DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

April 2021 Change to Recurrent Exam!

Mpb4mavic

Reactions
It is surprising more people aren't voicing frustration. From absolutely nowhere did I receive an alert that the recurrent exam had changed. Additionally, I was allowed to register for the exam at my local test site through PSI, with whom I already had an account and registered for my previous two exams (initial and 1st recurrent) and who took $175.00 for what I believed was the recurrent exam. There was no option for the recurrent test, or flag anywhere, or redirect. I thought the rate had gone up.

The proctor at the exam site informed me of the change when I arrived at the scheduled date and time. She said the system wouldn't have even allowed the test because I am already a currently certificated remote pilot (needing 24 month renewal next month). She kindly provided a number to call PSI in order to get a refund from the FAA. I had to provide my tracking number and they said they'd process my refund, allowing me this one-time exception. I realize we've had a pandemic, but has anyone else experienced this? So, we just go online now and "shoop-shoop?" We're re-certificated?

It is surprising more people aren't voicing frustration. From absolutely nowhere did I receive an alert that the recurrent exam had changed. Additionally, I was allowed to register for the exam at my local test site through PSI, with whom I already had an account and registered for my previous two exams (initial and 1st recurrent) and who took $175.00 for what I believed was the recurrent exam. There was no option for the recurrent test, or flag anywhere, or redirect. I thought the rate had gone up.

The proctor at the exam site informed me of the change when I arrived at the scheduled date and time. She said the system wouldn't have even allowed the test because I am already a currently certificated remote pilot (needing 24 month renewal next month). She kindly provided a number to call PSI in order to get a refund from the FAA. I had to provide my tracking number and they said they'd process my refund, allowing me this one-time exception. I realize we've had a pandemic, but has anyone else experienced this? So, we just go online now and "shoop-shoop?" We're re-certificated?

First of WELCOME to the forum.

This "Change of Testing" was posted and well publicized electronically. The FAA doesn't "hold your hand" in matters of testing etc etc. Actually many states don't send notices for license etc any more (ask me how I know this LOL).

When you created your ONLINE Account to submit your initial testing results, that created a portal where a lot of valuable information can be found. Then there's the FAA website, FAA FB page, FAA IG account which are all Official avenues for FAA information.

Then there's this forum (and all of our sister forums listed below) where we take a great about of time to let our Membership know of any changes coming soon or way down the road. Here are just a few examples:

I'll be honest, you're the fist person I've seen complaining because the new "Test/Training" is now FREE and ONLNE.

First of WELCOME to the forum.

This "Change of Testing" was posted and well publicized electronically. The FAA doesn't "hold your hand" in matters of testing etc etc. Actually many states don't send notices for license etc any more (ask me how I know this LOL).

When you created your ONLINE Account to submit your initial testing results, that created a portal where a lot of valuable information can be found. Then there's the FAA website, FAA FB page, FAA IG account which are all Official avenues for FAA information.

Then there's this forum (and all of our sister forums listed below) where we take a great about of time to let our Membership know of any changes coming soon or way down the road. Here are just a few examples:

I'll be honest, you're the fist person I've seen complaining because the new "Test/Training" is now FREE and ONLNE.
Is the online Part 107 recurrent exam required every two years? It's nearly a year and a half since I first took it.

I did my recurrent early just because of the changes that were involved since my initial test. I was up last June (2021) but took it as soon as it came out. Online and free were BIG bonuses.

Reactions: mavictk and GFields
Is the online Part 107 recurrent exam required every two years? It's nearly a year and a half since I first took it.
Yes.

Reactions: GFields
I did the Pilot Institute training to learn the new rules about flying over people and flying after civil twilight. Then I took the recurrent exam early so that I could simply file LAANC to fly at night. I didn’t run into your issue.

Reactions: mavictk

Yes that's the test/training you take to remain current or to be able to utilize new aspects of the regulations (ie: Night flights w/o waiver etc)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom