DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there any strobes that will keep the weight under 250g now that the Mini 2 has a few extra grams to play with?

I wouldn’t fly with a filter at night. It is now against the law to fly at night. After the M2 gets 50 yards away, you can hardly see it and is almost impossible to find if you take your eyes off it, a strobe makes it much easier to see, and it just might be so bright that you would want to use a filter.
Yeah, it was a lame attempt at being facetious -- but my wife doesn't appreciate my sense of humor, either. :p

But anyway, if Part 107 pilots will now be able to fly at night, I'm thinking that alone might make it worth the effort to get certified.

I'm new to Mavic mini 2 , (having previously owned a Phantom 3 Pro, and I have also have a Mavic Air2). To the people who are commenting on the fact that going above 250 grammes is not important, I would just say, it is if you live in the UK. There are very few restrictions on flying those drones under 250 grammes, but many on those above 250 here in the UK, and I believe also in EU countries. UK Police will be aware of the importance of weight, and I would not like to have to go to court to explain why my drone was above the permitted weight for where I was flying, even if it was only a couple of grammes. The safety aspect (lights showing), may well be good mitigation and might even reduce the fine, but is not a defence. I'm going to keep searching for the strobe underneath that will still leave me under 250 grammes.

Reactions: tibzee
I'm new to Mavic mini 2 , (having previously owned a Phantom 3 Pro, and I have also have a Mavic Air2). To the people who are commenting on the fact that going above 250 grammes is not important, I would just say, it is if you live in the UK. There are very few restrictions on flying those drones under 250 grammes, but many on those above 250 here in the UK, and I believe also in EU countries. UK Police will be aware of the importance of weight, and I would not like to have to go to court to explain why my drone was above the permitted weight for where I was flying, even if it was only a couple of grammes. The safety aspect (lights showing), may well be good mitigation and might even reduce the fine, but is not a defence. I'm going to keep searching for the strobe underneath that will still leave me under 250 grammes.
See Post #71, only 7g

These are perfect for what you are looking for, I have just ordered the single white with underneath mount:

Reactions: raymairjr
All this just to avoid a $5 charge for three years registration?
Are you really that cheap?
Different countries different laws. In Canada when you go over the 250grams you not only have to pay to have your drone registered but you also have to take a test, pay a fee and then be retested every two years. You also are no longer exempt from most of the Canadian drone laws, other than the don't do something stupid rule. So in Canada it is a big deal.

I'm looking on Amazon for a strobe and I've seen people recommend Lume Cubes but they look quite a bit heavier than some of the others that are basically an LED on top of a small chip. I've never used or seen a strobe so I don't know if it's even feasible to get one in the ~10g the Mini 2 has to work with to stay under 250g. Any recommendations? Thanks
I use this. Works great. Four colors. Light: Fixed, on/off or strobe. Weight 18grams

Attachments

• strobe.jpg
    strobe.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 20
Exactly the same in the whole EU and Switzerland. For US guys "it's just $5", but for us it's "you can/cannot fly" no matter how much you pay.
In the whole EU, UK and Switzerland You CAN fly the Mini2 regardless its weight, if you pass the test for a dronelicens.
Even if its weight is over 25kg for a special permission and dronelicens,

We
242g according to DJI
Weighted mine using a medical scale... 238.2 grams. Added a LumeCube with velco adhesives and removed the charging port cover... total weight 248.3 grams. (Note: this is NOT an affiliate link)

Last edited:
Any of the commonly used strobe lights is going to make it exceed 250 grams.
Not necessarily.
Weighed on a medical grade scale (without the gimbal cover!) mine is at 238.2 grams.
I added my LumeCube (not color dome) but with the velcro attachment pads AND removing the charging port cover, total weight comes in at 438.3 grams. The charging port cover will add 0.5 grams.

In the whole EU, UK and Switzerland You CAN fly the Mini2 regardless its weight, if you pass the test for a dronelicens.
Even if its weight is over 25kg for a special permission and dronelicens,
If you CAN fly then you CAN fly ;)
But it there are places where you CANNOT fly. All "yellow/orange/pink/red zones" - different kinds of CTR/ATZ/TRA/etc. I'm surrounded by them from all directions. So no, at least in Switzerland, there are zones "only <250g are ok". 1g more and you need permission, sometimes days ahead of the flight. Or you can forget it. That was one of my key reasons why I bought MM2 and not MA2. I'm too often in "you'd better fly with something light" area here. PS. AFAIK in Poland is similar situations with eg. ATZ<1km and ATZ<6km (MM2 and MA2 can fly there, but not M2P). In Austria and Spain was more or less alike, but that might be not true since there is revolution in laws in EU. I check a few days ago Spanish ENAIRE site and, if I'm not mistaken, it seems there are still there "MM2 friendly zones" in the area of my interest.
However, since in CH we still have our own rules - the change of law will come later this year (or not) and I cannot travel right now, I'm focused on local zones.
So A1/A3 licence is a one thing and I have it (but it's valid for EU, not in CH), but still every country has it's own way to define zones and what you can do there.

Cheers.

Reactions: JesterBalowski
Don't get it its a toy drone stick to the rules and pay your fees and have fun easy as that rigsby.

This is NOT a toy. Firehouse makes light enough strobes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54