DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using an iPad Mini Gen 2?

Scottalmas

Reactions
I am using an iPad Mini Gen 2 which seems, initially, to work fin but man does the battery era super fast. I get get about 25 mins max of total flight time on a fully charged iPad. Something has got to be wrong.

I do know my iPad battery has some age to it and is definitely compromised, but the only time I really see this problem is when I Fly.

I am trying to determine whether this is just a bad battery or whether the Gen 2 is simply not robust enough to handle flight.

Please share any useful info.

Thanks

I will as soon as weather Breaks, I have IPAD MINI 2 and Iphone 6 and Galaxy S8 and Nvidia K1 I fly with my P4 and now with my new Mavic Mini. Thou fly dont work with K1 so have the other 3.

Just seen this thread!

Reactions: cadbob
I was flying with an iPad mini 2 for about a year. The battery will last for about 7 full battery flights. The only problem I had was the processor is not fast enough. I could not cache videos while flying and filming, and I would get:8BA25857-222E-44D3-B628-9D652569276C.jpeg
I get the same warning with iPhone 6s.
I have been using an iPad mini 5 for 6 months now; no problems.

I'm getting the "device cpu fully loaded" error messages on my Ipad Mini 4 on starting up DJI Fly but not when flying.

I think it might be a struggle for the Mini 2 as new features are added to DJI Fly and the cpu resource requirements grow

Also DJI is not focusing the development of DJI Fly for any sort of tablet only 64bit phones so support for any tablet specific app issues will be non existent

Being winter where I'm at I loaded Fly on my mini 2 that I use for my P4 with Go and just hovered in Kitchen, all seemed ok course that was but 1meg of cache from flight. Fingers crossed here as would rather use a Tablet than my Galaxy S8

Being winter where I'm at I loaded Fly on my mini 2 that I use for my P4 with Go and just hovered in Kitchen, all seemed ok course that was but 1meg of cache from flight. Fingers crossed here as would rather use a Tablet than my Galaxy S8

I just deleted all non-essential apps and turned off very kind of background refresh, etc. that I could. Once wifey leaves for her errands today, I'll be doing the same: hovering a flying the mini around the house a bit to see what happens (I live in the Northeast so weather kinda stinks this time of year). Thanks for the input.

I am using an iPad Mini Gen 2 which seems, initially, to work fin but man does the battery era super fast. I get get about 25 mins max of total flight time on a fully charged iPad. Something has got to be wrong.

I do know my iPad battery has some age to it and is definitely compromised, but the only time I really see this problem is when I Fly.

I am trying to determine whether this is just a bad battery or whether the Gen 2 is simply not robust enough to handle flight.

Thanks
i use the ipad 6 generation with my mpp,m2p,ph4pv2 and haven’t had to many issues

Using a iPad Mini2 stripped to just a few apps + DJIFly... no probz or messages seen so far... no excessive battery discharge, but early days yet.
We've been socked into the clouds here on my mountain on the Blue Ridge east front for several days now. Gusts to 25, with steady at 10-15... my own personal NFZ.

Thanks
i use the ipad 6 generation with my mpp,m2p,ph4pv2 and haven’t had to many issues
I use iPad mini 2 (oly for Spark) and its battery is not a world champion, but works nearly a day.

UPDATE: I deleted everyone on the iPad Mini 2to the bare minimum to be drone only device and turned off background refreshing of apps, etc. After charging to 100%, I did some testing, hovering the MM in my garage and some actual flying, dodging rain drops as I was able.

After 19 min of flight time, the iPad read 95%. I shut everything down feeling pretty optimistic I had gotten to the root cause of the issue. I walked away from the iPad (now off) for about 15 minutes and came back to 74%. I then hovered in my living room for another 13 minutes or so and the iPad stayed at 74% . I completely powered off the iPad and started it up again. Now it reads 85%, the within seconds 84%, then 83% . I walked away for 5 minutes and now reads 72% .

It is all very, very strange behavior but not nearly as dire as it was with the iPad loaded with my email, Flipboard, Facebook, etc.

(I also didn't get the "Warning: Mobile device CPU . . . " message at all during this experiment).

It's now in Sleep mode and resting. We'll see what happens from here.

Any thoughts beyond (this is probably no longer (if it ever was) a MM forum topic and we're getting into troubleshooting an iPad?

Last edited:
Does the remote try to charge the ipad like it would your phone. I think I want to get a tablet for flying.

Given that with the three batteries I am going to have a max-flytime of 90 minutes and a recharge in hours, I don't see getting the iPad Mini topped back up as well as being much of a problem.

.... I just want the d**m wind around here to drop. It's been days since I could go play with my xmas toy!
[right now it's 12/gusting to 35 ground and I can hear it howling in the vanes on the radio tower up the hill, so I suspect it is gusting to 40-45 at +200 ]

Thanks guys for the response, that is good to know. I cant stand that it charges my S10+.

This factor rules out an Android tablet as well for me.

I bought a used ipad mini 4 from ebay. Every thing seemed to run fine and battery life was acceptable. But I found from a full charge it was down to 15% after running 3 MM full battery flights. I suspected a failing battery. Download a couple battery testing apps an they showed the battery was ok.

Not satisfied, I downloaded a 2 hr movie and ran it at full screen. The tablet did not make it to the end before powering off. Tried it twice more - failed every time. Obviously the battery was weak and beginning to fail.

I considered having the battery replaced but finally decided to return it and order a factory refreshed unit from Apple. Yes, the price was steep but it came with a new battery, new outside case and full warrantee as if it was a new tablet. My battery issue is now just a memory.

Thanks
It’s got to be your iPad battery. I have a 4 and I don’t even notice it going down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky