DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Approaching Helicopter......?

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Is there any way, other than sound, to determine if a helicopter is approaching? Sound is an obvious giveaway but there could be some circumstances when sound won't indicate a helicopter's approach. I'm just concerned about an approaching air medical transport helicopter not being heard till the last second. If I hear any approaching aircraft I immediately descend until I can precisely determine it's location.

Eyes & Ears are all you can rely on. There are some apps that report SOME aircraft but terrain, altitude, and other factors can cause delays or laps of coverage. Also not ALL aircraft are transmitting ADS-B unless in controlled airspace.

EYES & EARS!!

Hearing can be terribly inaccurate in some situations where geography or environmental noise alter the direction of an aircraft.

Is there any way, other than sound, to determine if a helicopter is approaching?
Yes, there is. Sight. And that's a significant reason for the VLOS requirement. Fundamental to the safety of VFR flight is the idea that every VFR pilot must observe enough of the airspace around the aircraft to see and avoid other potentially conflicting aircraft.

The reason I'm asking is that in the past year there were 2 medical evacs close by. I didn't own any drones then but the thought stuck in my mind. I just want to be as prepared as possible even though it might be an unlikely event.

Hearing can be terribly inaccurate in some situations where geography or environmental noise alter the direction of an aircraft.

Which is why I said Eyes AND Ears not just ears.

Which is why I said Eyes AND Ears not just ears.
I guess I should have expanded on my inquiry. I fly in a rural area and often times I launch from a clearing or small field. I always maintain VLOS and in those cases where I launch from a small clearing I only climb straight up to 200'-400', take my video and I'm down again. Although VLOS is kept the entire flight, having a visual on an approaching aircraft is very limited. I was hoping that there was some utility that would provide an additional method to warn me.

Edit - I always use a anti-collision light mounted on top as a precautionary measure.

Is there any way, other than sound, to determine if a helicopter is approaching? Sound is an obvious giveaway but there could be some circumstances when sound won't indicate a helicopter's approach. I'm just concerned about an approaching air medical transport helicopter not being heard till the last second. If I hear any approaching aircraft I immediately descend until I can precisely determine it's location.
My winter home is just over a mile from an active hospital helipad. Trust me when I say that MedFlight helicopters are loud. There is no doubt when one is inbound and I hear every time one starts up on the pad. They are heavy with all the life support equipment they carry so their power plant is quite robust.

Yes, there is. Sight. And that's a significant reason for the VLOS requirement. Fundamental to the safety of VFR flight is the idea that every VFR pilot must observe enough of the airspace around the aircraft to see and avoid other potentially conflicting aircraft.
"See and Avoid" is drilled into all manned aircraft students. No it is not perfect but the concept is good and your best shot. You are to keep your eyes outside the cockpit most of the time for several reasons including collision avoidance. Staring at the controller most of the time is not the best idea or they would call it CLOS (Controller) and not VLOS. Others have mentioned limitations to the see and hear but again you have to give your best effort to keep all safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
When I fly in an area where helicopters may be present (near hospitals, in cities) I always have a partner (VO) watching for them. I want to avoid a collision but in addition I don't want to get caught in their down draft.

When I fly in an area where helicopters may be present (near hospitals, in cities) I always have a partner (VO) watching for them. I want to avoid a collision but in addition I don't want to get caught in their down draft.
I take most on the forum as safety orientated and appreciate your cautious approach. There is a small fringe that will think it is too cautious. Very rare scenario that "too cautious" exists in aviation.

Whenever I fly in the proximity of any Heliport, I contact the Hospital Security and get the number for their dispatch, I have a list of those that I have flown near or those in my area. When I plan a flight, I call the dispatch prior to the flight. They let me know if they have anything scheduled to go in or out. They will also call me when I am flying when they get notified of a flight that is inbound. You SHOULD have a VO anyway if you are flying in or around any Heliports, especially of they are medical. So as part of your flight make sure your VO can hear the phone or has an earpiece to make sure he/she can receive the call from dispatch, this enables you to land for any departing or approaching aircraft. I notify them when I am taking off and again when I land.

Doesn't really matter. The helicopter has priority regardless and if there is any doubt the onus is still on you to deconflict as a precaution. If you don't have a dedicated spotter who can quickly locate the aircraft for you and advise then the simplest option is to descend to a safe altitude ASAP and wait until you can either get a fix on the helicopter or it's clearly gone past. You could also bring it back to you at a low altitude and land if preferred.

In many countries you're also meant to keep the drone in sight at all times, so if you don't have a spotter to find the helicopter for you, then you can't really scan the skies behind you either. That said, if I'm in the countryside and the risk of a crash causing any problems is sufficiently low, I do sometime "park" the drone in line with an object I can use to easily restablish eye contact with the drone it (e.g. a tree, structure) and quickly glance around in situations like this.

I nearly mistook your location for Guildford Surrey U.K. we used to live there so know it well. But you’re in NY. It was your “often times….” phrase that gave you away as an American. This topic leads me to ask if my MA2, bought here in the UK through Amazon, will have Air Sense. if so I don’t think it works here but might in the US when we visit next month. Any thought most welcome?

Whenever I fly in the proximity of any Heliport, I contact the Hospital Security and get the number for their dispatch, I have a list of those that I have flown near or those in my area. When I plan a flight, I call the dispatch prior to the flight. They let me know if they have anything scheduled to go in or out. They will also call me when I am flying when they get notified of a flight that is inbound. You SHOULD have a VO anyway if you are flying in or around any Heliports, especially of they are medical. So as part of your flight make sure your VO can hear the phone or has an earpiece to make sure he/she can receive the call from dispatch, this enables you to land for any departing or approaching aircraft. I notify them when I am taking off and again when I land.
I agree with that as long as they have it for that heliport.

I’ve tried contacting the one at the heliport I mentioned above. The only thing I ever got from anyone that answered was that it was illegal to fly within 5 miles of them. That alone told me they knew jack squat about any kind of aviation rules. I just keep my drone in sight and “see and avoid” like it our responsibility to do.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13