DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

are the days of the drone coming to an end

I think if you like going to the city park and dog fighting in sport mode with a couple of buddy's..well that ain't gonna last. You do have to pick good time's and places to fly. If you feel you might be going to be Pi**sing people or wildlife off..you probably are..no question about it. We've learned one thing lately..you don't want to panic the masses. look what a few people did to the worlds supply of toilet paper
Good point

Drones are here to stay, this a hobby, I’ve had many over my years. But owning a Harley taught me a lesson about hobbies; you never get back what you have invested!
So, if you can’t afford to loose all your investment, then you might as well take up coloring books! ?‍♂️

Not of the “drone”. But of the recreational drone flyer...yes. Places to fly, regulations and cost will diminish significantly the pure recreational flying much as those same things did to general aviation recreational flying. If it costs a lot, requires licensing and is abusively regulated, it will crush the recreational market.

Just use common sense and a good attitude and you'll still get great enjoyment out of the hobby. On the contrary; now is the time to get some of the best sweeping beach video panoramas.

Well I sold my spark because of this and am down to just 3 drones now :)

Not of the “drone”. But of the recreational drone flyer...yes. Places to fly, regulations and cost will diminish significantly the pure recreational flying much as those same things did to general aviation recreational flying. If it costs a lot, requires licensing and is abusively regulated, it will crush the recreational market.
I agree100%

Case in point, this just popped up on my feed.

Key word here is commercial, recreational use may indeed be over for many. I was going to buy a Zoom but decided not to due to all the new regulations and fees. No doubt recreational use will suffer.

It seems that you are right. For sure this flying a drone is almost dead as an "hobby" (getting killed by the administations, politicians, complicated opaque rules etc... ! ! The winners are all big company and business (not necessary to cite few names as everyone knows them ;-(
So, let me go now to fly (with my head full of regulation ;-)

It seems that you are right. For sure this flying a drone is almost dead as an "hobby" (getting killed by the administations, politicians, complicated opaque rules etc... ! ! The winners are all big company and business (not necessary to cite few names as everyone knows them ;-(
So, let me go now to fly (with my head full of regulation ;-)
Not in the US I believe, despite the requisite doom and gloom sayers.

Reactions: Meta4 and umanbean
Not in the US I believe, despite the requisite doom and gloom sayers.
As an old fart I have seen many changes, more and more I have seen the government taking over our lives, one has to be blind to not see it, it has taken our freedoms away one little bit at a time, It's like the frog on the stove in a pan of water, they just raise the temperature a very little at a time, (remove your freedoms a little at a time) you don't notice because it's just a little at a time, just like the frog, till he gets cooked, you are loosing your freedoms just a little at a time, by the time you realize this, like the frog, you have lost all your freedoms its to late, just like the frog that's cooked. I'm 87 I've seen it coming. disagree if you like, but think real hard about what's happening with the drone regulations.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I have, and made my input to FAA months ago.
Still no word on the final form of proposed new regs from them.
I don’t believe they’ll make us criminals nor our drones illegal to fly.... as was done for driving cars when seatbelts became required by law.
Of course time will tell.... and yes, we should all pay attention to what they, or any government agency does when interpreting congressional mandates.

As an old fart I have seen many changes, more and more I have seen the government taking over our lives, one has to be blind to not see it, it has taken our freedoms away one little bit at a time, It's like the frog on the stove in a pan of water, they just raise the temperature a very little at a time, (remove your freedoms a little at a time) you don't notice because it's just a little at a time, just like the frog, till he gets cooked, you are loosing your freedoms just a little at a time, by the time you realize this, like the frog, you have lost all your freedoms its to late, just like the frog that's cooked. I'm 87 I've seen it coming. disagree if you like, but think real hard about what's happening with the drone regulations.
I like what you say very much...AMERICA today is not what it was before 9-11, and not anything at all like it was in the 1950s...a little at a time is exactly how it happens...take care old timer...God bless you!

Reactions: Thomas B
Sounds more like communism to me!
Probably not appropriate to confuse a particular political ideology with regulations and public safety measures being acted upon the world over. SARS-COV 2 doesn't recognise political or geographic boundaries - hence COVID-19 continuing to run totally unchecked. Collectively, we should all work together using similar sorts of self-preservation tools. If it means informing the authorities; the outcome of which, lives are potentially saved - then at the moment, so be it!

Happy and safe flying
? ;) Thumbswayup

Reactions: Classic flyer
Probably not appropriate to confuse a particular political ideology with regulations and public safety measures being acted upon the world over. SARS-COV 2 doesn't recognise political or geographic boundaries - hence COVID-19 continuing to run totally unchecked. Collectively, we should all work together using similar sorts of self-preservation tools. If it means informing the authorities; the outcome of which, lives are potentially saved - then at the moment, so be it!

Happy and safe flying
? ;) Thumbswayup
I agree 100%...well said...be smart fly safe

Maybe he meant that because all the new rules, regulations and tests etc that his days of droning are coming to an end?
I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant. I can’t help but think that the window of more-or-less freedom we’ve had to fly when/where we want (within reason of course) is closing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J