonder, how would a firmware update kill your video downlink while others have no problem at all? What's your theory on this? Not saying you're wrong, just interested if there's a hidden culprit we all sooner or later might step in while updating?

It’s a know problem with a recent update to The phantoms the Gimble board overheats and frys the board, a lot of people have had it happen that’s why the camera is so hard to find right now. And people selling them are asking insane prices for it! The drone still works but you have to fly blind and guess on the camera settings the only way apparently to prevent this is to put a strong fan on the Gimble before updating it or risk frying the board.

I only asked about the Autel here because I’m hoping to find someone that owns both Dji and Autel that can give me there experiences with both.

I don’t really consider them a copy if they are on par with Dji’s it’s like a car many manufacturers and they can look similar but like ford being the first I don’t see Chevy and Chrysler being copy’s of the original. The drones I see as a copy are the generic ones that cost a small fraction of the real thing they are toys but they try to mimic the real thing

Reactions: ToddR
It’s a know problem with a recent update to The phantoms the Gimble board overheats and frys the board, a lot of people have had it happen that’s why the camera is so hard to find right now. And people selling them are asking insane prices for it! The drone still works but you have to fly blind and guess on the camera settings the only way apparently to prevent this is to put a strong fan on the Gimble before updating it or risk frying the board.

That was true of the Phantom 3 series, because it had a tiny little cooling fan on the externally mounted gimbal board. The boards would fry unless you kept them cool, as you mentioned.

The Mavic has a huge fan for it's size, and it keeps things cool while sitting idle with power on even when updating, unlike the Phantom. I think people are losing video due to the firmware itself and probably not due to a mechanical failure.

Reactions: DroneJI
That was true of the Phantom 3 series, because it had a tiny little cooling fan on the externally mounted gimbal board. The boards would fry unless you kept them cool, as you mentioned.

The Mavic has a huge fan for it's size, and it keeps things cool while sitting idle with power on even when updating, unlike the Phantom. I think people are losing video due to the firmware itself and probably not due to a mechanical failure.

Yea I’m in a battle with Dji over this right now they made it clear that if I send it in and they find any signs of a impact or such they won’t fix it free! Even though this issue can’t be caused by a crash the camera is in perfect condition not a scratch but it has a new shell because it had stress cracks around the motors, I’m afraid they will deny the warranty because the shell was replaced! I am loosing faith in dji and really considering Autel because of how the support treats some issues.

Does anyone here own a X-Star? Is the quality on par with Dji? Because I’m seriously thinking about the Evo when it comes out.
I own an Autel X-Star Premium. I rarely fly it. It's pretty close to a P3P (with a shorter range) and I think the quality of the drone itself is equivalent (maybe even a little better in some areas) to the P3P. Fewer people own them, so the community is much smaller and there aren't as many accessories for them.

Check out Autel X Pilots if you want to chat with more people who own Autel drones.

if I keep having issues with Dji over the Firmware is that killed my Video downlink
FWIW, in this thread, you stated you purchased a broken Phantom and really aren't sure why it's broken. Sending it to DJI or another repair shop is probably the best route to take. If you want a working drone that's covered under warranty, you should consider buying new/refurbished from DJI or an authorized DJI dealer.

Hi, I have both. I have an Autel X-Star Premium and a Mavic Pro. I like flying both. The Mavic is smaller to travel with, flys further, and takes better night video. The X-Star Premium is easier to see when flying, takes better daytime video, the app connects better with android, and isn't constantly updating apps.

I'll *never* buy another DJI product though. After you deal with their customer service, you'll agree. (*long* story omitted, it was a gimbal sticking issue, they sent my Mavic Pro back disassembled, with a bag of screws, and no gimbal lock). Their service was unbelieveably poor.

I had to deal with a bad battery issue with Autel- super easy and fair. My only Autel concern is them staying in business with only 1 product in the pipeline. They're not selling the X-Star Premuim anymore but some vendors still have stock.

Reactions: Former Member
Hi, I have both. I have an Autel X-Star Premium and a Mavic Pro. I like flying both. The Mavic is smaller to travel with, flys further, and takes better night video. The X-Star Premium is easier to see when flying, takes better daytime video, the app connects better with android, and isn't constantly updating apps.

I'll *never* buy another DJI product though. After you deal with their customer service, you'll agree. (*long* story omitted, it was a gimbal sticking issue, they sent my Mavic Pro back disassembled, with a bag of screws, and no gimbal lock). Their service was unbelieveably poor.

I had to deal with a bad battery issue with Autel- super easy and fair. My only Autel concern is them staying in business with only 1 product in the pipeline. They're not selling the X-Star Premuim anymore but some vendors still have stock.

They are about to release a Evo that’s what I’m looking at the x star they say they sell refurbs but are out of stock right now

I own an Autel X-Star Premium. I rarely fly it. It's pretty close to a P3P (with a shorter range) and I think the quality of the drone itself is equivalent (maybe even a little better in some areas) to the P3P. Fewer people own them, so the community is much smaller and there aren't as many accessories for them.

Check out Autel X Pilots if you want to chat with more people who own Autel drones.

FWIW, in this thread, you stated you purchased a broken Phantom and really aren't sure why it's broken. Sending it to DJI or another repair shop is probably the best route to take. If you want a working drone that's covered under warranty, you should consider buying new/refurbished from DJI or an authorized DJI dealer.

It’s a long story about the phantom it’s been damaged by the firmware regardless of when I a, trying to get Dji to accept responsibility for it but it’s turning into quite a battle! I think there afraid that if they admit fault it will open up a can of worms they don’t want open

I’m going to check the Autel forum y’all probably right it’s more likely that someone there will own a Dji also than here owning a Autel

I also was excited to hear about the EVO. Especially when it mentions the one inch sensor. However it appears the EVO if and when it's released it will not have a one inch sensor. Another concern is that even the X-star is not available for sale.

Reactions: DroneJI
I also was excited to hear about the EVO. Especially when it mentions the one inch sensor. However it appears the EVO if and when it's released it will not have a one inch sensor. Another concern is that even the X-star is not available for sale.

Yea I think they are having trouble competing with Dji since Dji has a lot more $$ for advertising their products but you never know Autel may rise above Dji and give them a real run for there money! I think Autel may need some good investors to help them problem right now is the drone market is exploding and there are a lot of small and new startups trying to get in on the action most will probably fail! But a healthy competition usually keeps company’s like Dji in-line something they aren’t worried about right now.

Reactions: ToddR
I saw it mentioned here recently that Autel is having production problems, and the EVO hasn't even begun its production run. In other words, only the prototypes exist as of now. May be right - may be wrong, but it sounds about right from what we've seen of DJI competitors. Advertising the 1" sensor had everyone talking. Now they've backed down on that statement. I think that's going to hurt them. They should have just kept their mouth shut - like DJI does until days before a new release.

I saw it mentioned here recently that Autel is having production problems, and the EVO hasn't even begun its production run. In other words, only the prototypes exist as of now. May be right - may be wrong, but it sounds about right from what we've seen of DJI competitors. Advertising the 1" sensor had everyone talking. Now they've backed down on that statement. I think that's going to hurt them. They should have just kept their mouth shut - like DJI does until days before a new release.

Your probably right they were shooting for the stars and ran into a road block could have been a design issue, the supplier of the sensor could not commit? When I worked in engineering for a photo lab company we had all kinds of issues that caused us to pull back and have to rethink due to unforeseen circumstances. I really hope Autel can pull this off Dji needs a major competitor to keep them inline it will benefit everyone!

Your probably right they were shooting for the stars and ran into a road block could have been a design issue, the supplier of the sensor could not commit? When I worked in engineering for a photo lab company we had all kinds of issues that caused us to pull back and have to rethink due to unforeseen circumstances. I really hope Autel can pull this off Dji needs a major competitor to keep them inline it will benefit everyone!
I have a small feeling that they underestimated the cost of the 1" sensor, when production time rolled around. Just a guess, though. The best thing any company can do (who wants to compete with DJI) would be to announce an excellent product just days before its release - AND - schedule that release for a time when DJI is between announcements. Give the market something new, that DJI cannot immediately poop on :)

It’s a long story about the phantom it’s been damaged by the firmware regardless of when I a, trying to get Dji to accept responsibility for it but it’s turning into quite a battle! I think there afraid that if they admit fault it will open up a can of worms they don’t want open
Just reading your posts and complaints on other forums. I’m not a big fan of DJI support, but i don’t think any company is going to come to the party and help you when you knowingly bought a damaged drone and the expect it to be fixed under warranty. Dude- be realistic
I also read that you may want to get rid of your MPP that you bought new and are having no issue with. How much do you want for it?

Just reading your posts and complaints on other forums. I’m not a big fan of DJI support, but i don’t think any company is going to come to the party and help you when you knowingly bought a damaged drone and the expect it to be fixed under warranty. Dude- be realistic
I also read that you may want to get rid of your MPP that you bought new and are having no issue with. How much do you want for it?

It should not matter who had it when I was damaged by Dji’s Firmware even GMC took care of issue with my Yukon’s fuel pump 10 years after the recall went out and I’m the third owner they did a $900 Repair free of charge because it was their fault! Dji is at fault so why are they not responsible just because I’m not the original owner? The person that sold it to me didn’t want to deal with it so I am! Think about it I’m more than realistic! And I want $1000.00 for the Mavic Pro Platinum it barely has a hour flight time on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga