DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are quality control issues sorted out with the Mavic Mini?

easyheimer

Reactions
Shortly after release I have been reading several stories of the Mavic Mini acting erratically and having quality control issues. Has DJI seemed to fix these bugs or issues that many people were having?

I treated myself to a Mavic Mini for a New Years present and got a really nice combo for what I feel is a good price especially without tax. Just want to know if I made a mistake or is this drone at a point where it can be purchased without having to worry about bugs after release? I know no matter what there is a risk of failure with anything but want to make sure it’s not a completely flawed product.

Here’s a link to the bundle I got:

I haven’t had any perceived problems with my mini at all. The quality for such a featherweight drone actually is pretty decent. You have to remember there are a lot of first time pilots taking to the air with this quad. There are going to be problems. Looks like a nice combo. That’s a lot of book bag for a mini though.

I have 2 Mini. No problem at all so far.

Reactions: easyheimer
to answer your question,from the perspective of a MPP and MM owner,lets begin with what the MM isn't
(1)its not meant to be flown high and far its not got the battery or motor power to fly in windy conditions
(2)because of its size it is more suited to lower and closer flying which requires slow and precise manual flying and inside with the prop cages fitted it is almost unbreakable
what it is good at ,is its portability ease of use, and ability to fly in small spaces and places where you would not want to send your expensive mavics

I haven’t had any perceived problems with my mini at all. The quality for such a featherweight drone actually is pretty decent. You have to remember there are a lot of first time pilots taking to the air with this quad. There are going to be problems. Looks like a nice combo. That’s a lot of book bag for a mini though.
That’s good to hear.

I actually have the Droneguard 250 for my Mavic Pro so I’ll probably be tossing the 200 on eBay or something and make some of my money back. I’ll just use the DJI case it comes with. Seems to hold everything nicely.

Reactions: old man mavic
to answer your question,from the perspective of a MPP and MM owner,lets begin with what the MM isn't
(1)its not meant to be flown high and far its not got the battery or motor power to fly in windy conditions
(2)because of its size it is more suited to lower and closer flying which requires slow and precise manual flying and inside with the prop cages fitted it is almost unbreakable
what it is good at ,is its portability ease of use, and ability to fly in small spaces and places where you would not want to send your expensive mavics

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I plan on flying this in small areas so as soon as I get it in the prop guards are going on. Also got DJI Refresh because for $40 you can’t beat the peace of mind.

The Mini is what it is ... not more haunted by quality issues then any other DJI product. Let go for that it has a new control app that as anything new in the app world needs to be honed.
Hardware wise it´s nothing new ... but it's light as a feather, with somewhat under powered engines completely without any obstacle detection support.

Don't treat it like it's a toy, drop it from 400ft & they can slice & kill
Read & understand the user manual ... and read it again.
Understand the limits of a feather high up in the air, light & under powered + strong winds = disaster
Don't start the learning process by launch inside
Understand what makes these 4 prop flying thing's stay stable in the air (IMU's, compasses & satellites)
Learn how to avoid getting those 3 things upset & confused (magnetic fields, sat. count & spread, when to calibrate & when to avoid)
Understand the limitations of WiFi control
Understand the regulations & rules
Keep it in visual line of sight
Start up in a wide open space & test of every functionality ... low & slow until everything is understood
Don't overrate the RTH functionality ... it's not a panic button that solves everything
Take your full responsibility as a pilot of the flight ... you can never (nearly) blame any other then your self when things go wrong

Lastly ...

At least 98% of what's written about the Mini in this forum are to blame pilot error.

Happy flying!

ignore the 250g weight limit as you already have a registered drone just stick your reg no on the MM as well due to the recent app and firmware update if you are flying indoors it has put restrictions on take off but you can override them in the app ,

I disagree with the underpower motors comment. The motors are perfect for size and purpose. It makes 29 Mph and with this combination lasts forever in the air. The mini handles the wind very well. I personally have been flying in strong winds 18 mph and yes you need to use sport mode to come back at 8 mph and this really impressed me.

Reactions: hiflyer201 and Jsun
I own one and have flown it several times without quality concern issues. This a very capable drone for what it is intended, as mentioned in this thread. Take your time to learn with it up close in an open area and as your confidence builds, venture out. I also own a Mavic Air and recognize the difference in capabilities. I think this is a good, quality drone for the value. May I recommend considering the fly more combo and DJI refresh for your peace of mind. Enjoy your safe and happy flying.

I disagree with the underpower motors comment. The motors are perfect for size and purpose. It makes 29 Mph and with this combination lasts forever in the air. The mini handles the wind very well. I personally have been flying in strong winds 18 mph and yes you need to use sport mode to come back at 8 mph and this really impressed me.
i think all those who have lost their drone would disagree with you i did not say the motors are in themselves underpowered, its the combination of a two cell battery and power output of the motors which mean it has less ability in a headwind ,and if you do not fly it in such conditions then you will not have any problems,i have had no issues with mine and i think it is a great drone for certain applications and it complements my MPP perfectly

i think the angle of attack the wind is very important, if the angle will be set in rth at 30 degrees everything will be better than now

I disagree with the underpower motors comment. The motors are perfect for size and purpose...

Respect your experience & fully agree with "- ...for size & purpose". Just puzzled over how that gets lost in between all distance & altitude record attempts ... in high winds.

The problem probably lays in how it's marketed & who's flying it ... a beginner drone

Here is the problem.

DJI will give the option to a "beginners" to use prop guards and select payload mode. This is clear in the manual that most of the beginners do not read. This option will limit the drone to 30 meters in the distance and altitude. Pretty safe for a beginner.

Also, the Pilot has the option to take off or not in windy conditions. Landing is mandatory.
The problem is that people fly the drone 10 times and feel like they are experts and forget the drone limitations and the weather rules.

Also if you don't wait to forget at least 9 satellites, don't take off. I glad DJI now implemented the warning with at least 8 satellites.

Here is the problem.

DJI will give the option to a "beginners" to use prop guards and select payload mode. This is clear in the manual that most of the beginners do not read. This option will limit the drone to 30 meters in the distance and altitude. Pretty safe for a beginner.

Also, the Pilot has the option to take off or not in windy conditions. Landing is mandatory.
The problem is that people fly the drone 10 times and feel like they are experts and forget the drone limitations and the weather rules.

Also if you don't wait to forget at least 9 satellites, don't take off. I glad DJI now implemented the warning with at least 8 satellites.
You've got the payload specs wrong.
From propguard manual:

After installing the propeller guards, the maximum flight speed (no wind) is limited to 18 mph (29 kph), and the aircraft's max service ceiling above sea level is 1500 m. Maintain visual line of sight of your aircraft even when using the propeller guards. To ensure flight safety, the flight height will be limited to no more than 120 m, and the distance is no more than 100 m.

The problem with wind is the maximum pitch at which the quad flies at. It doesn’t have the capability to compensate.

Had my mini for a few weeks now-I love it, it's brilliant!!
I'm afraid to say, but I think the problem a lot of people are having is because they don't read or adhere to the (online PDF) users manual which explains all the flying perimeters of this drone, and so they go flying in high winds or too low temps.etc etc. Also, perhaps they haven't updated the firmware, and, of equal importance to prevent flyaway minis, calibrated the compass and IMU.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52