DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are most of your flight times close to 20 minutes? (not 31?)

dronerat

Reactions
I’ve logged about 50 flights now and basically all of them are 19-21 minutes long. I start full or very close to full battery and then I manually fly back to the launch pad soon after I get the RTH warning, usually ending with 10-20% battery.

On these flights I usually fly around a bit logging several miles distance and shoot quite a few photos, mostly still, in RAW+JPEG if that makes a difference.

Is this normal performance for the Air2S?

Reactions: SpitFire
I average between 21 to 26 minutes, depending mostly upon the weather conditions.

Remember, stronger winds means more motor power is needed to compensate, which drains the battery faster. The quoted 31 minutes is a laboratory style result in next to no wind at a hover. Basically the best you can possibly get out of it.

Also if you charged your battery and waited 2 or more days before flying, the batteries will launch at around 92~95% rather than 100% because they auto-discharge when not used after some time to protect the battery health.

Nutshell : The real world results are almost always less than the ideal lab tested result.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
All my flights are 20 to 25 minutes long, leaving the battery with only 15 to 20 %
power. Using that system, rotating the batteries usage, I have batteries that are 5 years old. FLY SAFE & HAVE A GOOD FLYING EXPERIENCE

Reactions: rgarjr
I’ve logged about 50 flights now and basically all of them are 19-21 minutes long. I start full or very close to full battery and then I manually fly back to the launch pad soon after I get the RTH warning, usually ending with 10-20% battery.

On these flights I usually fly around a bit logging several miles distance and shoot quite a few photos, mostly still, in RAW+JPEG if that makes a difference.

Yes, always. I land at 30% and I get about 17-18 minutes constantly.

I get about 18-22 minutes on my Air 2 flying in Normal Mode, a bit of wind. 4K Recording and some photos.
This is normal, you don't need to expect 30 minutes.
Maybe while hovering with no wind, or flying very slowly you could achieve about 28 minutes (that's my maximum actually), but I don't think you can ever get over 30 minutes without modding the battery.

I also get around 20-21 minutes with my Air 2 landing at 20%. It really depends on weather and flight style. The 30 minutes are achieved in a laboratory with perfect conditions, flying at a constant speed, almost impossible to achieve in a real flight. I noticed that if I do an hyperlapse I can also get up to 25 minutes(with very little wind) , thats because the hyperlapse flying style is quite similar to the one used in the lab. Flying slowly at a constant speed and same direction.
My batteries have around 80 cycles each.

Based on my logs, I’m generally landing after about 20 minutes, with 30% battery left. My longest flight is 24 minutes, landing with 18% left, which was in almost perfectly calm conditions.

Sounds about right. That’s about the time I get. Keep in mind hovering uses more battery than you would think. Wish these was a bigger battery DJI would have released for it But then that also has its trade offs.

Reactions: dronerat
Flying steadily without hovering gives the longest flight times if you accelerate/ turn/ break gently with slow stick movements. Every change of speed or direction requires energy to overcome inertia. If you are heavy on the sticks, you'll burn your 'fuel' faster just like driving a car. Try hypermiile drone flying and you will increase flght time noticeably!

Reactions: dronerat
Flying steadily without hovering gives the longest flight times if you accelerate/ turn/ break gently with slow stick movements. Every change of speed or direction requires energy to overcome inertia. If you are heavy on the sticks, you'll burn your 'fuel' faster just like driving a car. Try hypermiile drone flying and you will increase flght time noticeably!
Ah I didnt realize that, I assumed hovering in place/standing still would be most efficient for the test! Also when I do normal flights I AM heavy on the sticks, I have a bad habit of flying full throttle pretty much whenever I move the thing unless Im shooting a video panning around the scenery. lol.,..that explains a lot

The manufacturer quoted flight times are always over-exaggerated. Tell potential customers that your drone stays in the air longer and you sell more of them. Good rule of thumb is to take the quoted time and shave 8 minutes off. Quite a few tech-testers have tried to re-create the conditions stated by DJI and not one of them has ever gotten near the spec-sheet numbers for any of their drones. Real world conditions will always alter the flight minutes remaining display. Watch it while you're flying - give it full throttle and the number of minutes remaining before RTH drops. Take your thumb off the throttle and it climbs back up. Same happens with wind gusts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan