DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there any strobes that will keep the weight under 250g now that the Mini 2 has a few extra grams to play with?

i did this measurement and mine has 242 with the battery inside and 245 with all dressed in decalgirl foil

I'm looking on Amazon for a strobe and I've seen people recommend Lume Cubes but they look quite a bit heavier than some of the others that are basically an LED on top of a small chip. I've never used or seen a strobe so I don't know if it's even feasible to get one in the ~10g the Mini 2 has to work with to stay under 250g. Any recommendations? Thanks
$5 registration will remedy that issue ??

Reactions: Thomas B
After about two hours total lifetime drone hours, I really want a strobe. My Mini2 is darn near invisible more than 200 feet downrange. If it's against a complex background, forget it.

For pilot seeing the drone, you need bottom mount. For other aircraft seeing the drone, you need top mount, so two strobes would be optimal. But the Mini has precisely zero room on the bottom for anything, let alone an inch-square circuit board.

That leaves the sides as the obvious place to mount two strobes, one on each side, that way there's no problem with blocking the cooling vents or the on/off switch. If you close the arms, there's even enough room for the strobes between the legs when closed. No problemo.

C'mon, DJI, put some little self-powered dome strobes on there! I can't believe they've overlooked this. The lawyers would be doing cartwheels.

Meanwhile, this little aircraft is downright amazing. :)

Reactions: Flypic
Very good. Yes the Mini 2 sounds good. I have the Mini 1 and very pleased with it. Mainly for the portability and ease of use. Would be great for holidays if we were allowed to take one !

Jim

Just ordered this from Ali-express ! don't state weight but look good???

I'm looking on Amazon for a strobe and I've seen people recommend Lume Cubes but they look quite a bit heavier than some of the others that are basically an LED on top of a small chip. I've never used or seen a strobe so I don't know if it's even feasible to get one in the ~10g the Mini 2 has to work with to stay under 250g. Any recommendations? Thanks
Be carefull if you go over 250gr in Europe. (EASA-rules) Then you have to go a test and qualify for a "Dronecard".
If you stay under 250gr you are also allowed to fly closer to people then if your drone are over 250gr.

I live in upstate NY. I have several drones. I registered all but the Mini and Mini2.
Speaking for many of us in this state I can understand not wanting to register everything. We are just sick and tired of our moron Governor acting like he is God and taking things from us and dictating what we can and can not do. It's a mind set.
But if people want to keep under the limit and fly at night legally, I can get behind that. As for adding other accessories, I think that is a futile effort...and maybe they should just upgrade to a larger drone and pay the fee and have more options.
I don't plan to register my minis (until they close that loop hole...and I'm sure they will). I fly AEE and DJIs a lot and they are all registered. My understanding is that they want to make registration/re-registration mandatory every 3 years and an additional fee per drone in the future. I think that's ridiculous, even though it would still be under $60.00 every 3 years for me.
Have you heard anything about this?
I get you. There seems to be a mind shift with a large part of the populace that think that more laws, regulations and restrictions somehow make them safer or make society better. And those of us who grew up in an earlier era know that laws and regs can't protect everybody from everything and 85% of the time doesn't make life better, but does the opposite. So much more to say about this, but I'll stop here.

EyeLights just arrived quite bright and light!! As for covering the 4mm air vents if you look at the camera I think
the large hole there will let enough air through the drone :) .. Plus being on front of drone you can see it coming back, the drone already has light on back? It also does not cover the small light on front..

Attachments

• leds 1.jpg
    leds 1.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 38
  • leds 2.jpg
    leds 2.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 38
Would not have thought so? Filters stop light entering the lens, we need as much light
as poss at night?

Added a vid to show brightness in dark? Not a great vid just off my phone!!

Eyelights video on youtube.

For a mere 5 dollar reg fee, put any strobe you like on the Mini2 ??‍♂️

Reactions: Thomas B
Firehouse sells some very light weight strobes ..plus are very bright.

Why would you use a filter at night?
I wouldn’t fly with a filter at night. It is now against the law to fly at night. After the M2 gets 50 yards away, you can hardly see it and is almost impossible to find if you take your eyes off it, a strobe makes it much easier to see, and it just might be so bright that you would want to use a filter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User